Author Topic: One more.  (Read 3200 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Name one other game that has survived as long as FS2 and enjoyed the same level of success. How many other SCPs do you see?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, Warzone 2100 kept going as an SCP for a while, it's kind of a pity they stopped, I love that game, and the final release of the SCP had dodgy AI, but I really don't think they had the resources or staff to back them up.

Starcraft has been running for almost a decade now. Other then that, I don't think there's any other game that has lasted this long.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Let's not forget that Quake is as old as Freespace, come to think of it :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Ace Combat and Final Fantasy are older than FreeSpace.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Err, yes, but FreeSpace series consisted of two games and one expansion for the first of them, and there hasn't been any new canon content since the publication of FS2, whereas Ace Combat series has games one through six plus Zero plus X plus Advance, if you count the PSP/GBA games. Same with FF series, there's 13 (!) installments in the series, which kinda makes the cynic in me snicker slightly at the name of the first game in the series, seeing how it wasn't very final at all. :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Oh right...

Well, Totan Annihilation.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how about half life! :D
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
In other words, you're asking if any games have survived unsupported for this long. There are a few comparable examples I think.

Tribes 1 is about as old, but hasn't been abandonware for anywhere near as long as FS; the master server was only shut down some months ago, at which point the community stepped in. I still play it on a semiregular basis. TopGuns Berserkers server if you're wondering. (Shazbot!)

Lessee. Star Control 2, which was remade and ported to modern OS's by the community. But I wouldn't call it completely abandonware, since Toys for Bob is lobbying hard with their publisher to make a new game in the series. The game reconstruction project (Ur-Quan Masters) is about as old as the SCP.

Allegiance isn't quite as old as FS, but is community supported with its own SCP.

The Marathon trilogy was released as freeware and still has an active (if diminished) fanbase, under the aegis of Aleph One (essentially the Marathon SCP).

Can't think of any others atm.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Red Baron. The one and only. The best ever flight simulator when compared to similar products of it's time as well as it's radical ideas - I mean, it had polygonal models for crud's sake! And you could fly through the whole war in pseudo-dynamic campaign mode! From three sides of the war, and you could even paint your airplane as well as request squadron transfers and stuff... it is a great game even today, as soon as the immersion hits in I actually can't find it in myself to care about how crude the graphics and sounds are compared to today's standard (and they aren't even that bad IMHO anyway).

Grand Prix 2, the bestest ever formula 1 game when compared to similar products of it's time as well as the jump from previous versions. Also by many considered to be bestest ever F1 game period. Who cares about fugly sprite pit crew, drivers and cars being from 1993 (or 1994? I can't remember...) and graphics being limited to 800x600 when the sounds kick ass like no tomorrow, gameplay is pretty much unmatched and the cars still have slick tires and no nancy boy traction control (or, well, the driving aids are ther ebut they are more of a hindrance as soon as you learn to drive without them...)?

These two are perhaps still played by some, I would be amongst them if my current GPU would be actually VESA compliant. Though I doubt that their userbase would be as active as FS2(_Open) has, but anyway.

Also, X-Wing series of games counts as one of the legends that just keep on going.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Is Diablo II still strong or did WOW kill that too. It's been a couple of years since I played
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
quake or doom even
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Descent?

The original two survive still in the form of the D2X-XL project.

And D3 still has a fairly strong community, does it not?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Grand Prix 2, the bestest ever formula 1 game when compared to similar products of it's time as well as the jump from previous versions. Also by many considered to be bestest ever F1 game period. Who cares about fugly sprite pit crew, drivers and cars being from 1993 (or 1994? I can't remember...) and graphics being limited to 800x600 when the sounds kick ass like no tomorrow, gameplay is pretty much unmatched and the cars still have slick tires and no nancy boy traction control (or, well, the driving aids are ther ebut they are more of a hindrance as soon as you learn to drive without them...)?

Grand Prix 2 kicks backside. It's better than Grand Prix 3 and 4 (mainly since the engine didn't suit them).

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
IL-2 Sturmovik.  Released in 2001 and the most recent directly derived release was this year in early 2007.  The game engine is being retired in favour of a new engine.  Thats a pretty long run.

Actually LOCK ON another flight sim has had a technically long run in that LOCK ON itself was derived from Flanker and Flanker 2.0/2.5 which have been around longer than FreeSpace.  There aren't a huge number of games that have lasted a long time in one form or another but there are others.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

What about Falcon ?  They re-released it just this a couple years ago with upgraded graphics (Falcon 4.0: Allied Force).  Falcon 1 was released in 1987.

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Counterstrike.
The Signature is a Nuke!