Author Topic: The Demo  (Read 20566 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Ah ok, I totally get it. You can always create a new thread with such things :)

I don't think addind the Minerva would be the best idea at the moment. We already have trouble finishing what we have to finish, so adding even more things wouldn't help our case :P
If I ever finish the Minerva, I'll release it publicly for sure.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Ah ok, I totally get it. You can always create a new thread with such things :)

Some people manage to do that even without hitting the "New Topic"-button themselves.. anyway.

Good to hear there's hope for the ship (and BWO, of course). :D

Back on topic: everybody go play the demo and post some feedback. :)

Offline CT27

I just finished the demo a couple days ago.  Except for a minor technical glitch (the GTD Leunenberg (sp?) in all but the last mission appeared simply as a green dot on the radar whereas in the final mission it showed up correctly as a green destroyer icon) it played fine and was enjoyable.

A question about the plot of the demo and BWO:  the demo deals with the Scion of Vasuda (basically a Vasudan equivalent to the NTF) but IIRC the plot of main BWO was going to be dealing with a war in Sol correct?  So what happened in between the two or was the main BWO campaign going to have you fight the Scion too?

On the other hand, if the main BWO campaign didn't feature the Scion much I can think of a possible reason:
Spoiler:
  The destruction of the Scion was accomplished by the debut of the Golgotha.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Yes, the Scion is a Vasudan "mirror" of the NTF, although not completely the same.
The main campaign will deal with  war in Sol, bit there are other things connected with it, the Scion being one of them. So yes, you'll deal with then as well ok the main campaign.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
I just finished the demo a couple days ago.  Except for a minor technical glitch (the GTD Leunenberg (sp?) in all but the last mission appeared simply as a green dot on the radar whereas in the final mission it showed up correctly as a green destroyer icon) it played fine and was enjoyable.

A question about the plot of the demo and BWO:  the demo deals with the Scion of Vasuda (basically a Vasudan equivalent to the NTF) but IIRC the plot of main BWO was going to be dealing with a war in Sol correct?  So what happened in between the two or was the main BWO campaign going to have you fight the Scion too?

On the other hand, if the main BWO campaign didn't feature the Scion much I can think of a possible reason:
Spoiler:
  The destruction of the Scion was accomplished by the debut of the Golgotha.

there is a bigger threat behind everything that is working in shadows until time is right
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Note one thing: BWO aims to follow on Freespace's style and tone. One of the things about FS1, ST and FS2 is that there are always more than one enemy at any given time, and those plots are always connected in some way. Some might seem disconnected at first (the NTF for example, until Bosch's real agenda is revealed), but they definitely play pivotal roles in the larger issue, or exist as a consequence of it (HOL).
BWO does the same. Superficially, one might interpret that the Vasudans are extremely unified as a species, that Khonsu is adored by all, but that's not true at all. The SoV is a lens into the opposing perspective.

Raven is a god.

there is a bigger threat behind everything that is working in shadows until time is right

Q. Icefire posted somewhere that MT and BWO were 2 takes on the same thing. So if you read MTs story, would you be able to guess major parts of BWOs plot then?

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Nop, not even close :P
I believe what Ice meant is that they both were about a return to Sol, because other than that they don't have anything in common.

Raven is a god.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, because BWO was atleast part of the Cold Element continuity, maybe the answers are in Derelict or the partly released The Babel Effect (or maybe in its unreleased but also already created missions)  :D

I mean this company in Derelict, how was its name? Morgan Technologies?, was not completely destroyed after all.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Well, because BWO was atleast part of the Cold Element continuity, maybe the answers are in Derelict or the partly released The Babel Effect (or maybe in its unreleased but also already created missions)  :D

I mean this company in Derelict, how was its name? Morgan Technologies?, was not completely destroyed after all.

I think you mean Twilight, Babel Effect was cancelled AFAIK. Possible, yes.

Well I meant this: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=48507.msg1133979#msg1133979

But on the other hand, the missions were considered done back then, so there's no way of knowing. :D

So GTVI is not evil?

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
I might be wrong, because it's before my time, but iirc Babel Effect was the working title of Twilight. They are one and the same.

No one is evil in BWO.

Raven is a god.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, because The Babel Effect was announced as "The Conclusion to FreeSpace2: Twilight" even on its webpage (still available through waybackmachine), i always had the impression, that Twilight was never more than a prologue to The Babel Effect...

But i do not think, that this really matter today, because there was nothing released after Twilight except some fiction entries.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Can you send a link to that?
Maybe Blackdove knows more than me on this.

As for Ice's linked post, the only way I can interpret it is that either he didn't know details about MT's plot, or he was suggesting that maybe they could've joined forces and produce some kind of hybrid.
I was in MTs team, so I know the plot, and comparing MT with BWO is like comparing night and day.

Raven is a god.

"The Babel Effect cancelled": http://web.archive.org/web/20020405180305/http://www.3dap.com/hlp/#PQN360674

TBE website (Edit. used an earlier date): http://web.archive.org/web/20010907230546/http://freespace.volitionwatch.com:80/babel_effect/plot.htm

IIRC Ace said somewhere that "you can't play The Babel Effect, it was never released", but I really don't remember where.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Oh I remember this, actually! Anything I say about it is complete speculation, though.
But it was never completed, for sure.

Raven is a god.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
For all intents and purposes, Twilight, Derelict, and Warzone all "happened" in the continuity with BWO, but they are only briefly referenced when they do show up. Some characters may be recognizable.

It would have been really bad of us to start hinging the plot on three or more campaigns that people would need to play and fully understand together in context with the official games.

The player only needs to have played FS1, Silent Threat, and FS2 to understand BlackWater.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Alright, you should be able to find the Demo in Knossos.
I removed the quotation marks from the tech entries, so it should read properly now. I also added the interface fix. Keep in mind that these changes are only available in the Knossos version (we're using Knossos exclusively now, I guess)

Raven is a god.

Here's the link for people who don't use Knossos:

https://fsnebula.org/mod/BWO_Demo

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Thanks! ) I'd add that link to the OP, if you're cool with it.

Raven is a god.

Well of course :nod: