Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908113 times)

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Whooooooooa. I just finished. Whooooooooooa.

I felt hunted. I felt trapped. I felt afraid. I felt rage at the Tevs. This mod is amazing, and I'm glad the BP team took so long to polish and perfect it. Now, I just need to wait another 3 years for part 2. :D
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It probably won't be 3 years for Part 2. The reason WiH took so long is because it was built up from scratch twice (an alpha build was dumped completely for not being awesome enough). It was also developed concurrently with AoA:DC. And it still took about 1/4 as long as most big mods. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I felt hunted. I felt trapped. I felt afraid. I felt rage at the Tevs. This mod is amazing, and I'm glad the BP team took so long to polish and perfect it. Now, I just need to wait another 3 years for part 2. :D

Actually, War in Heaven only took about fifteen months!

Also how do you get rid of that flash that keeps apearing it keeps causing this to come up i thought you could stop it in the launcher but i cant find it.
LUA ERROR: [string "mv_exp-sct.tbm - On Mission Start"]:593: attempt to index local 'l_anim_flash' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:
Name:      (null)
Name of:   (null)
Function type:   (null)
Defined on:   0
Upvalues:   0

Source:      (null)
Short source:   
Current line:   0
- Function line:   0

LUA Stack:

STOP USING A DEBUG BUILD. Play with a release build.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Then your mediavps and blueplanet installation is not done right. If you use final .12's and your mediavps and bp installation is done right, you get no debug errors.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've asked him for a debug log. Stand by.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Support ships made vishnan beam noises when reloading primaries.  :confused:
Noticed this too
This shouldn't be possible. Those rearm sounds are hardcoded to use sound indexes 200 and 201, neither of which is used in BP2. These indexes should be empty.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Support ships made vishnan beam noises when reloading primaries.  :confused:
Noticed this too
This shouldn't be possible. Those rearm sounds are hardcoded to use sound indexes 200 and 201, neither of which is used in BP2. These indexes should be empty.

I had this happen once on the retail FS2 campaign when I had BP:WiH selected as a mod.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
What? Retail campaign has no ballistic primaries. Which means, even if there was a vishnan beam sound assigned to indexes 200 and 201, they would never play in the retail campaign unless you've modded some weapon(s) to be ballistic primaries.

Offline Kolgena

I will add that I also experienced a Vishnan beam effect on rearm. I believe it triggered right when I got undocked. Or, it was this weird funky sound that had me spinning about looking for the source before getting confused and giving up. I'm not too sure though, since I'm pretty good at selectively forgetting things like this to aid in immersion.

(first mission with the Uriel, also first mission with ballistic primaries)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, that is not debug log. Read the instructions in this topic: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=56279.msg1180359#msg1180359

So what i download CPU-Z and then what throw it in freespace directory and run it im confused

No. Simply select the -d or -debug build present in your FreeSpace 2 directory in the Launcher, run it, and post the log it generates in FreeSpace2/data/. This log will be called fs2_open.log.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
This might be kind of disjointed and rambling, bear with me...

I was asked by a team member to post a review. Since they create such awesome work for free, words of praise are their only 'payment' really, so I think they've earned that much at least.

First, a confession: I wasn't a huge fan of AoA at first. It was great fun, don't get me wrong, but I found the parallel universe plot amusingly cheesy. However it was still very enjoyable because the campaign took itself seriously, the missions were fun to play, and the music was excellent. Since then, it's become one of my favorite campaigns, but I digress... this isn't about AoA.

Spoiler:
First off, this is probably the most well written and well thought out campaign I've ever played. The prose added to the experience tremendously and was a joy to read. The fiction viewer pieces combined with the somber music really made me feel a sense of camaraderie with the Wargods (or foreboding in the case of red ants vs black ants). A million kudos for using actually using debriefing recommendations, btw.

I was assured that WiH would be a gritty, gruesome war story and wondered how that could be accomplished with FS's rather detached combat. Well now I know. I mean holy ****, radiation-poisoned evacuees drowning in their own vomit during EVA?  :shaking: I've seen a few people comparing WiH to BSG, and I can kind of see that, but as I'm writing this I realize that what it really reminds me of is the X-Wing novels. (That's a really good thing, in case you don't know.) Laporte is one cool cat, and it was great fun to watch her struggle with reconciling Ubuntu philosophy and the reality of warfare. Of course it was also great fun to BE her and feel the highs and lows of every victory and defeat.

