Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 135589 times)

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
No but see you don't understand unless they constantly worship at the altar of Our Lord and Savior Donald John Trump they're not really people so their deaths don't count
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

if they are leftist.

Any credibility you might have at all just evaporated with these four words.  This has nothing to do with political ideology.  By EVERY OBJECTIVE MEASURE, the American federal government has failed in its response to this pandemic and made the situation in the United States far worse than it needed to be.  The United States had the highest pandemic preparedness rating in the world going into this, and has fared demonstrably worse than every other first-world democracy whose data we can trust.  It might actually be doing worse than China, which you keep harping on, although for obvious reasons the Chinese data is untrustworthy.

No MP-Ryan you're a leftist now. Don't you know the lyrics of the Internationale by heart?

Everyone else is stuck in an echo chamber, says person whose primary source of news on the coronavirus is an alt-right youtuber.

When you think about it aren't we still picking up echoes of the Big Bang?? Which just proves reality is the biggest echo chamber of them all???
OMG outer wilds was political commentary after all

(Obligatory reminder to please go and play Outer Wilds, it's the best space game of all time)

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
<snip>
It might actually be doing worse than China, which you keep harping on, although for obvious reasons the Chinese data is untrustworthy.

Even though Chinese data might be untrustworthy, we also have other sources. The WHO states in today's Situation Report (https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200407-sitrep-78-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=bc43e1b_2) that there are 83k cases in China. China says it's about 81k. It's close enough to be a statistical error.
Potato!

Everyone else is stuck in an echo chamber, says person whose primary source of news on the coronavirus is an alt-right youtuber.

Yeah, I finally looked this guy up because some alt-right jackass has been spamming his **** for weeks on another forum I visit, and goddamn he's a piece of ****.

Getting myself banned from the DBB for the last three-ish years was probably a blessing in disguise.

Y'all need to stop using those acronyms for us poor not-english-speakers :P

Are you talking about the Dienst Bewaken en Beveiligen?

the Dongense Biljart Bond?

Double Ball Bearings?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Descent Bulletin Board. And no, BF, shockingly enough it was a different forum with a resident neo-Nazi cretin. We've pretty much driven out all of the DBB trolls through sheer persistence...well, except when woody comes back every few months because I guess he needs a whipping.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I feel more than a little bit churlish and selfish for wanting to post this here, especially since a lot more people are presently at a lot more risk than I am at the moment, but I just got back my covid test results yesterday. Thanks to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it was negative. So as of last Friday, I don't have the coronavirus.

My problem now is, after having taken two weeks off from working at the supermarket to recover from what turned out to be a common cold (not even the flu because I also tested negative for influenza), I have to decide if I want/need to go back to what is essentially the frontlines of this outbreak. I always appreciated it when customers thanked me for working at the supermarket during this crisis, but their thanks won't be of much comfort if I get sick and die just by going to work.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Bad news from Slovakia: over past few days the government implemented targeted testing of gypsy settlements and ghettos. There are over a thousand of these settlements in our country. As they have bad hygienic conditions, the risk of infection spread for Corona (basic reproduction number) R0 is estimated to be over 10, compared to 2-3 for general population. They also often tend to travel to western Europe for low paying work, which is another risk factor.

Testing first 30 of these settlements uncovered 5 of them have over 30 infected in total, and also first cases of possible community spread. These five settlements are now in quarantine. Extrapolating on all thousand settlements, we may have 1000+ cases that we don't yet know about, and spreading like fire.

Due to the nature of this pandemic, i.e. spread by international flights from Wuhan, we were "lucky" that it hit higher classes and wealthier countries first, which have the means to somewhat deal with it and slow the spread. This luck now seems to be running out...
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Trump promotes the use of hydroxychloroquine

Trump owns stock in companies that make it.

Is anyone even the slightest bit surprised?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

****ing hell, more people are now dying in the US daily then people in other countries have died in total.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
****ing hell, more people are now dying in the US daily then people in other countries have died in total.

Take that, world. We're number one!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
It's official. I'm tired of winning.

Offline starlord

Amazingly though, trump chooses to blame the WHO (you know the single entity that eradicated smallpox in 81) and threatens to withdraw support.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
AmazinglyPredictably though, trump chooses to blame the WHO (you know the single entity that eradicated smallpox in 81) and threatens to withdraw support.

Fixed that for you.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline starlord

I suppose, even though the stupidity behind that move is baffling.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

There are only 10 countries in the entire world that have had more deaths in total than the UK had on Wednesday alone. It's almost like electing a complete ****ing moron has repercussions.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Some good video on chloroquine because it's revelant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILowf7Tw7QY

I don't agree with Trump's call out that chloroquine is one of the possible coronavirus cures, in the spirit that a leader of a country must treat its populace as idiots they are, and if they get a notification of some cure, they will panic, compromise the supply of the drug (by buing it the **** out), die from overdosing (and this applies to every substance used as medicine and many others) or from ingesting something totally different and dangerous.

That said this looks like a good lead to me. The fact that some people are worthy of Darwin award here (self-medicine without any knowledge of proper treatment methods, doing so without any actual reason to other than panic, overdosing, and overdosing the wrong thing anyway) should not change the view on the research into it.

As for the research itself, I emphasise with the researchers. Surely the entire state of affairs in French healthcare system doesn't make attempting this research properly and with accordance with all the rules any easier. A good course of action would be to not drop chloroquine into the trash bin, but make sure we have properly conducted research on it with definitive and documented results, preferably as soon as possible.

Exempt from the video: on March 20th, the FDA approved chloroquine to be used, but only in hospitals. That is, places where a patient can be monitored for dangerous side effects.

As for the financial interest in chloroquine... Surely every single dollar Trump doesn't earn from this is worthy of any price, including thousands of dead.
Right?

Right?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Don't get medical news from random YouTubers.  There are numerous papers [in the public domain] on this subject, all of which are infinitely more credible than some random dude who claims to be a licensed medical practitioner in the US.

Chloroquine and its related compounds need extensive clinical testing before we will know if they are suitable for use, and numerous trials are underway researching this issue.  Notably, the CDC stripped some information on use off its website this week as there have been adverse cardiac interactions.

In short, the only people who should be talking about specific drugs and treatments right now are the doctors and researchers using them.  There are way too many opinions and half-baked ideas coming out from people who read one article in a paper and listening to a speech by some random politician or a YouTube video by some half-informed quack and there isn't near enough actual goddamn science on the subject.  I'm seeing morons on Twitter advocating cancellation of all control measures and we should just start dosing everyone with drugs because they are safe in another context and its an emergency.

ARGH.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline starlord

Agreed, not to mention that chloroquine is actually being prescribed for a number of reasons (lupus being one of them if I recall) and that that kind of rush might prevent people who absolutely need the drug to access it.

Also, just as a reminder: what is being investigated right now as a potential prescription for covid19 patients is NOT chloroquine alone but chloroquine and azythromycin combined. Many people tend to circulate half truths/half omitted stuff throughout YouTube of no value whatsoever, and the general public should be advised to stay away from this chaff. If you really want to read worthwhile info, get the publications off pubmed. Simple as that.

Another point of contention is at what stage of the disease should the treatment be administered. Basically there comes a point in the disease where viral charge isn’t so much of a problem as lung scarring. As such, allowing patients in the final stage of the disease to access a treatment aiming to lower viral charge might not be that good a plan.