Author Topic: Hi Poly Charybdis  (Read 22255 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I tried to see what it would look like if the legs rotated so the Chary could hypothetically land, and believe me, it looks stupid.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Axem

Well I think he's talking about parts of the legs opening up, not the whole leg moving. Which could be doable. But you guys realize I want to finish this sometime right? :p

Offline Kolgena

Really, the difference between it scanning and not scanning can be represented by whether the dome things are spinning or not.

Maybe add a docking thing for cargo their, then modify the legs so the inside surface is flat vertical, then have is so when they dock to a cargo size X, the slide inwards (not rotate) Y distance, then size Z, they slide W distance, etc.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Tomo

Maybe add a docking thing for cargo their, then modify the legs so the inside surface is flat vertical, then have is so when they dock to a cargo size X, the slide inwards (not rotate) Y distance, then size Z, they slide W distance, etc.
Unfortunately, that isn't feasible - such niceties aren't made available in the underlying engine.

I don't think you can do sliding entities either, although i could be wrong about that.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Just rotating IIRC, althoug the Diaspora/SCP coding team are working on improvements such as having guns rise into firing position.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Gorgeous. The amount of threads here where the modeller opens up with "it's finished", then comes back a few months later with something 10,000 times better just astounds me.

The transparent sensors are very cool. I'd like to see how they look broken, too.

Offline Axem

Today on: Axem's taking too damn long with a ship

Those damn legs. They're big, clunky, awkward, make no sense structurally, and are just a general pain in the ass. While I liked the last rendition I tried, they weren't IT. So taking a quick afternoon and a half off from FREDding, I came up with a another design. Instead of rotation, I use... TRANSLATION! (I know there's no translation yet, but think of the future lads!)

Basically the legs are suspended on rails that move the legs up or down, allowing them to minimize their profile from enemy fire, allow the Charybdis to land, or even disengage from the ship to allow quick replacements of the armor plate or sensor modules. The general concept seen below, with no modules.

And then with some fancy dancy equipment (with a nicer render)

So which legs, these super awesome minty fresh ones or the silly stinky goose old ones on hinges? (I am not biased one way or another...  :nervous:)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I liked the old one's hinges, but disliked the fact that it had big holes in it.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
well those look really like an aditional armor IMO, just like the side plates of the Hecate, that would give it a GTVA'ish feel.. I think you could go on with it, just check that the translation does not conflict with some of the turrets fire arc.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Can you even get turrets to move without messing things up? Cause the legs have a turret on it, and if turrets can't move it's kinda pointless trying to make the legs to rotate -or- translate.

Unless of course, it's just for looks in which case I like the new one more.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Me likes new one.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Axem

I believe firing points will move if they rotate or otherwise move if the hierarchy is set up right. But for now its all just for looks. There's a part of me that says ships should look like they could actually work. All my comments about the moving legs is all non canon fluff anyway. :P

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The translation mechanism is much better than the hinges.

As for the purposes of such a strangely shaped apparati (besides the "rule of cool"), here's the simplest: They're simply housings for sensory eqipment. Given the sensory systems above the "legs," that inward-canted angle might just be a means of increasing sensor coverage across the lower bounds of the ship. Also keep in mind something like an Aten- or Mentu-Class... or any cruiser at all... would probably never enter the atmosphere. Seeing as the AWACS is fairly close in size to a small cruiser, it would have no reason to land.

If you do decide to revert to a fixed structure (which wouldn't bother me, at least), you might consider putting some AEGIS cruiser-esque radar panels on those "legs." Here's a picture (the panels in question are the big hexagons on the bridge superstructure... in case you didn't know): http://www.tsc.com/images/contentimgs/sanjac02.jpg
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
How about having a hinge AND slider?
"It's not just landing gear, our ship can WALK!"

But yes, rule of cool.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Unless of course....

...The GTVA fears a broadside attack from the Volition Bravos, in which case the sloped lower portions of the ship help deflect kinetic weapons... Or make the Charybdis' armor in that section harder to penetrate from that angle because sloped armor is "thicker" depending on the angle at which it is fired upon...

Of course, that's a whole 'lotta effort for two what we assume-to-be-useless "legs" on a ship. Heat sinks?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
don't care what it's for, it looks cool
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Axem

In the end, that's all that matters.  ;)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I preferred the hinges. They were unique.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...