I know a lot of HLPers have sided with either the UEF or GTVA, but I honestly feel conflicted even after finishing the campaign. I hate Steele's underhanded plots and douchebaggery. I hate to see Laporte and Co. crushed again and again. On the other hand... I don't want to see Xinny and Zero die, they're good guys, they went into the Lion's Den for God's sake. (Also, I'm old-school. I loved Derelict, so it was kind of bittersweet to see the 212th in one mission.) That zod rescue mission was nuts. I thought it might actually be a turning point in the war. Instead I ended up blowing away Scorpio 1 moments after chatting with him because I didn't want to die.

Okay so now let's talk gameplay. You devs are absolute maniacs. Whether you actually have or not, it certainly looks like you've thought out every possible detail of the war. Both fluff-wise and mechanics-wise you've set a new precedent in campaign-making. I mean seriously, the other day I was idling in #bp and Battuta's casually talking about "So yeah, the Aurora sets up a strike link, then passes it on the the other fighters in the area, and THEN they call in the SSM strike," and my mind was blown. Treb strikes, maxim strikes, SSM strikes, gunship strikes, torpedo strikes, strike strikes, WTFPWN Aeolus flak... son I am impress. Oh and all the unconventional stuff was cool too. Dating Simm, frakking QTE, hostage takan, all nice changes of pace.

Running out of steam here, going to wrap up. Playing as a woman was cool; strong female characters FTW. That massive explosion sound effect is god-tier. Difficulty was just right, I usually managed to barely squeak by on my first try on Medium (except on Delenda Est >_<). One Perfect Moment was nice, especially with the sucker punch that follows. The music was spot-on. It was cool to hear some of the same tracks from BP1, helped give it a sense of continuity. Steele is a magnificent bastard. Pegasi are terrifying. I totally caught the Red Faction: Guerrilla reference.

I now can't wait to do some balls-out crazy **** with the Fedayeen. :yes: (But I don't want to destroy the GTVA ;_;)

WiH was hyped up to be something amazing and you all delivered. Keep it up!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
What? Retail campaign has no ballistic primaries. Which means, even if there was a vishnan beam sound assigned to indexes 200 and 201, they would never play in the retail campaign unless you've modded some weapon(s) to be ballistic primaries.

Sorry, I didn't explain well.  I had the beam sound, while reloading my secondaries.  It was in the King's Gambit.

Offline Darius

That actually got identified and fixed for a while, but came back again for some unknown reason. By the time I noticed it again it was two days before release, and none of us felt like delaying release for a bug that should already be fixed.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The vishnan beam sound but has been fixed, again.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
THE ALTERNATE ENDING WAS AWESOME.

Spoiler:
I HUGGED MISTER CUDDLES! Then the Imperieuse jumped in and my invuln had somehow turned itself off. I almost died.

Offline ION3

Vishnan beam effect on rearm

Me too

Try just running in the opposite direction. ;7 The Nyxes can't keep up. When the gunships arrive, just kinda...steer back their way.

Haha alright, will do so. I thought I better not do this the first few (wait, few? ;D) attempts because I thought Simms is getting her ass kicked back there.
Anyway, I still Have no idea on point b, that conversation between you and Simms =/

Thanks though
-Alex

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Read the briefing carefully. Ng'Mei gives you a bit of advice on how to handle Simms.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

Actually, War in Heaven only took about fifteen months!

Also how do you get rid of that flash that keeps apearing it keeps causing this to come up i thought you could stop it in the launcher but i cant find it.
LUA ERROR: [string "mv_exp-sct.tbm - On Mission Start"]:593: attempt to index local 'l_anim_flash' (a nil value)

ADE Debug:
Name:      (null)
Name of:   (null)
Function type:   (null)
Defined on:   0
Upvalues:   0

Source:      (null)
Short source:   
Current line:   0
- Function line:   0

LUA Stack:

STOP USING A DEBUG BUILD. Play with a release build.

I got the same error, I solved this by downloading the core and the 2 visuals assets from Age of Aquarious since they've been updated.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Another bug report:  In Pawns, if you load from the checkpoint then the Disable objective for the Deimos never completes.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]