Author Topic: Past, Present and Future  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Past, Present and Future
As promised, a more formal announcement about the state of things. I could go on a very long rant regarding some things, but in the interest of keeping things simple and not starting any issues, I'll stick to the main points as concisely as I can. I also won't go into issues in the past or gossiping. I already said all I have to say about that in a previous post.

The state of things at the moment:
- Some models still need to be finished and are in various stages of completion.
- Despite claims that you may have heard, the missions are in no way done: most of them are horrible in a basic gameplay sense - enemy wing span, ships that just fly straight and are a turkey shoot for the player, some missions are downright impossible to finish, etc. They also don't fit in a coherent whole, narratively speaking. They don't communicate what they're supposed to communicate in terms of narrative, either. It's a mess.
- Other miscellaneous assets need doing, like skyboxes - at the moment, we have old, pixelated skyboxes.
- Ever since I left due to my health problems, development stalled completely. It's dead at the moment. Well, except that from time to time I load up 3dsMax and do something, slowly.

Going forward, the future of the project:
- After talking with the Admins, the best thing to do right now is to archive BWO for a while. I simply cannot do enough at the moment that justifies trying to gather a team. Also, obviously a new roadmap needs to be delineated. So for the moment, consider BWO hibernating or dead. This time officially.
- I'm still holding on to what we have so far, and people who over the years got access to our assets do not have permission to release them or use them. The reason for this is simple: I'm pretty sure that at some point in the future I'll have renewed energy to get back to this. When I do, the models will be in a workable enough state to be used in mission, we will have renewed documentation (something we're severely lacking, if new member's join) and a more proper roadmap. If BWO is ever coming back from the dead, I'll make sure that we have the preset conditions that it is in a good enough state to make working on it enjoyable to anyone new who might join.
- The exception to the above: soon I'll release the HTL GVI Cairo, GTFf Saphah and, what we have so far on the re-mastered demo if I have the permission of the people involved.
- I'll still be around HLP, even if just lurking.

So there it is. I hope this answers any questions you might have. If there's anything I left out, I'll be happy to answer. :)

Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Past, Present and Future
Thanks for the update.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Agggh I so want to just take a month and do the missions up right. If only I had infinite money and time  :(

Is is possible to quantify the number of ships that still have to be made? AFAIK BWO was supposed to have 40 ships or so, but it hasn't been said how many are still in (my favorite ship for example got dropped :( ) and how many of them are complete.

Also, how much work has to be done on the missions? If I got that right, they're currently mostly "outdated/incomplete gameplay wise" and require work on the writing side. Does that count for some missions, arcs or the entire campaign?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Agggh I so want to just take a month and do the missions up right. If only I had infinite money and time  :(
Pay this man!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Is is possible to quantify the number of ships that still have to be made? AFAIK BWO was supposed to have 40 ships or so, but it hasn't been said how many are still in (my favorite ship for example got dropped :( ) and how many of them are complete.

Also, how much work has to be done on the missions? If I got that right, they're currently mostly "outdated/incomplete gameplay wise" and require work on the writing side. Does that count for some missions, arcs or the entire campaign?

40 ships?! We never had intentions of having that many assets. It's around 20\25.
I'll check it once I get home later today.

Hard to tell how much work it's needed for the missions since I'm not a freder. But yeah those issues apply to pretty much the whole campaign, in one form or another.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

I probably mixed up ship's- and mission number... :nervous:

Pay this man!

Good idea. :D

Still wondering but is this
a realistic estimate? A month isn't that much time, even for Battuta...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:00:42 pm by Nightmare »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
**** if I know, probably not

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Yeah, Raven's word is law when it comes to assets. I have had a few people ask me about that, but I just defer to him on that one.

Battuta: How much money? :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It’d need to be a couple grand, probably payable only on completion, but I’ll be open for projects once I get this book turned in and my latest Bungie work finished. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Yeah, Raven's word is law when it comes to assets. I have had a few people ask me about that, but I just defer to him on that one.

Battuta: How much money? :)

Does that mean you're working on BWO than (again)? If I understood this correctly, Raven is the current project leader and will be busy for a while, and there's nobody else working on it right now.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
I'm not the current project leader. Blackdove is.

Raven is a god.

Ah, OK, I was judging from the post where you said that you had to do more and more management things.