Author Topic: still working on this  (Read 6655 times)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
still working on this

includes:

• Fake HDR like shading.  Works on GeForce 6 Series and up. I don't know about ATI, X300+ maybe.  Works by only clamping the (0,255) color range until the very end, instead of every step.  Screenshots are still kinda shaky, sometimes they don't appear like on the screen, I guess we need a floating point texture format.
  • -glow_factor command-line.  Makes your glowmaps brighter.  If you set it too high it doesn't seem to work.  I think it may be a limitation of OpenGL.  Example usage "-glow_factor 2.0"
  • Salvo fire code.
  • Does not include speech
  • Zip includes debug, regular release, SSE (Pentium 3+), and SSE2 (Pentium 4+) executables for FS2 and FRED2 (release only)

http://www.cs.kent.edu/~niannett/fso/phreak_test.rar (~10MB)

edit: link fixed, i'm a dumbass
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:51:34 pm by phreak »
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: still working on this
I'm assuming that since it's a factor, a glow_factor of 1.0 is the default?  Awesome by the way.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I may be a complete amateur butting into the business of veterans, but I always thought that "flexible" (easy to render in various situations) post processing effects would need High Dynamic Range...

...which is probably what phreak refers to as a "floating point" format.

All I know is, that instead an 8-bit range, you actually use more bits for luminosity say 12-bits (actually typical for digital cameras), and then you "map" or "develop" this "film" to your 8-bit display by clipping it to 8-bits.

So if the upper range of the 12-bits has more data (many bright objects) you clip the low end of the range, if the lower range has more data you clip the upper range. This actually simulates how our eyes work because the end result will be in a bright render you won't see the darker parts as well as in a darker scene and vice versa.

This is important for post-processing because your shaders can use uniform functions in all scenes without the need to overtly "fine-tune" them to prevent jarring graphical effects from either bright or dark "burn in".
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Very nice looking stuff :) The Salvo firing code could be useful as well...

I'm testing this ingame right now and I have to say, the glow_factor is an enormous difference, ESPECIALLY on Shivan ships. Also, the new lighting effect reminds me of the difference when Taylor implemented that new method of lighting ships in OpenGL, and had it turned on using a command line switch. I'll make this build my build of choice for a while and see how it looks. Note that I cannot test normal maps, as I'm on a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
hokay....

D:\igre\fs2\fs2_open_3_6_9r_glo.exe -mod derelict,mediavps -spec -glow -env -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -fps  -ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -spec_exp 11 -spec_point .6 -spec_static .8  -spec_tube .4 -glow_factor 2.0

thats my current feature list... from the things i've noticed, on 1280x1024, ships further from the center get distorted visibly, either big ships further away or fighters really upclose. (i dont think this is a build problem)

as for the fake hdr thing... didnt notice too much except the shivan glowmap thing, now i can spot them standing out of the dark background as far as 6k away XD

also, one minor thing, some ships when jumping out appear to be jumping off-center to the jump point. might be related to the distortion thing tho and i have a big feeling it is.

as for mantising anything, i would if my confirmation email came through...
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I wouldn't mantis this because that is usually reserved for trunk builds.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
1600x1200 4xaa, noticed almost no positive difference other than the glowmaps.  The off-center bug was obvious, though.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken