Author Topic: How do I change the font for the mainhall, techroom, etc but not the HUD?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline SL1

How do I change the font for the mainhall, techroom, etc but not the HUD?
The default font for the non-HUD stuff is too small for me to read comfortably. I've noticed that Sol: A History uses a larger, much more readable font for its menus. I tried copying its fonts folder and fonts.tbl over to my mediavps folder, but that also changed the HUD font, which I don't want to do. Is there a way to set it up so that the menus use the bigger font but the HUD keeps the default font?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: How do I change the font for the mainhall, techroom, etc but not the HUD?
Hi,
not familiar with the file you are using and I don't have a version of them on this device for reference, but it sounds like that in addition to copying fonts.tbl you need to make a change to hud-gauges.tbl (or mv_root-hdg.tbm) as well.

See this:
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Hud_gauges.tbl#.24Font:

tl;dr: Unless hud_gauges.tbl uses a string for the value of $Font it uses an index number generated by reading fonts.tbl's contents. Which will be different between two versions of fonts.tbl.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline SL1

Does the default font have a name I can type in so that the HUD switches to it?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Without having all the relevant files for reference, I cannot give you an actionable answer.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."