Author Topic: 2007-10-28 stable branch (Xt version)  (Read 68574 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: 2007-10-28 stable branch (Xt version)
Alright, so I tried installing the latest Omega drivers (7.10-based), and they're doing the same thing.  Debug spew is identical.

So, that's both of the latest available drivers for ATI's video cards.  Anyone else find a driver set that actually works, or are we doomed to no GLSL support?

Instead of trying out all the latest bleeding edge drivers (which are apparently not working, eh?) try regressing your drivers. Start stepping backwards.

I still have an Original Radeon 64mb DDR. If I actually want any stability or performance from it, I have to limit it to Catalyst 2.3 drivers. My 9600XT (which is working fine, btw) is using the 4.12's.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Im getting a strange graphical problem that I first noticed when you tried fixing graphical issues with nvidia cards.    All ships are now invisable except for the glow maps.  evreything worked fine in the stable release of 3.6.9 except for the occational hang up where the only option is to press and hold the power button. but now in these later versions im getting this graphical bug.

Im using
MacBook Pro 15 inch
Os version: 10.4.10
GeForce 8600M GT 256mb
Intel core duo 2.4 ghz
2gb memory

they reappear when i turn off glsl in the troubleshooting options but all clear cockpits are now white.  And,naturally, shading is the pits.
and it all ships appear when i turn off htl though performence is really bad and crashes

Edit:  I think i got it,  evreything starts going on when i turn on the -glow and -spec flags.  Shading still seems a bit weird like its shading sections and not gradiating over the whole model
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 01:56:51 pm by Darklord42 »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I'm getting the same problem.  It disappears on other LODs for some ships, and some debris textures.  Shading is weird like Darklord said.  I am using the same computer, except is is running Leopard.  Because of this problem, I went back to using 3.6.9 final, even though that introduces some other problems.

Well at least I know I'm not the only one.  But shame.  these normal maps seem pretty cool.  I can't wait till you guys (mostly Taylor for this)  find out whats wrong.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The OS X problems are known, but I don't have a clue why it's not working.  So far the info I have doesn't make any sense.  :sigh:

Anyway, I've scrapped all of what I had and I'm currently rewriting everything from scratch, both code and shaders.  Hopefully the new setup will work better, and be a bit easier to debug. :)

Cool, that sounds like a plan.  Good luck!  Does that mean you have to do similar to the windows and linux versions?  If i wasn't so lazy, or at least so busy, I'd try to figure out how to get Linux installed on this thing ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:53:43 pm by Darklord42 »

I'm getting a minor graphical oddity when I bring up the screen to quit an active mission, or the screen to exit the main hall.  The cursor essentially starts acting like I have mouse trails enabled on a laptop, only it's just drawing static copies of itself wherever you move it to.
I was using the 7.10 Catalyst drivers for my Radeon x1950 Pro when this particular graphic glitch was showing up.  I recently switched over to the Omega version of the 7.10s for unrelated reasons, and I'm no longer getting that drawing error.  It must be something in the code that the official Ati drivers aren't processing correctly.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline Kaine

I'm getting a minor graphical oddity when I bring up the screen to quit an active mission, or the screen to exit the main hall.  The cursor essentially starts acting like I have mouse trails enabled on a laptop, only it's just drawing static copies of itself wherever you move it to.
I was using the 7.10 Catalyst drivers for my Radeon x1950 Pro when this particular graphic glitch was showing up.  I recently switched over to the Omega version of the 7.10s for unrelated reasons, and I'm no longer getting that drawing error.  It must be something in the code that the official Ati drivers aren't processing correctly.

wouldn't be a first for ATI. Not by a long shot. Wish Omega still did NVidia drivers :(

wouldn't be a first for ATI. Not by a long shot. Wish Omega still did NVidia drivers :(
Keep in mind that the issue cropped up when I switched to the 10/28 build over the 10/22 one, not when I installed the 7.10 Catalysts.  Whether the coding change should work fine and is getting glitched by something in the drivers, or whether it's a bug in the code that the Omega drivers somehow work around, well that's not entirely cut and dry (especially for me, since I know nothing at all about coding).  I am quite happy the Omega drivers exist though. :)
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
taylor, GLSL doesn't seem to be working on the 169.04 drivers. I can't downgrade, or I'll risk my video card freaking out like it did when I first installed it. (Almost none of my games would run, and those that did ran as well as my 7300.)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
taylor, GLSL doesn't seem to be working on the 169.04 drivers. I can't downgrade, or I'll risk my video card freaking out like it did when I first installed it. (Almost none of my games would run, and those that did ran as well as my 7300.)
It's a Known issue. 169.xx are defective in OGL.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What do you suggest, then?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
You can't do anything...  :(
Wait till next ForceWare release and meanwhile play a weird looking FS2 or just reinstall 163.75 or any other former driver. But it's pointless fixing a game to work with defective drivers.
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's not weird looking, it's just missing the purty shaders.

Offline dmart04

For those having problems with ATI graphics cards and GLSL, I may have a fairly simple solution. This is a solution for those whose game consistently crashes on startup with the error message saying there was a problem with module atioglxx.dll

The only part of the drivers that seem to be having problems is atioglxx.dll, so all that is needed is an older version of that file. Searching around I found one that works for me here:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1222

Download this dll and put it in your Freespace 2 folder. The game will then use this dll instead of using the newer version from the drivers, and hopefully the game should now be able to run with GLSL and normal mapping enabled.

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone but it worked for me.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Is it possible to do a sort of hack like this for the nVidia drivers?

Offline CKid

Now, I downloaded this build when it first came out and it is still working fine but I just realized something is wrong with it. When I use this build, I can't get it to play cutscenes. I switched back to the 3.6.9 build and the cutscenes played. Has anyboby else getting this problem or I am the only one?
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Now, I downloaded this build when it first came out and it is still working fine but I just realized something is wrong with it. When I use this build, I can't get it to play cutscenes. I switched back to the 3.6.9 build and the cutscenes played. Has anyboby else getting this problem or I am the only one?
I'm not sure but maybe avi support has been dropped. FS2Open used system player for this kind of files but this was going to be removed.

Future builds will only use its internal player which only support original mve files and compressed Theora ogg. Avi can't be supported due Copyright and License issues.

Check which kind of movie files you have and grab the ogg version from the Upgrade area in forums. ( :( Sorry I can't remember an exact link, ask in that area where can you get them)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm not sure but maybe avi support has been dropped. FS2Open used system player for this kind of files but this was going to be removed.

Future builds will only use its internal player which only support original mve files and compressed Theora ogg. Avi can't be supported due Copyright and License issues.

Check which kind of movie files you have and grab the ogg version from the Upgrade area in forums. ( :( Sorry I can't remember an exact link, ask in that area where can you get them)

Eh?  I thought they dropped MVE support, not AVI.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
MVE and AVI.