Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 576567 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
If anyone just starting wants to hole up in my leaning tower for the first few plays, feel free to go to the fourth floor, pick a room, and set your /home to there.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Axem

So I've been meaning to try Minecraft out for awhile. I knew I would be hopelessly addicted to it, so I waited until I was off from work to buy it. And having now bought it, I was right. After playing around a bit in single player yesterday, I struck out for HLP's server today. Lots of neat stuff you've built!

I struck out south east of the manor. Built up a nice house and stuff. Then went exploring in a vast cave system I stumbled upon. After a lot of not-quite-dead-ends, I finally hit a point where the system ended. So rather than finding my way out, my brother (another avid Minecrafter) suggested I just start digging stairs out. So I digged and digged and eventually ended up... right next to my house. That's some luck there. I think I'll extend my house over top the entrance and label it as "Entrance to Sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub Basement" (characters permitting of course).

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
...So rather than finding my way out, my brother (another avid Minecrafter) suggested I just start digging stairs out...

Check the Minecraft wiki for the article on caves. The section dealing with exploring them has a number of methods on how not to get lost. The third point, using cobblestone arrows, was invented by me. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
qaz or rhx should make a warp point near the far lands.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just bought this, I'm going to get used to it on single-player first for a week and then might look at some online stuff :D

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Crap...I still don't know what the hell I'd build, but looking at what you guys are up to is giving me this subconscious urge to cruise around your server.  Someone stop me before it's too late!

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I also think I might grab Minecraft and check out the server.  However, I have a question.  I've seen around the Minecraft forums that if you bought the alpha version, you get free updates for life.  But Minecraft has now moved in to beta...  So my question is this:  If I buy the beta version, do I still get the free updates?  Or in speed-reading the forums, have I misunderstood something?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I also think I might grab Minecraft and check out the server.  However, I have a question.  I've seen around the Minecraft forums that if you bought the alpha version, you get free updates for life.  But Minecraft has now moved in to beta...  So my question is this:  If I buy the beta version, do I still get the free updates?  Or in speed-reading the forums, have I misunderstood something?

You get free updates up to, and including, the "final" release later this year. After that, who knows.

I'm an alpha buyer, so I got it 4lifedawg.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Well... this is odd, the server is no longer allowing me to join.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
me neither...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I guess the server is down. That does explain why I can't use the map.Ah well, I was looking forward finishing my damn inn after having finally murdered enough sheep for the wool needed. :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 08:31:50 am by Pred the Penguin »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah, it stopped working around 9 hours ago for me.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
we need information..when will it be back?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline rhx123

It'd crashed for some reason.
It's back now.
In future ask qaz if im not about becayse he can restart it too.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I'm near constantly on the HLP IRC channel, so just pop in there and yell at me. :P

Quick examination of the server logs shows the downtime to be due to running out of RAM, the garbage collector throws an out of memory error and the server goes warblgarblblarg. However, it doesn't appear to actually crash, there's a period of about 12 hours where all that's in the logs is information on whether the server is raining or not. This means that it's unlikely any data was lost during the restart. Given that this is the first time it had occurred, the server had been running non-stop for the longest time ever, and that a simple restart seems to have fixed the problem, we can assume that this shouldn't be too much of an issue in the future.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:52:44 am by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline rhx123

**SAD NEWS**
Unfortunatly, the company which I rent the server from is going to change hands or go kaput very soon (talking a day).
Moving to another server hoster won't be a problem, however I won't be able to afford the price increase.
If this happens, how would people feel about giving me a small donation on paypal every month (I'd only need about £2 each of 3 people) to make it work.
Sorry about this, if the worst comes to the worst I will upload the map and config so you can continue work on the fenris and whatever.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken