Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597414 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Preproduction is still production time. Is that too hard to understand for you? Work was done (presumably) to define the scope of the project, models were made, code was written, concepts were .... conceptualized. Development did not start from zero.

No, a kickstarter video was made. With models of unusable quality and standards, and just a few concepts. Really, pre-production itself did not really start until 2013, too.

I don't know if you're merely lying to our faces or you really believe this bull****. I'll assume the latter.

Let's get some **** straight here. Production times *always* includes preproduction, and that's what people are referring to. Conceptualization, design, themes, writing all of  that **** *is* production and it takes time. Guess what, they did that work before their presentation in 2012. Roberts stated they were working on this for a year now. If you are saying that this "doesn't count", you're basically calling Roberts a lazy ass who wasted a year of his life. This is simply bull****.

Then there's the matter of the delivery date. You handwave it away as an impossible deadline anyway. Well, I didn't propose it, now did I? Who proposed it? The same moron who proposed to build this giant space MMO with a hundred different systems, stories, Squadron 42, and a million other ****s.

This moron, who has a 30 year experience on building games proposed to do something that you now call "simply wrong". Well, extend that rationale to all of the rest. It's impossible to do the kind of game he wants, and especially so with his (1) lack of focus, (2) incompetent management, (3) feature bloat, (4) impossible to meet expectations.

Offline Kszyhu

So CIG have started development in 2013 for a game they wanted to release in 2014? I knew they were kinda crap, but not that they were that much out of touch with reality.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So what you are saying is that nothing from that demo survived. No visual designs, no general gameplay and story concepts, no concept art, no design documents of any kind pertaining to planned features, no plans for the eventual production scehdule, nothing. It must be a remarkable coincidence, then, that the Bengal, Hornet and Scythe look so damn similar to what is (or isn't, in case of the bengal) now in the game. Everyone involved, including Christ Roberts, had brain surgery to make sure that they wouldn't remember anything of what was done back then.

Preproduction is production. No matter if it was only one man working in his garage, or a dozen people cranking out a quick demo.

For ****'s sake, maslo, the Kickstarter page itself says "What you've seen was put together by a very small team over the past year. We felt that this vision needed to be shown rather than talked about so we invested our own money to build the technical and visual prototype that shows just how Star Citizen is going to push the limits of PC games."

In other words, because you seem to have a mental block keeping you from understanding this, people were working on Star Citizen for a year before the kickstarter. It doesn't matter that that work was later redone. It was still work done for the project.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:47:10 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
I have just timed how long it takes to load the game from HDD for me, cold start (computer turned off before). The result is 1 minute 54 seconds. Honestly, if you are complaining about 2 minute loading time on an early access game, then you are just nitpicking. It is fine.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline 666maslo666

So CIG have started development in 2013 for a game they wanted to release in 2014? I knew they were kinda crap, but not that they were that much out of touch with reality.

beginning of 2013 - end of 2014

Thats two years development time.

It is not unusual to have games developed in such time frame.

Of course, that was before all the stretchgoals got piled on and it was still an optimistic estimate.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Kszyhu

I have just timed how long it takes to load the game from HDD for me, cold start (computer turned off before). The result is 1 minute 54 seconds. Honestly, if you are complaining about 2 minute loading time on an early access game, then you are just nitpicking. It is fine.

Which part of the game?

Offline Luis Dias

I see. Well, I'm gonna talk to that white wall with a painting right there at the back of the room. I think it will be more fruitful.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think I'll join you at the wall.

Offline 666maslo666

Which part of the game?

Persistent Universe.

Offline Kszyhu

Measured my loading times, from the main menu to the Persistent Universe. 6 minutes and 20 seconds. Two claims for ridiculously long loading times, to your one claim of merely long loading times. Another reason not to believe anything you say.
Guys, is there any room next to that wall?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
This thread just keeps on giving.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

No, but I am going to build a bigger wall and make the Star Citizens pay for it!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
My favorite thing about this thread is how maslo's grasp of time is steadily deteriorating.  Two days ago it was "3.5 years" and now it's "2 years" when it's actually closer to 5.  It's like Chris Roberts is a black hole and maslo is stuck in the time dilation

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
maslo is following all of the citizen talking points.  :lol:

Guys, clearly you all just don't understand gamedesign.
- 5 to 10 minute loading times are acceptable
- Development started in 2015, they still have 5 more years before we have to start being worried
- IT'S A PRE-ALPHA
- Headbobbing is good immersion

The list goes on.

My favorite thing about this thread is how maslo's grasp of time is steadily deteriorating.  Two days ago it was "3.5 years" and now it's "2 years" when it's actually closer to 5.  It's like Chris Roberts is a black hole and maslo is stuck in the time dilation
I'm fairly sure Ben has just gathered so much mass, that time dilation is happening around him. In cloud imperium's office, actually only 1 year has passed since the kickstarter.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

No, but I am going to build a bigger wall and make the Star Citizens pay for it!

Why build the wall when you can sell them a jpeg of one?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
maslo are you toast?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If he is, would that make him a man of many aliases

Offline Kszyhu

Oh noes, the Salty Asshats are everywhere.

Offline 666maslo666

Those are different things, tho. 2 years is the original optimistic estimate by CR for a basic SC game (no stretchgoals). In hindsight, it was inaccurate. 3.5 years is current development time. 5 years is my estimate of how long it will take (probaby still too low..).

Measured my loading times, from the main menu to the Persistent Universe. 6 minutes and 20 seconds. Two claims for ridiculously long loading times, to your one claim of merely long loading times. Another reason not to believe anything you say.

6 minutes? Maybe you shouldnt be running such a demanding game on a toaster, then.. pls defragment or something

The Wall just got ten feet higher. Plenty of place next to it.  :banghead:

maslo are you toast?

Speaking of toasters, I am not.

Offline Kszyhu

So, the game is in development for 4.5 years and loading times are more than five minutes long, I'm glad we agree on something.