Author Topic: Latest Nightly, now with PNG Support  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Latest Nightly, now with PNG Support
Based on the latest Nightly (5615) Flaming Sword and myself present to you builds with PNG support for Interfaces and possibly in EFFs as well.

Standard Release and Debug builds as well as Inferno Release and Debug builds to compare to the latest Nighly Builds for evaluation of any changes in performance.
I did not do the SSE build because, well, I'm lazy and if there _are_ any performance issues in the regular, we'd like to know so that we can resolve them at which point they (shouldn't) be present in the SSE builds either.

PDB files are provided for debugging purposes. Recommended to stick those in to the EXE dir as well, so that if there is an error, we can get on it.

Test the crap out of these, _EVEN IF_ you have _no_ interest in the PNG format or replacement Interfaces. _MOST ESPECIALLY_ the Inferno Build.

fso-WIN-20090928_r5615-PNG.7z
MD5: ED813E3617BBD5CB2F61F3532814830F

fso-WIN-20090928_r5615-INF-PNG.7z
MD5: 79B956C42B6D1E64A39E66A8B4D1AB8B

UPDATE: 10/03/09

These two builds are identical to the above two builds save in one respect: They do not have the EFF Code Support that was introduced in SVN Commit 5508 (which then had a fix in SVN Commit 5510). All other fixes from all other commits are in place.

Why? Because it is a known factor that the Interface EFF code does introduce same hiccups in performance currently, I wanted a set of builds that supported PNG without that, to determine if there were any Performance issues explicitly with just the PNG support being in place. This way, PNG interfaces (non-EFF) can be tested independently of the EFF code.

fso-WIN-20090928_r5615-PNG-NoEFF.7z
MD5: 589335F7D97661DD2A09CAF6C232F797

fso-WIN-20090928_r5615-INF-PNG-NoEFF.7z
MD5: AA1EDB9F06B5DE8D7D2F0018199F2910
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:54:18 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Latest Nightly, now with PNG Support
What about the video memory usage? The PNG isn't supported by GPUs. Wouldn't it be better to use uncompressed DDS in the end?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Hence why these are Test Builds to evaluate performance, not just for support of PNG, but also to make sure that just adding the possibility to support them doesn't break anything else.

And for that matter, TGA, JPG and PCX don't have GPU support either. And DDS support passing is only as good as the application that is handling it.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Doesn't uncompressed DDS have a similar issue as TGA of being a massive file size?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Doesn't uncompressed DDS have a similar issue as TGA of being a massive file size?

Actually uncompressed DDS files are usually larger than run length encoded TGA files on disk since they DDS files do not support RLE. Something like a starfield (provided it's not too full of noise) compresses quite well with RLE, and thus file sizes can be smaller than the uncompressed DDS, or even compressed DDS would be.

System memory wise, uncompressed DDS files use less computational overhead and RAM since they can be passed directly to the VRAM while TGA files need to be decoded into raw bitmaps. When it's in bitmap form however it takes the same amount of memory as DDS in the video memory.

PNG is a lot similar to TGA in the sense that it utilizes lossless compression (better than RLE), and thus it can be useful for cases where actual video ram performance is not vital, but you want to reduce distribution size by, say, saving interface files as PNG as opposed to uncompressed DDS. Of course original format for interface files, PCX, is still smaller but limited to 256 colours palette, of which you may have to use one for one-bit transparency, and that limits the stuff you can do with the interface.

DDS files are superior for in-game graphical imagery though; the inclusion of mipmaps alone makes them worth using. Memory saving for the stuff that can be compressed is another big bonus.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
But in instances where mip-mapping is not needed (Interfaces).

Some new test builds, the note up top about the edit should explain it adequately enough.

¤[D+¬>