Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597843 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Late 2017 will be so much fun. The rage. The fireworks. The aneurisms.

Death threats won't be as fun, but hey that's the price of joy sometimes.

My money is on the death-knell being the release of Squadron 42. At that point the expectations get cashed in and they're actually selling a finished product which has to function properly; unfortunately there is no way that they can actually provide that, as it would require them to be essentially making a second game in secret that fixes all the enormous ****ups of the PU.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

That will never happen. And I'm not even being paranoid here, Roberts stated it himself right at the beggining. This will never be a "one off" release, it will be an ongoing schedule of releases, with the product never be really finished here. Which is the perfect excuse for not ever delivering a great product "Yeah yeah we know but listen we're still working on it, gamedevelopment is so hard".

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
maslo is following all of the citizen talking points.  :lol:

Guys, clearly you all just don't understand gamedesign.
- 5 to 10 minute loading times are acceptable
- Development started in 2015, they still have 5 more years before we have to start being worried
- IT'S A PRE-ALPHA
- Headbobbing is good immersion

The list goes on.

My favorite thing about this thread is how maslo's grasp of time is steadily deteriorating.  Two days ago it was "3.5 years" and now it's "2 years" when it's actually closer to 5.  It's like Chris Roberts is a black hole and maslo is stuck in the time dilation
I'm fairly sure Ben has just gathered so much mass, that time dilation is happening around him. In cloud imperium's office, actually only 1 year has passed since the kickstarter.

I don't follow Star Citizen, like, at ALL, but every once in a while pop in this thread for entertainment.  And this post drives me to comment. 

How the hell does ANYONE think motion-sickness inducing (and I'm not even prone to that) headbob is EVER a good idea?  It's literally the FIRST thing to get modded out of games that contain it.  Go walk around your neighborhood.  Did your vision bounce up and down? 

Ahem.  I'm calm now.  Also, Crysis and Far Cry took an awful long time to load between levels back in the day...
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Those are different things, tho. 2 years is the original optimistic estimate by CR for a basic SC game (no stretchgoals). In hindsight, it was inaccurate. 3.5 years is current development time. 5 years is my estimate of how long it will take (probaby still too low..).

If I had given someone money for something with a due date of 2 years, and then because other people gave the same person money for something else that wasn't even originally discussed as an option that date was extended by at least three more years, I'd be pretty righteously pissed about it. Stretch goals should never be allowed to delay the original goals, and if they do, refunds should be honored for those that pledged before those stretch goals were a thing.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Gamedevelopement is ~magic. It doesn't matter how every other dev or industry does it, CIG are doing it RIGHT. Nobody's ever tried to make a game "this complex" before. After 5 years they've already got bare-bones mechanics, 1 star system, and a handful of flyable ships. Doesn't a scope as huge as that justify all the bugs? I mean, the fact that someone promised they'll have 100 star systems eventually automatically makes the code more prone to bugs, you just can't help it: :blah:

[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Luis Dias

if trends continue, they'll have 2 star systems by next year so idk what are y'all so skeptical about

That will never happen. And I'm not even being paranoid here, Roberts stated it himself right at the beggining. This will never be a "one off" release, it will be an ongoing schedule of releases, with the product never be really finished here. Which is the perfect excuse for not ever delivering a great product "Yeah yeah we know but listen we're still working on it, gamedevelopment is so hard".

I expect this will be true for the open-world MMO stuff, but Squadron 42 probably has to produce a discrete release at some point.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

"Squadron what? Oh that was just a tech demo we once made... you know gamedevelopment" said Chris Roberts in march 2017.

Offline Mikes

"Squadron what? Oh that was just a tech demo we once made... you know gamedevelopment" said Chris Roberts in march 2017.

Squadron 42 Vengeance of the Kilratherrr the Vanduul!, coming soon to a cinema near you!!!!

Wait what? You wanted a game? Who said anything about a game!? I'm in the movie business now! And we even got the Muppet folks who made the Kilrathi from the Wing Commander movie to make the Vanduul, isn't it awesome!?!? :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

What in the honest **** ?

Offline Luis Dias

I don't get the problem tbh. So Squadron 42 is doing a bit on the Cast Me reality TV show. I don't really see the problem. It's quite clever actually. You get to audition people from a wider pool and probably don't even pay them at the end.

Fill me in, what's wrong here.

It's really powerful ammunition in the argument that Chris Roberts treats the entire project as a vehicle for him to be a film director again, and mostly just promised the incredible scope of the PU to get money for that.

It's really powerful ammunition in the argument that Chris Roberts treats the entire project as a vehicle for him to be a film director again, and mostly just promised the incredible scope of the PU to get money for that.

I honestly did not know this argument. It makes the whole "It's a scam!" line of thought make a lot more sense, even if I don't agree with it.

Offline Luis Dias

I.... guess it's some confirming evidence of sorts to that theory... but it's quite the scant one. I think it proves much more that this couple has a lot of connections in hollywood and are able to get this sort of marketing.

I honestly did not know this argument. It makes the whole "It's a scam!" line of thought make a lot more sense, even if I don't agree with it.

I still wouldn't call it a scam, just complete selfish incompetence and self-delusion.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Chris Roberts is the David Cage of the 90s:

I can imagine the same video with Chris Roberts instead of Cage and Gary Oldman or Mark Hamill instead of Ellen Page.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah, these people's answers to art is "Art is getting better because of Moore's Law", and that kind of sentence is not even wrong.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Yeah, these people's answers to art is "Art is getting better because of Moore's Law", and that kind of sentence is not even wrong.

It's also a symptom of a complex of inferiority towards cinema and TV, the high fidelity push with FMV in the 90s and with polygons in the last ten years can be seen as a way to close the gap by people with that inferiority complex or even a push from marketing departments that don't quite understand how videogames work. I wouldn't be surprised if the cinematic fixations of the last 15 years in the triple A environment might be a product of marketing departments who feel comfortable in selling only movie-like experiences and developers who don't consider the new medium a full form of art of its own but rather than something you do when you can't get to hollywood.

And Chris Roberts probably produced the first AAA game with Wing Commander, now it's come full circle, once he had (relatively) limited budgets and publishers keeping him in check, now he is the master of himself and nobody is able to keep him concentrated in making the damn game and he won't be able to stop until people keep buying his JPEGs.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor