Author Topic: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 6 (17/11/12)  (Read 45026 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 3 (25/07/12)
Well, that's, of course, one of the solutions, but it's hackish and not very comfortable (not to mention it doesn't work if there are no engine submodels, nor does the intensity vary with the amount of thrust). While we're at it, this would also be a nice feature for RCS thrusters, though it shouldn't be on by default on them (the most common RCS effect looks like a white gas poof, which doesn't look like it'd emit any light).
That's, of course, a suggestion for much later though.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 3 (25/07/12)
i would presume you could use the glowpoint properties to add an $engine subsystem: tag for linking the effect to engines. you could presumably define more complex effects in the glowpoint table as well. like light ramping or color varience. if the coders felt like doing something like that. doing a table does give you places to put new tags for new features which may be added in later on.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Re: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 4 (29/07/12)
just a head ups for people that currently toying around with the glowpoint properties. The current syntax will be deprecated in favour of the table format we discussed earlier so if you are currently working on that you might want to focus on something else till the format specification is finished.

Also thanks to The_E's help I could finally fix the ATI artifacts. IT WAS ATI'S FAULT btw. They have a bug in one of their extensions that has gone unfixed for 3 or more years.

So without more delay http://www.mediafire.com/?765smic3zbygezh BETA 4.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:45:59 am by Valathil »
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Here's what I'm running into with the 5870 running 12.4 drivers. I'm about to try this with 12.6 and see if anything different happens.

No effect to my unsurprise.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:54:23 pm by Commander Zane »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's easily fixed.

EDIT: What you (Valathil) need to do is, change gr_opengl_copy_effect_texture to this:
Code: [Select]
void gr_opengl_copy_effect_texture()
{
if ( !Scene_framebuffer_in_frame ) {
return;
}
glReadBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT);
glDrawBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT4_EXT);
vglBlitFramebuffer(0, 0, gr_screen.max_w, gr_screen.max_h, 0, 0, gr_screen.max_w, gr_screen.max_h, GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT, GL_NEAREST);
glDrawBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT);
glReadBuffer(GL_NONE);
}
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:06:26 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
I'm using an NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT, and when I'm in the middle of playing The Sixth Wonder (specially, when I'm trying to shoot down a bomb), I get this error

Assert: Scene_depth_texture != 0
File: gropengldraw.cpp
Line: 1426

<no module>! KiFastSystemCallRet
<no module>! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! RegisterWaitForInputIdle + 73 bytes

The fs2_open.log is attached.

I haven't tested beta 3, but I know that beta 2 worked just fine for me.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Valathil

Re: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 5 (30/07/12)
ok now nvidia is the screwed one cause they dont support the seperate depth stencil buffers that are required to get ati to work which is great. i need more testing of the ati thing maybe i can do seperate initializations based on the vendor string or something

EDIT: Ok i got a workaround BETA 5: http://www.mediafire.com/?nnn9mbal5c5si2p
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:11:02 am by Valathil »
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I noticed that in this build(Beta 5), targeting the nearets enemy doesn't seem to work most of the time. Other ways, like targeting the newest ship in the battle works fine. Only other problem I've noticed is that in the tech room, thruster points shine through the ship model.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So, how's the glowpoint table coming along?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Srsly? You've seen Valathil posting the Shadows beta builds? How many things to expect him to literally work on at once?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
He's obviously been working mostly on shadows, but maybe he made some progress on glowpoints too. I'm asking, because there's a few models I need to glowpoint, but I don't feel like using a syntax which is planned to be deprecated before I even start. Besides, you never know with Valathil. :)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Don't you worry, I have already made clear that I was going to adapt the whole MVPs' glowpoints once the glowpoint.tbl is complete, and I make sure to regularly remind Valathil about it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Valathil

He's obviously been working mostly on shadows, but maybe he made some progress on glowpoints too. I'm asking, because there's a few models I need to glowpoint, but I don't feel like using a syntax which is planned to be deprecated before I even start. Besides, you never know with Valathil. :)

you can glowpoint them now without problem. As said the glowpoint.tbl thing will work without modifying existing models. you just have to postpone the lights definition for later. Also im interested in you guys coming up with a format for the table since you guys will be the ones using it so write up a spec or sample of what youd like to see and ill think about it and we can discuss.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wait, completely no model changes? That could come out clunky and hard to use. I thought you'll use glowpoint types.
As for the format, I'd like something like:
$Type:
$Index: (which glowpoint type number we're talking about)
$Thruster Bitmap: (used instead or in addition to index, name of the thruster bitmap that, when used either in the "main" or tabled "maneuvering" thruster will emit this kind of light)
$Color: (self explanatory, 3 values RGB. 3 zeros disable the light. If absent, the color will be based on bitmap's histogram)
$Alpha: (bitmap transparency percentage, setting it to 100 disables the bitmap completely)
$Intensity: (light intensity, gives finer control than color)
$Light Cone: (number of degrees from the normal the light will be radiated)
$Bitmap Cone: (number of degrees from the normal the bitmap is fully visible)
$Flags: ( "No Self Lighting" "No Obscuring" "No Flicker" "Start Off" ) (the first one disables the glowpoint casting light on it's parent model, the second one causes the glowpoint to be rendered on top of the model, the third one disables flickering when the ship is damaged and the last one makes the glowpoint off by default, to be enabled in FRED)
That should be it I think.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please no... bleh..

I'll whip up something that makes much more sense later.

Wait, completely no model changes? That could come out clunky and hard to use. I thought you'll use glowpoint types.

Srsly? :wtf:

This table is to define the types... Certainly not as clunky as putting all that data in the POF itself.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Would you mind using the {code}{/code} bb tags, as well as indent items that are a sub-item of the one above it?

I don't know about Valathil, but it's much easier for me to implement new .tbl items when I see them in the same format as they would appear in the .tbl itself.  :yes:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Srsly? :wtf:

This table is to define the types... Certainly not as clunky as putting all that data in the POF itself.
The way he said it made me think that everything will be table defined, referencing the model and glowpoint bank from it. Doing it like that (on a per-ship basis) would be clunky. If table will be used for defining the types, then it'll be good.

Offline Echelon9

...Only other problem I've noticed is that in the tech room, thruster points shine through the ship model.

Slightly off topic, but this is a separate bug that has been fixed in trunk already.

Offline Valathil

i was basically thinking of doing it like you define the types First and then do a list of Ships where you can say this glowpoint(s) Bank light(s) are this Type. and Support multiples in the selection Like (1,3-4) would select 1 3 and 4 and assigns them the preset. if you want to edit models to Do a Type Tag more than my proposed solution. please tell me and include a reason why that would be a better view if backwards compatibility is taken into account
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Backwards compatibility is fine, and I think your idea would be good, but alongside being able to just assign the type in a model. It'd take a lot less work to make a minor model edit than to maintain a table segment with yet another list of all ships in the mod.