Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597441 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Meanwhile, the immersion ladders are getting a rework
https://fat.gfycat.com/MetallicSelfishFrillneckedlizard.mp4
Because I understand gamedevelopment, I can tell you that this is important. The fact that the rest of the game is a loving mess isn't that important, still pre-alpha after all. Gotta get them ladder animations right though.

I think we should be able to choose which way we go up the ladder. If, for instance, I am just going into my fighter for a leisurely stroll, the first animation would be more immersive. But if I am under attack by Vanduul attack reaper cloak fighters on the edges of civilized UEE space and are attacking a colony of 1,000 players, then the second one would be a lot more immersive. Here's hoping they could that feature as well as more ones that would enhance my immersion. :) :) :)

Hidden Text: Show
I've been reading too many CIG forum and reddit posts...
Well in that case, I'd suggest doing away with the ladder entirely and putting in a ramp.

Now the player can charge up or walk up the ramp if they want. But the real beauty is how much more immersive walking is. That way, your character can walk nervously to the ship as a rookie. Then much later, you go swaggering up that ramp like the big shot that you are. ;)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Meanwhile, the immersion ladders are getting a rework
https://fat.gfycat.com/MetallicSelfishFrillneckedlizard.mp4
Because I understand gamedevelopment, I can tell you that this is important. The fact that the rest of the game is a loving mess isn't that important, still pre-alpha after all. Gotta get them ladder animations right though.

I think we should be able to choose which way we go up the ladder. If, for instance, I am just going into my fighter for a leisurely stroll, the first animation would be more immersive. But if I am under attack by Vanduul attack reaper cloak fighters on the edges of civilized UEE space and are attacking a colony of 1,000 players, then the second one would be a lot more immersive. Here's hoping they could that feature as well as more ones that would enhance my immersion. :) :) :)

Hidden Text: Show
I've been reading too many CIG forum and reddit posts...
Well in that case, I'd suggest doing away with the ladder entirely and putting in a ramp.

Now the player can charge up or walk up the ramp if they want. But the real beauty is how much more immersive walking is. That way, your character can walk nervously to the ship as a rookie. Then much later, you go swaggering up that ramp like the big shot that you are. ;)

Also once your character has been maimed in combat, you'll be able to be wheeled up the ramp without problems!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Are you guys hyped yet?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
New Star Citizen pictures finally showing procedural planets, looks amazing:

https://imgur.com/a/whwyC

My hype levels are on the rise again!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Star Citizen tries to sell jpgs, news at eleven
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

It's sad that I wouldn't put it past them to start selling planets down the road...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
SQ42 is starting to looking pretty dope
Urutorahappī!!

i like how they've made liam cunningham's character look exactly like davos, i wonder how he'll be written
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

i'll lol so ****ing hard if he keeps the geordie accent
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That's looks... interesting... on hlp...
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
While the screenshots look really exciting, it's again more visuals and less gameplay. This has been the running theme with CRoberts' development schedule: he prioritizes great screenshots and videos over actual gameplay, so whatever they put out looks great, but still no mention of something as basic as cargo is worrying.

That being said, maybe they have enough money to last them another couple years. Who knows at this point?

Offline Lorric

That... actually does give me a really strong Wing Commander vibe. Quite astonishing.

Offline Luis Dias

New Star Citizen pictures finally showing procedural planets, looks amazing:

https://imgur.com/a/whwyC

My hype levels are on the rise again!

It's like a caricature at this point.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Not gonna lie I am actually hype for COD:IW and it literally looks like someone at EA decided to shove a giant metaphorical dick right in CR's face with it.

EDIT: Serious question why the **** does this even exist?  What possible point is there to rendering the inside of the bolt on a weapon that no on is ever, literally ever, going to be able to see working at any thing approaching the speed required to actually see it working.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

This feels so much like what the flight deck of the Victory would have been like in WC3 if they could have done it at the time.

I think Scotty's right. They're actually doing this on purpose. EA Games: Troll Harder.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

While I most likely won't buy it(because 50€ for a short campaign and shoddy multiplayer I'm not interested isn't something I can afford) it does look interesting. I'm glad they're doing a campaign that has actual pacing and some quiet time between missions rather than just a series of shootouts that almost immediately take you to the next shootout after a loading screen or a brief "interactive" cutscene.
Talking about COD:IW(aka SQ42 that will actually exist) here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:48:55 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Star Citizen No. 250

EDIT: Serious question why the **** does this even exist?  What possible point is there to rendering the inside of the bolt on a weapon that no on is ever, literally ever, going to be able to see working at any thing approaching the speed required to actually see it working.

Excessive reload/unjam animations?

Offline Luis Dias

No amount of animations are excessive in the Ultimate Space Simulator 9000.