Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 7  (Read 96681 times)

Offline Dysko

Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 7
Maybe I've something wrong in my "mediavps" folder. I have these files:
mp-710_effects.vp
mp-710_models.vp
mv_alphapatch.vp
mv_amodelspatch.vp
mv_amodelspatch2.vp
mv_core.vp
mv_effects.vp
mv_models.vp
mv_music.vp
mv_textures.vp
Do I miss some files, or there is something that shouldn't be there?
Also, I use these flags: -glow -jpgtga -nomotiondebris -dualscanlines -targetinfo -alpha_env
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
you don't want:

mv_alphapatch.vp
mv_amodelspatch.vp
mv_amodelspatch2.vp
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I think I don't have those 710...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Dysko

you don't want:

mv_alphapatch.vp
mv_amodelspatch.vp
mv_amodelspatch2.vp
Still having the problem even without these vps...  :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
you don't want:

mv_alphapatch.vp
mv_amodelspatch.vp
mv_amodelspatch2.vp
Still having the problem even without these vps...  :(
You are using an old set of MediaVPs.  Replace them with the ones from here and things should work better.

Offline Dysko

Uhm... Now it works... I had already downloaded the new VPs some time ago, but it seems I forgot installing them :nervous:... Thanks, Taylor

So is the following issue with my smoke from impact damage something on my end or is 3.6.9rc7 not yet fully compatable with The Babylon Project?

Here is a picture of what I mean, Look at the smoke comming out of where I shot the cruiser at.
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2066/screen0008kj8.jpg

It comes out as thick black blocks.
I have the mediavps 3.6.8 mv_effects,mv_adveffects as well as the 710 patches for both installed correctly and indeed, This seems to be the only glitch for me. just the smoke damage on ships that have been hit.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
So is the following issue with my smoke from impact damage something on my end or is 3.6.9rc7 not yet fully compatable with The Babylon Project?

More like TBP is not yet fully compatible with the SCP.  We have been trying to get mods to fix their graphics files that do this, but we haven't reached everybody yet.

More like TBP is not yet fully compatible with the SCP.  We have been trying to get mods to fix their graphics files that do this, but we haven't reached everybody yet.

Ahh so this problem is on their end.
Oh well, They have a new version comming soon so maybe that patch will fix it up.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I know that possibly further builds won't be compatible with Inferno....
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I know that possibly further builds won't be compatible with Inferno...

That is completely incorrect.  Who told you that?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I know that possibly further builds won't be compatible with Inferno....

the SCP is NOT going to alienate one of the largest Freespace mods out there. Period.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I heard it somewhere in Inferno.... :nervous:
Maybe it was refering to mediavps or something else,I don't remember,but I read that it would make the mod crash.
As for the reasons...I heard that this change is needed to increase SCP performances...  ::)

Woo told me that you'll need time to make it so Inf is safe for now.  :nod:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Hmmmm

I wanted to see if the hyperspace effects still worked fine. They also glitch a bit.
Everything has become a tad bit boxified as well.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9427/screen0009eb4.jpg

It looks worse ingame than it does in that screenshot.

Another thing.
I decided to switch to direct3d mode and somehow for whatever reasons there were zero glitches.... It worked fine besides the fact d3d is slower and a bit uglier looking lighting wise.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well I've been trying to set up a standalone server.   Downloaded this build and it crashes ever time when trying to launch a standalone.  Here's what I am getting. 

Assert: bm_bitmaps[bitmapnum].handle == handle
File: c:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.t\code\bmpman\bmpman.cpp
Line: 1924
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    multi_update_validate_missions_DrawString()    multi_update_valid_missions()    standalone_main_init()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()
------------------------------------------------------------------

I will put it in the Mantis tracker as soon as I receive my registration mail.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Hi
Assert: bm_bitmaps[bitmapnum].handle == handle
File: c:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.t\code\bmpman\bmpman.cpp
Line: 1924
Hi FUBAR, I got that same error on the same line with the 3.6.9 RC7.  Once you get on mantis (see my tip) and login, you can check out the bug report that I made here.

While that error has been reported, the developers still need continuing testing and feedback on the fixes that they’ve developed.  Would you be willing to test out the latest CVS release with me, in order to look around for any kinks?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Waiting on the next release as I type.  I went back to 1.3.6 for the standalone for now.  It doesn't last long but at least it starts.  :D  As soon as I get the new release I will put it up and start reporting any bugs.  I've got 2 DSL lines so I should be able to have 2 servers up most of the time.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Waiting on the next release as I type.  I went back to 1.3.6 for the standalone for now.  It doesn't last long but at least it starts.  :D  As soon as I get the new release I will put it up and start reporting any bugs.  I've got 2 DSL lines so I should be able to have 2 servers up most of the time.
Rock on :)  I see your 2 games on fs2netd.

Just fyi, if you would like to try the latest CVS build, you can get it here:
http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/rc7dot7.rar

Note: This CVS release includes a protective enhancement that makes it so that rc7dot7 clients only see multiplayer games hosted by rc7dot7 servers.  This is a good thing, because the net code "protocol" has changed from older builds.

Just thought I'd mention it before you discover that some fs2netd games are listed on the fs2netd web site but not in your in-game lobby with this build.  This helps prevent crashes!  But there are also a lot of other fixes in this release - essssspecially for the standalone server.  We just have to test it and make sure it's battle-hardened.  :arrr:

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
This one is just info for Taylor:

Sorry but I have just been able to test the Gamma_Test version you've posted in the Mantis 973 bug I opened.

As you've said in Mantis, it is fixed. But I've noticed Brightness/Gamma has changed from RC7. Gamma_Test version is clearer. I don't know if it is a desired change or if it is some kind of cross effect or little bug.

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Rock on :)  I see your 2 games on fs2netd.

Just fyi, if you would like to try the latest CVS build, you can get it here:
http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/rc7dot7.rar

Note: This CVS release includes a protective enhancement that makes it so that rc7dot7 clients only see multiplayer games hosted by rc7dot7 servers.  This is a good thing, because the net code "protocol" has changed from older builds.

Just thought I'd mention it before you discover that some fs2netd games are listed on the fs2netd web site but not in your in-game lobby with this build.  This helps prevent crashes!  But there are also a lot of other fixes in this release - essssspecially for the standalone server.  We just have to test it and make sure it's battle-hardened.  :arrr:

Is standalone supposed to work in this build?  If so it doesn't.  I didn't confirm it but it appears to be the same error as before.