Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597464 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
It takes 5 years of actual production to deliver a game as big as SC.
Please allow me to quote you on that.

What excuse are you going to find when they go beyond your 5y mark by several years? It's pretty obvious from the current state of the game and the current development rate that they're not close to release anything that could be remotely described as complete next year, or the year after - assuming they ever do release something they would consider a complete product, which would be counterproductive to the jpeg-selling business.

EDIT: don't ask me why I went back 5 pages all of a sudden, I have no idea why I ended up at page 61 instead of last page. Doesn't make the point less relevant though
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:05:32 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I do like the Star Citizen apologist model of game design where apparently every system in the game is incomplete and broken halfway through development and it all gets magically fixed right before release.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
MatthTheGeek, why did you go back 5 pages all of the sudden?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I do like the Star Citizen apologist model of game design where apparently every system in the game is incomplete and broken halfway through development and it all gets magically fixed right before release.

To be fair this is quite common industry practice (but the fixing only happens when producers say "stop adding **** bugfix only"

Offline Luis Dias

What about the very game of having constantly to defend your Star Citizen from the zombie crowds of laughter and unfair criticism from the whole of the internet? Deploy tactics of deflection! Press Alt-K to get the "Have you ever developed a game before?" ultimate attack, Alt-J to engage the "You're just an Escapist troll" subspace run maneuver, and many other incredible weapon variety! The grinding is truly unparalleled and it will give you a sense of despair and frustration like never a game has before! But, if you have sufficient faith, you will win at the end! The end prize is still a bit unclear but... hey! It's all about the journey right?

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Please allow me to quote you on that.

What excuse are you going to find when they go beyond your 5y mark by several years?

I wont come up with any excuse then.

Honestly, I think the most realistic good scenario here is that SC comes out in late 2017, fails to deliver on lots of its promises, but is still a very good space sim with the most important game mechanics present and CIG will go on to iterate on it for many years to come, slowly delivering the rest of their features.

The bad scenario is that SC comes out at the end of 2017, is a below average game, CIG goes bankrupt and multiple backers commit suicide.

Both of these are possible, IMHO. But we as outsiders do not have enough information to judge what will happen. At this time, most of SC criticism is Derek Smart tier gossip and trolling.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

I hope SC is never released. (Yeah, I'm not a nice guy.) Blind faith and irresponsible game development, especially CIG's disgusting money-milking, should be discouraged.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't think that one's a particularly likely scenario. It might be a mess on release, but since part of it has already came out, I think the rest of it will eventually follow. Whether it'll be playable in anything but singleplayer (and even that with a computer from the future) is another matter...

Of course, not that I care about that. I'm perfectly fine with a Wing Commander-style "interactive movie" campaign, as long as it's good. As far as I'm concerned, he could dump the whole MMO aspect, but with that kind of money, he doesn't exactly have any incentive not to waste some of it on that.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Paywall down at last, I have some catching up to do. Meanwhile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVn0c79H5oE#t=144s

Urutorahappī!!

Paywall down at last, I have some catching up to do.

Jesus christ, I'd assumed it would just be another thousand pages of cat ****posts. Instead, I find out that Chris Roberts married the model from his tickle fetish videos.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
<horrors>

I have no mouth.

Stumbled across this the other day, made for some interesting reading - https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Reviews-E776546.htm

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Jesus christ, I'd assumed it would just be another thousand pages of cat ****posts. Instead, I find out that Chris Roberts married the model from his tickle fetish videos.
I absolutely ****ing lost my **** when I saw these:
http://i.imgur.com/EzsgxBc.gif
http://i.imgur.com/oXyWSfr.gif
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So apparently they started decluttering their ship huds ... by moving readouts into cockpit surfaces and screens. Which, you know, sounds good at first, until you realize that their cockpits weren't designed with that in mind.

Also note how low-contrast all those holographic elements are.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I have no mouth.

Stumbled across this the other day, made for some interesting reading - https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Reviews-E776546.htm
"Other instances have been a little bizarre. At one meeting I was asked to carry Chris Roberts on my back. I happily obliged but generally resent being treated similar to a pack mule."
 :wtf:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Weird. I didn't find that review, though. Most stuff I saw on that site mentions the project's nearly endless scope (for better or for worse), high (sometimes unrealistic) expectations and inexperienced management. Pretty much what I expected.
So apparently they started decluttering their ship huds ... by moving readouts into cockpit surfaces and screens. Which, you know, sounds good at first, until you realize that their cockpits weren't designed with that in mind.
That doesn't look terrible, but it'd be better if the cockpit were designed for that from the start. Diaspora and X-2 did that sort of thing much better.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Their Gamescom livestream starts today at 19:00 GMT - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/gamescom

Honestly not sure what they're going to be talking about - the latest Alpha is still a buggy, unplayable mess and doesn't seem to have changed all that much from december last year.

Offline Kszyhu

Planetary landings prerecorded footage, I guess.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-30s-planetary-landing-blows-no-mans-sky-away/

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/84518331

SC Alpha 3.0 gameplay featuring Stanton system, procedural planets and basic professions shown at Gamescom.

Star Citizen detractors proved wrong yet again! How can they ever recover??
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

you remind me of one of the crazier admins of conservapedia

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
"Blows No Man's Sky away"... from what I've seen and heard of NMS, that's not that high of a bar to clear. :) We'll see how it looks once it's actually out, of course. It's easy to cherry-pick the best looking parts and run the game on an absolute monster of a machine that can simply power through any performance issues. Actual user experience may vary...