Author Topic: Wing Commander Arena  (Read 16581 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Didn't someone make a top down game of a Herc II versus a Mara or something like that some time ago?

Desktop freespace?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The fighters do look sort of like Arrows and Rapiers, but why not have the capships also look like WC1 ships?
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline neoterran

Freespace SCP for 360 would mop this up.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Lets see if it has banner ads in it, bugs galor, horrible controls and limited support.  ;)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
What.
The.
Is.
That.

EDIT: And seeing this game definitely lowers my hopes for the BSG game for Xbox Live Arcade.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 09:31:45 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I am *really* surprised how well CIC is receiving this. It almost seems like a neglected child finally receiving some love from a long-lost parent.

But really... it's not Wing Commander by any stretch of the imagination.

A 3rd person dogfight game focusing on the fighters without 'powerups' or 'destroy asteroids' and oversized space stations would seem better to me.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
What.
The.
Is.
That.

EDIT: And seeing this game definitely lowers my hopes for the BSG game for Xbox Live Arcade.

Is it being made by EA?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 01:08:53 am by Deepblue »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Ya that would be an interesting challenge.  Are there any models of the ships?

The problem is that Gothic is really not suitable for such a mod from a gameplay standpoint; and besides, the greebles would make your computer scream in agony.

Now, if you want to talk suitable mods that need to come back, let's talk about the AeroTech 2 one.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I have found some at http://www.scifi-meshes.com/meshes/index.php?cid=10, but they don't look the same.
Ya with full detail they would be murder to do, never-the-less it could be fun to get something working  :)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
The problem is that Gothic is really not suitable for such a mod from a gameplay standpoint; and besides, the greebles would make your computer scream in agony.

Now, if you want to talk suitable mods that need to come back, let's talk about the AeroTech 2 one.

But... But..  :( Then i wouldn't get my flying gothic cathedrals  :(

Though its true that BFG is not be suitable for space fighter sim.. HW2 (without resourcing) would fit a lot  better.

AeroTech 2 might be doable though.. Only downside is that some of models are really, really ugly. Might be cool though.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
My first thought: "Wow cool a new Wing Commander game! Weeee!"

My second thought: "Omg wtf!?!?"

This is a bad joke. Maybe it will be a nice game to play for a half hour or so, but calling it Wing Commander is a crime. You can't do that.

I mean... I could replace some sprites in Worms with Gordon Freeman and call it "Half Life: The Battle!"
Could that possibly upset some players?  :rolleyes:
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Sphynx

Didn't someone make a top down game of a Herc II versus a Mara or something like that some time ago?

Desktop freespace?

Yes, that's the one! Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Freespace 2: Arena.  :D It's not what you hoped for  :nervous: dare I say it?  :nervous: F*S*3*  :nervous: but here it is!

To be fair, Arena looks like a fun little game in and of itself. Nothing too deep, mostly fluff, but fun. I don't think I'd have any reservations about it if it wasn't presenting itself as Wing Commander. It reminds me more of Lunatic Fringe, actually.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 01:47:57 pm by Sphynx »
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Sphynx

I am *really* surprised how well CIC is receiving this. It almost seems like a neglected child finally receiving some love from a long-lost parent.

Well... that may have something to do with the fact that those who voiced opposition got banned pretty quickly and the thread got closed...

I can undestand that for LOAF and Chris and some of the other big players this is a big thing, and they don't want anybody raining on their parade. They've waited a long time for a new WC tite, and seeing other WC fans dripping with dissapointment is going to come as a bit of a shock to them. Honestly, I don't have a problem with someone else being excited about this, I just can't bring myself to get excited about it, that's all. I'm open to the idea that some people will think this is the best thing since sliced bread: I'm just not one of them.

What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
I'm sorry, but I have to respond to this monstrocity.
 This is notthing more than a cheap kimmick to ruin our childhoods :doubt:
 :mad2: :mad2:  ****ing EA ruin things they shouldent
 :snipe:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 02:56:50 pm by Desert Tyrant »

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I expect nothing less from them.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
If you wan to laugh, watch the interview on CIC.

http://www.wcnews.com/news/2696

"You choose to be either Kilrathi or you choose to be human, and that's something you couldn't actually ever do in any of the previous Wing Commander titles."

WTF? Of course you couldn't play the Kilrathi. Origin would have had to create a whole new plot, FMVs, everything... in other words,  a whole second game!
In a simple arcade game you just change the player shipmodel.  :rolleyes:

"It's an arcade game, so you want people to be able to just pick it up and play it, but it is a Wing Commander title, it is a space combat game, so you want to add some depth to it. So it's pick up and play, but there's layers of depth.

"Pick up and play" is good, so would be layers of deep, but they don't seem to be in the game. Unless there is a hidden story mode nobody told me about yet.

" [...]so with the right stick you can do barrel rolls, you can do flips, you can do immelman turns, you can do 180s and different ships have different special maneuvers that they can do."

Barrel roll?... wasn't that StarFox?...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:35:12 pm by DaBrain »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
At least WCS had some influence into it, take a look at the name of the fighter/player on the left :D

http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/arenainterview5.jpg
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
"You choose to be either Kilrathi or you choose to be human, and that's something you couldn't actually ever do in any of the previous Wing Commander titles."[/b]

I never really played Armada, but I believe that you could play as Kilrathi. So that statement is false :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Tolwyn is correct.

Selective memory?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
At least WCS had some influence into it, take a look at the name of the fighter/player on the left :D

http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/arenainterview5.jpg

That's what I thought too.

Looks like the developers played WCS. If they are really Wing Commander fans, that wouldn't surprise me. ;)

Gaia Industries  +1 sympathy

I wouldn't blame the developers too much anyway.
Working for EA on a WC title is a pretty good chance... although they they where forced to work on a cheap concept with a (likely) very low budget...
(hosted by Game-Warden)