Poll

Should we get a project together to give Derelict an Alternative Voice track ?

Yes.
3 (15.8%)
No.
6 (31.6%)
Maybe some parts only, but keep some existing work.
3 (15.8%)
Just improve the technical aspects but keep the voices the same.
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: March 03, 2007, 09:44:35 pm

Author Topic: Alternate Voice Acting for Derelict  (Read 9439 times)

Offline neoterran

Alternate Voice Acting for Derelict
It's been said often by many that Derelict, although a great campaign, has some of the poorest quality and unrealistic sounding voice acting in the VA era.

I propose a poll to gauge enthusiasm for a project to re-voice act, either in whole or in part, Derelict to improve its feel.

Let the flaming commence...  :o
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Nuclear1

Re: Alternate Voice Acting for Derelict
I really thought it was just how Blaise compressed the sound.  The acting is great, but the sound quality is pretty off. 

If we could the entire cast back, I'd love to see it given another whirl, but that's coming from someone who didn't do a thing with it. :nervous:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Who are these "many" you speak of?  Where are the hordes of complaints?  I'm not taking offense at this or anything; I just haven't seen the type of sentiment to suggest that there's anywhere near so much of a need for this as you propose.  In fact, when the VA work was released, I seem to remember quite a bit of praise for it.  I mean, we were nowhere near the level of the WCSaga Prologue (which was just incredible), but I think we did a pretty damn good job.  I know I never had any issues with hearing the voice files after tweaking my volume balance a bit.

nuclear, if it's just a matter of compression, it probably wouldn't be necessary to have anyone re-record lines.  I know that I saved all of my original WAV recordings, and I'd be willing to bet that most other people did as well.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
For me, I don't mind the current voices. Interesting mish-mash of "mature" ( Ransom, was it? Did he voice-act Mackie? =X ) and "15-year-old kids" voices IMO.

:)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Some parts could've been alot better. The script is absolutely flawless. (Looks like the defacation is about to hit the ventilation .... LOL ! ) , but yer, the voice acting was quite bland in some parts.

The part where those guys in the nyarlathotep were getting killed by the shivans waking up....that could've been SOOOOOOOOOO much better. . . . . .

Offline neoterran

Who are these "many" you speak of?  Where are the hordes of complaints? 

I've talked to many people on the board, but they can speak for themselves about this in the thread, it's not for me to say their names. But i'm one of them. I don't think the voice acting in Derelict is that great. It's a combination of too young voices, One of the main characters basically whispering all the time, and not very good technical settings / too low etc.

As far as "hordes of complaints" that's your terminology, not mine.
Chief Grognard.

I enjoyed the VA'd Derelict immensely, and I can't see a good reason to hash all that out again.  It was a fan-made campaign, and it was well done.  Yes, WCSaga Prologue has raised the bar a bit for voice acting and sound quality, but I wouldn't spend more time polishing stuff that has already been released (and frequently praised) when there are so many new projects out there that still need work.  We don't have that many good voice actors, and any time they spend on re-voicing Derelict (again) is time they can't spend on campaigns no one has played before.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Nuclear1

nuclear, if it's just a matter of compression, it probably wouldn't be necessary to have anyone re-record lines.  I know that I saved all of my original WAV recordings, and I'd be willing to bet that most other people did as well.

True, and if that could be done, it would be great.

Of course, that would result in a download even larger than the one we had with the original.  BR was smart in that regard to not make it such an impossible download.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline neoterran

Ogg. Nuff Said. Those who aren't using SCP can suffer the WAV download for being hold outs.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Um...the voice files are in OGG already.  The file extension by itself doesn't tell you anything about the bitrate of its encoding, or any filters that may have been applied to the original audio.  For all we know, increasing the quality of these files could double or triple the final VP size.

As for "very young voices," surprise surprise, but a lot of people who play this game are on the younger side.  We have a very limited pool of potential VAs here; it's basically whoever feels that they can make a decent recording and has the will to sit there and say/re-say dozens of lines.  It's not like we can go out and ask Crispin Freeman or Steve Blum (and if you don't know those names, you need to watch more good anime dubs) to record some lines for us.  It's an entirely volunteer effort, and I have a great deal of respect for the skills of quite a few people in our community.  Let me make this challenge to you:  if you think that you'd be able to do a better job than the people who submitted lines, then why don't you let us hear how you'd have done it?

As for all of these people you've supposedly talked to, by all means, get them in here to post their feelings.  Come up with some specific parts (or even specific lines) that you feel aren't up to snuff.  If you're suggesting doing something as massive (and ultimately time-wasting) as re-dubbing an entire campaign, you'd better have some damn good evidence to suggest it.  As a pre-emptory rebuttal, I spent some time going back through the voice VPs, and there were several parts in particular where I thought the VAs did outstanding work (and no, I'm not taking myself into consideration in the least either way).  So...let's hear it, then.

Offline neoterran

Um...the voice files are in OGG already. 

Yeah, no **** ! But I was referring to the previous post about having to have huge massive new wave files, not the existing download size.

If you're suggesting doing something as massive (and ultimately time-wasting) as re-dubbing an entire campaign, you'd better have some damn good evidence to suggest it.

I'm having a poll to see if people would even be interested in doing it. Since they don't seem to be, then i'm not going to make any such effort. I would make an effort if people feel the same way and (and obviously I'm in the minority here). You don't have to take it personally that I think Derelict's VA sucks; it's just my opinion. But it does suck. It's like in counterstrike when a bunch of nerdy kids come on with their lame mic - overs and ruin the whole mood. Well maybe not that bad. But it's bad when one cast member is whispering all his lines in a barely audible whisper, one cast member sounds like 11+ etc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:46:45 pm by neoterran »
Chief Grognard.

I propose a poll to gauge enthusiasm for a project to re-voice act, either in whole or in part, Derelict to improve its feel.

Agreed, if they redo it, they need to get ADULTS to voice act not teenagers!!!!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, God forbid teh ebil teenagerz be allowed to do voice parts!!!!1!1

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
If you care to bring me fourteen-or-so professional adult voice actors, I would be more than happy to revoice Derelict.

In the meantime, I'll see what I can do about modifying the voice volume. Really, I think it's all because I kept the amplitude low to avoid crackling (something that the FS2 voices don't do).

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm not sure if I've said this before, but god damn it neoterran and hunter, if you don't like the voices, don't freaking play with them. Stop *****ing about how bad they are if you don't like them. Just delete it and be on your way.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline neoterran

I'm not sure if I've said this before, but god damn it neoterran and hunter, if you don't like the voices, don't freaking play with them. Stop *****ing about how bad they are if you don't like them. Just delete it and be on your way.

Why should i do that ? because you don't happen to agree with me ? So what you're trying to say is that if I don't have an opinion that matches yours i should "stop *****ing" ? I thought this was a "discussion" board. You're free to disagree with me all you want, but don't tell me not to present my feelings on the matter.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You're free to have your opinions, but dammit this is the second or third thread I've seen complaining about "unprofessional voice acting" in Derelict.

Most of us (including myself) would have sounded better if the damn microphones didn't make our voices sound 3 times higher. :doubt:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline neoterran

you guys would have sounded better if you were in your mid 20's instead of teens.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
you guys would have sounded better if you were in your mid 20's instead of teens.

Just FYI, most of the members here on HLP are teens. :P

Offline Nuclear1

True, but as Blaise said, we're not professional voiceactors, nor are many of us in our (late) 20s-30s.  Given what we have, and the technology available to us (read:  Goldwave, crappy microphones, etc.), we did pretty damn well (especially Cobra, Ransom, Mongoose, and Nix; I particularly enjoyed their parts).