Author Topic: 2009-03-15 - An Estimate  (Read 78091 times)

Offline Revan

• Sith Master
Re: 09-03-15 - An Estimate
Yes, it's going to take so many years to release that the calender will be adjusted to merge june and july into one month.
:lol:

And what good would it do you or us to give out another date which we may or may not hit? What would it tell you that you don't know already?
I didn't asked for a spezial date. It seemed the first release will be out this month. It wasn't, and that is okay. You said to Relase it will need verry hard work. Everybody knows that there is a real life too. For that you have surely understandings.

However it could be known interesting how your estimation to the release date looks now.  I see on that also nothing bad.  An estimation is not binding, would permit however a coarse insight into the development.  Around more, I do not ask. 

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
There is a way to "compute" the exact date of release.

Developement
+op is-development-done-delay
  +op all-of
    Freding
    Coding
    Tabling
    Modeling
    Texturing
    Voiceacting
    Scripting
    Bugfixing
    Betatesting
  +op send-message
     "we are proud to..."

+op is previous-event-true
     Diaspora
     Developement
+op release

:P  :D :P :D

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
What is to be gained from asking? When it's done it's done.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There is a way to "compute" the exact date of release.

Developement
+op is-development-done-delay
  +op all-of
    Freding
    Coding
    Tabling
    Modeling
    Texturing
    Voiceacting
    Scripting
    Bugfixing
    Betatesting
  +op send-message
     "we are proud to..."

+op is previous-event-true
     Diaspora
     Developement
+op release

:P  :D :P :D

That's a kind of over-complicated SEXP string though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes, it's going to take so many years to release that the calender will be adjusted to merge june and july into one month.
:lol:

And what good would it do you or us to give out another date which we may or may not hit? What would it tell you that you don't know already?
I didn't asked for a spezial date. It seemed the first release will be out this month. It wasn't, and that is okay. You said to Relase it will need verry hard work. Everybody knows that there is a real life too. For that you have surely understandings.

However it could be known interesting how your estimation to the release date looks now.  I see on that also nothing bad.  An estimation is not binding, would permit however a coarse insight into the development.  Around more, I do not ask. 

Read Newman's post. They just don't know.

I think it's not a matter of how much time they have left, but what they have to finish. And the time that's going to require is unpredictable.

Offline newman

I think it's not a matter of how much time they have left, but what they have to finish. And the time that's going to require is unpredictable.

You hit the nail on the head there. I mean, let's say I get assigned to build and texture a ship today, that's needed for the release. I predict it will take me about a month to finish it. Then a week after I started some big real life work project starts unpredictably and suddenly I'm busy for the next 6 weeks and barely make any progress on the ship. And if you think this happens rarely.. it happens all the time here. That's the nature of art related jobs, I'm afraid. So now factor in that there are multiple artists all working on stuff needed for r1, and this can happen to some or even all of them at any given point. We've tried to give estimates before and it didn't quite work out for exactly this sort of reason - sometimes real life will make people disappear for months. So when you take all this into account, any sort of estimate we give you now would be meaningless.
Frankly I don't think we can say for sure when we're releasing before we reach the beta testing stage.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Yep, some of you are acting as if we actually know a release date and are witholding it for some reason. Honestly, when it's done it's done, we'd like to know when just as bad. And constantly harassing us for a release date can't really make us invent one that'll be accurate. The only thing it can do for sure is annoy, and so far it's doing a bang-up job of it. Now if this was a commercial project and you were paying customers, you'd be on a bit more solid ground demanding a release date from us (and being paid for it, we'd be on a more solid ground to give you one).
Now please, stop asking. We're not purposely witholding information - when we have updates, we'll show you updates, and when we're certain of a release date, you'll get one.

Ah allright... thought you may have a vague idea but just afraid to say... and needed some confidence boosting :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Look on the bright side, the wait is not because of lack of stuff, you can be assured about that, it's more about putting the puzzle together than finding the pieces ;)

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Think it will be out by august? xD
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline Fish

• Nugget

How about you read the comments from the dev team thus far, and then apologise for being stupid?

