Author Topic: HALO 2 FOR PC!!!!!  (Read 12620 times)

Halo's indoor gameplay was very poor. One time, there was this room full of two or three hunters, except I just walked right past them in a hallway just outside the room. I mean, did Bungie actually expect us to bother with them?

Yea, considering how after that part you have to fight 5 spec-ops elites. If you don't kill the hunters before you reach the security panel (Mission 3: The Silent Cartographer) you have to fight them AND the Hunters. Bungie designed Halo so that intelligent players that watch what's going on can go the easiest way around the Covenant. Those that aren't so observant end up fighting flood after flood of Flood. That's why I liked Halo. There are so many ways to go through the campaign. You could quickly jog through mission after mission ignoring the Flood and the Covenant, or you could sit tight and kill every last Covenant. It's up to you.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I think my favorite "trick" was to drop about 3 stories in the SC basement area onto an overshield. Because I land on the overshield, I do not die. :)

never once did I find myself even remotly impressed by halos gameplay

cnc renegade on the other hand, impressed me, quake 2, back in the day, impressed me, way back in the day quake, the original, shareware quake impressed me

halo was just... mehtacular

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Given that you can now get an Xbox with Halo 2 and 3 other games from Argos for about £50, you'd be an idiot to get Vista for it anyways......  and in any case, like Halo 1 was, it'll be hopelessly surpassed by the newest games on the market when it arrives.

Offline Roanoke

I actually finished Halo on legendary for the first time last week. I'd always get wasted on the first tower of Halo and then get bored of it. Not this time. Pistol & Needler defeat all. With help from the odd shotgun & rocket.

cnc renegade on the other hand, impressed me, quake 2, back in the day, impressed me, way back in the day quake, the original, shareware quake impressed me

seriously, and at the danger of sounding like a fan boy, how can you compaire Halo to CnC Renegade ? Renegade was so poor it's not even funny (that's XBox Halo when it was new, not the obsolete PC port).

Given that you can now get an Xbox with Halo 2 and 3 other games from Argos for about £50, you'd be an idiot to get Vista for it anyways......  and in any case, like Halo 1 was, it'll be hopelessly surpassed by the newest games on the market when it arrives.

Halo 2 PC is meant for those PC Gamers that are already upgrading to Vista, have a bank account set up to buy Halo 2.....wait...no, it's just for those of us who are buying Vista, and have been waiting for Halo 2 to come out for PC for the last 3 years.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

I actually finished Halo on legendary for the first time last week. I'd always get wasted on the first tower of Halo and then get bored of it. Not this time. Pistol & Needler defeat all. With help from the odd shotgun & rocket.

seriously, and at the danger of sounding like a fan boy, how can you compaire Halo to CnC Renegade ? Renegade was so poor it's not even funny (that's XBox Halo when it was new, not the obsolete PC port).

obsolescence doesn't matter, I am talking about gameplay, not graphics, gameplay

I gesture vaguely at Nethack, Rogue and ADOM to support that point

Offline Roanoke

obsolescence doesn't matter, I am talking about gameplay, not graphics, gameplay

I gesture vaguely at Nethack, Rogue and ADOM to support that point

who mentioned graphics ? but if you wanna try it Renegade doesn't even compaire. And as for gameplay, Renegade was solid ( I still play it occassionaly) but completley unremarkable. And Havoc was so the "generic all muscle no brain" to almost be a parody.

what's that about Nethack, Rogue and ADOM BTW ?

they are demonstrations of completly obsolete games that are intensly fun, and always will be

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
ADOM is alright, but the grinding is tedious.

I dunno, you can get to level 13 in less than five minutes pretty easily with most classes

Offline bloated

the graphics look pretty old to be honest, they have some added flash but nothing that can't be handled by an X800 GTO or even a 9800pro if the screenshots are any indication..... I liked Halo 2 and it was a step up compared to Halo which was amazing for it's day but neither have translated well to PC because PC First Person Shooters have improved so much by the time Microsoft gets around to releasing the Halo editions for PC.

and as a final rant..... :mad2: :hopping: Halo 2 is a deliberate marketing ploy by MS along with making DX10 Vista only they are siimply forcing to make the move to their next crappy OS that will take 3 years just to become stable and established enough for universal support.

so in the end I will not upgrade to Vista until SP1 or even SP2 and I won't bother with Halo 2 1 because I already finnished it on my Xbox numerous times and also because it's Vista only.

