Author Topic: RELEASE — Blue Planet  (Read 170663 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Re: RELEASE — Blue Planet
The log says he's running BP on 3.8.0 somehow.

Yeah, I switched a number of the mods I downloaded from or to 3.8.0 and 19-RC2 to try and debug them. I admit that I have no idea what I'm doing. Hell, I still can't get Wings of Dawn's text to appear, but that's because I gave up on that for the moment because I want to finish Silent Threat or Freespace 2 Blue.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

The log says he's running BP on 3.8.0 somehow.

Yeah, I switched a number of the mods I downloaded from or to 3.8.0 and 19-RC2 to try and debug them. I admit that I have no idea what I'm doing. Hell, I still can't get Wings of Dawn's text to appear, but that's because I gave up on that for the moment because I want to finish Silent Threat or Freespace 2 Blue.

This is a known bug, search for wings of dawn font problem.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Can I just say how much I love reading through the Blue Planet tech descriptions on this page? There's a certain snark to some of them, indicative of somebody who's seen it all.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Can I just say how much I love reading through the Blue Planet tech descriptions on this page? There's a certain snark to some of them, indicative of somebody who's seen it all.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

And maintains its heretical Vasudan bias. ;)

Offline Tiranja

I suggest to rebalance the "Keeper of hell" mission a bit. Getting through this one was a torture with many repeatings. It is "almost" impossible to beat that mission.

Yeah, even with perfect wingmen commands and picking subspace jump missiles, it's very inconsistent to win on medium.
You have the two Ravanas to disarm, the ambush squad of Nahemas, the corvette, the cruisers, and the bomber attack.
The Corvette you can destroy almost instantly by killing the reactor. Fine.
The jump missiles are no trebs, and even against the cruisers it takes two double fires to take out one beam, their hitbox is also wacky to hit with your main guns.
Your wing of bombers are terrible at actually killing Shivan warships, their warheads do more damage to you than them it seems.
You can tell your wingmen to guard the keeper, but as they jump from multiple angles, there's no garantee they'll be in position to do much good. If you do it from the start though, you'll almost certainly die from the Nahema ambush, as you'll likely be shredded going for quick kills, they can chase you down (!), or you waste too much time dog fighting them and aren't in a position to disable the cruisers.

In short, it's a very "Ramirez, do EVERYTHING" mission.

Offline Tiranja

Yes that one was brutal :D I am glad I did it once (with the Keeper having 1 % left... ^^)

Another thing: I tried out that capital ship mission. Does my captial ship not fire that blue forward (main) guns at an enemy capital automaticly? It seems only to fire them if I overload?

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The Katana does fire them (if you didn't disable the gauss cannons via turret controls) but the reload times are pretty long. Overloading the guns gives you instant firepower. But it's not like these cannons actually deal a lot of damage, I think mass drivers (2km range) and torpedoes are the main damage deliverers here.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Gauss cannons are anti-subsystem snipers, yeah. They're very good at it, though. We had to do a lot of rebalancing in early BP2 dev cause the UEF warships were supposed to be inferior but they kept disarming the GTVA ships.

Offline Tiranja

Cool thanks :)

I still try to beat that capital ship single mission but the strike corvette is too hard to fight sadly.

Offline Mito [PL]

Use beam jamming to get close to the corvette once it arrives and then try to stay under its belly. The Diomedes has got a huge blind spot there and you can really use it well. Gliding also helps to use your main guns while you're there. There's also a decoy transport that you can use to draw the fire away.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Tiranja

Thanks I will try that out soon :)

Thanks for this incredibly awesome mod. Some say Age of Aquarius was not as good as War in Heaven, but I disagree. together they're simply perfect. I can't put into words how much I love freespace and this mod!

Offline maquise

• Steam
I might be missing something, but whenever I try to start the Blue Planet mod from Knossos, I get a "No Executable found for this Mod" error.

Offline Mito [PL]

I suggest you to enter the FSO Settings of the mod, and then select some (preferably recent) build, and make sure it's being pointed to an existing, valid exe. Then just save the settings.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I have major problem with the mission delenda est. I have tried just about everything I can think of to make it work but it continues to crash just a few minutes in. I have disabled every advanced graphics option in the fso graphics section. I have disabled motion debris under gameplay. I have tried using troubleshooting options 'only 2d sound' and 'disable geometry shader for effects'. I have disabled vertical synch. I have done all of this at the same time. I reinstalled everything associated with the game "GOG, the game, knossos, ect. I feel like I'm missing something obvious but If anyone has any suggestions at all I would really appreciate it. I just started playing Blue planet recently and have been really enjoying it so far. It is just on this one mission that this keeps occurring over and over again.

Completed the mission 'delenda est' only by disabling all sound in the audio section (Sucks to have to do this of all missions without sound). I have no idea why this worked. Not even disabling advanced sound in audio and enabling only 2d stereo sound in troubleshooting worked. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

I'm attaching my fs2_open.log, as well as the mdmp file (converted to txt) made when the crash occured. I also copied the error message it gave me when I tried to run fast debug. It froze before I even got to the home screen. I'm thinking maybe a sound file is copied to many times or is configured incorrectly? Thanks for the assistance.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:13:54 pm by SkyR22367 »