I'm content to wait, fwiw.
<><

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Truth of the matter is we already finished it.  The problem is that all the beta testers we hired had their faces melt off when they played it, think Raiders of the Lost Ark, because it was just that amazing.  Therefore we faced a dilemma, working for the USPS newman has a surprisingly acute grasp of the legal system(apparently the Service has grand plans for global domination through the courts) and informed us we would be liable for damages if we released the final in its current state.  Lucky for us he had already had the first intrepid souls sign wavers before hand, but don't feel to bad they did look deliriously happy before their musculature turned into goo and puddled at their feet.  So since all of you have such weak constitutions we've been forced to slowly scale back R1 into something that can be perceived by your meek corporeal senses without your eyeballs exploding out your heads and your epidermis falling off your faces.  It's a difficult task striking the perfect balance between quality and combustion inducing greatness but I'm confident the team is up to the task.  

Before you ask, no we will not release the first version if your willing to sign a waver. We turned it over to the government, I believe they put it in a wooden crate and shipped it off to a secret depot where they store all items to dangerous for mortal hands.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
So if you want to get it, join a sovjet assault force that is looking for a alien head shaped cake. :P

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob

How about you read the comments from the dev team thus far, and then apologise for being stupid?

I'm content to wait, fwiw.

Hey! Chill out Fish. Just fooling around, Iv been around here long enough to learn some patience.
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
apparently the Service has grand plans for global domination through the courts

Plans? What, you think that the USPS is a bunch of Republic serial villains? They already took over the world, 150 years ago.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Allright, how about instead telling us how much of what has been completed? Is voicing done? Or at least have all the roles? How about fredding? 3/6 missions done?  :lol:

Offline newman

Allright, how about instead telling us how much of what has been completed? Is voicing done? Or at least have all the roles? How about fredding? 3/6 missions done?  :lol:

"Dad, can I have an ice-cream now?"
"No son, sorry but there doesn't seem to be an ice cream stand around here"
"Well can I have one soon?"
"Sure son, just not sure how soon."
"Well why aren't there any ice cream stands here?"
"Because we're on a frigging highway driving, that's why. You'll have to wait."
"Well how fast are we driving dad?"
"We keep changing speed due to traffic conditions, son"
"Well how many miles left in front of us?"
*dad stops the car and smacks the kid in the mouth.

Draw your own conclusions.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

"Dad, can I have an ice-cream now?"
"No son, sorry but there doesn't seem to be an ice cream stand around here"
"Well can I have one soon?"
"Sure son, just not sure how soon."
"Well why aren't there any ice cream stands here?"
"Because we're on a frigging highway driving, that's why. You'll have to wait."
"Well how fast are we driving dad?"
"We keep changing speed due to traffic conditions, son"
"Well how many miles left in front of us?"
*dad stops the car and smacks the kid in the mouth.

Draw your own conclusions.

[Troll in Training ]

hm, there are quite a few possibilities here:

1. there aren't enough ice cream stands
2. the car isn't fast enough
3. there are way to many cars on the street
4. kids are annoying little brats
5. don't ask questions that have been already answered

the most unlikely one:

6. the team is working hard on the game, but due to real life, jobs ( both time consuming *****es )and the large amount of work that needs to be done, also the fact that some things are easier then others to accomplish, not even Master Yoda could give an estimate for a release date.  :D

[Troll in Training ]

Offline newman

Actually, all those points are true :)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Attention developers: I would like to be hired as part of the Diaspora dev team. I'd like to apply for the position of "bull**** release date announcer," so you guys don't have to be pestered by people anymore. My job would consist of randomly assigning a date for the release of various sections of the game, no matter how far along the development actually is. This way, people say "OH **** IT'S COMING OUT JULY 23RD!" But when that's come and gone and the game's not out yet, I'll give some fake-ass excuse and say "Sorry guys, it's coming out September 15th," continually keeping the heat off of you.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Narvi

Attention developers: I would like to be hired as part of the Diaspora dev team. I'd like to apply for the position of "bull**** release date announcer," so you guys don't have to be pestered by people anymore. My job would consist of randomly assigning a date for the release of various sections of the game, no matter how far along the development actually is. This way, people say "OH **** IT'S COMING OUT JULY 23RD!" But when that's come and gone and the game's not out yet, I'll give some fake-ass excuse and say "Sorry guys, it's coming out September 15th," continually keeping the heat off of you.

I hear Valve has one on staff permanently.