You know someone will make a crack for it that will allow it to run on Windows XP...
Eddie Guerrero R.I.P. 1967-2005

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
and as a final rant..... :mad2: :hopping: Halo 2 is a deliberate marketing ploy by MS along with making DX10 Vista only they are siimply forcing to make the move to their next crappy OS that will take 3 years just to become stable and established enough for universal support.
Speak for yourself. It's been stated several times already that only the most die-hard Halo fanbois will upgrade to Vista 'soley' for Halo 2, and even then it's rather pointless as said fanbois will much prefer to play it on their consoles. Microsoft isn't 'forcing' anyone to do anything, it's just a play to get a bit more cash out of the Halo license during the lull between sequels.

Offline bloated

Speak for yourself. It's been stated several times already that only the most die-hard Halo fanbois will upgrade to Vista 'soley' for Halo 2, and even then it's rather pointless as said fanbois will much prefer to play it on their consoles. Microsoft isn't 'forcing' anyone to do anything,
it's just a play to get a bit more cash out of the Halo license during the lull between sequels.
if you had a wider view on things you might understand far better.

Halo 2 will be Vista only, Halo 2 an outdated Xbox game that was compatible with the current operating systems will get launched as Vista only, a yet unreleased un-established in the marketplace future OS.........ppl will look into it, many won't play it, others will, very few will upgrade their system solely to play it but the message is clear and will stick long after Halo 2 for PC fades into obscurity.

Microsofts message to all but the too dim to see it: Vista is the only future gaming platform in town so regardless of whether or not consumers want to upgrade to Vista, regardless of whether or not gamers are reluctant to upgrade to Vista, if you want to do any kind of future gaming you are being forced to upgrade to Vista, they've done this by restricting  DX10 so if you want to take advantage of any future features in games you are being forced to upgrade to Vista. as well as by making the new launch titles Vista only whether they need be or not.

as for the 2nd part don't profess knowledge when you have none, the screenshots show it's obvious Microsoft isn't upgrading Halo 2 visually aside form tweaks so if Microsoft wanted to make alot of money off Halo 2 for PC why would they restrict it to an Operating system that isn't released yet?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 01:49:41 pm by bloated »

as for the 2nd part don't profess knowledge when you have none, the screenshots show it's obvious Microsoft isn't upgrading Halo 2 visually aside form tweaks so if Microsoft wanted to make alot of money off Halo 2 for PC why would they restrict it to an Operating system that isn't released yet?

WRONG! They are completely going over Halo 2s visual effects. Bungie told PCG that they had to go back and re-work deleted textures that the Xbox couldn't run, but Vista will. They're also increasing the dpi by at least 200. Also, PCG noted that in there's rendered lights and shadows IN THE BACKGROUND!. That's a little more than a tweak. Plus, (I don't know if this is confirmed) I think they're going to be releasing more maps like they did for Halo PC.

They're re-working the whole game, rather than just taking the game and sticking it onto a PC (like they did with Halo: Combat Evolved). Finally, I'm sure there'll be mod support (like there was for Halo PC).
[/rant]

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I do hope you're right. That was my own pet peev with Halo. I had heard about it on the XBox and was really looking forward to playing it on the PC when it came out - but it really felt like a console game... and consoles games don't really belong on PCs.

Yea, it did feel a lot like a console game, but it was Halo so.....

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
*Snip*
Whoops, my bad. Inadvertantly skipped the bolded part which drastically changes what you were trying to convey. I thought you were implying that by making Halo 2 Vista-exclusive, they were 'forcing' people to upgrade. As you can see, my point of view - while erroneous - still holds merit.

Anyway, yeah, I agree with you in most respects. But just a tip; next time, try coming off a little less up yourself. You'll find that you get the message across far easier and you don't sound like an asshat whilst doing so. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What's your Halo/Halo CE screen name?
Just wondering...
mine is, >surprise!< for Halo, jr2 and Halo CE is, well, jr2
 :D