Author Topic: Blue Planet - A list of firsts [Spoilers]  (Read 5585 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Blue Planet - A list of firsts [Spoilers]
Hey, also first time I can't play a mission because even with the lowest settings evar the fps is below 1. But I guess everyone know that already.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
* First time since Tomb Raider I've played as a female character
* First time I've played a lesbian. I can't already relate easily to a female character, I can relate even less to one attracted to women

Waaaaaait. Are you straight? If so, shouldn't being attracted to women be....more relatable?

* First time I've paused in the middle of a FS2 campaign because I couldn't stomach more scenaristic punches to the gut
* First time I've posted on these boards. W00t.

What's scenaristic?

Offline Darius

Well I guess a female acquaintance who he knows IRL who isn't attracted to women will make a similar character ingame more relatable.

Offline Erkhyan

• My ramblings
General Battuta, I'm a gay male. I have trouble relating to women at all (at least with straight women I share the attraction to men?). Don't mistake my words though — having a lesbian character makes it harder for me to relate, not impossible. So far I'm doing okay with WiH.

As for "scenaristic", sorry, I guess I did some dumb translation from French there (I have English as a third language...). Please understand "scenaristic punches to the gut" as "punches in the gut dealt by a scenario." I've been through this last year and still have to deal with the aftermath (the wiki doesn't mention that the crisis is still ongoing as of now), so playing a game as the constantly losing side hits rather close to home.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:59:00 am by Erkhyan »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
General Battuta, I'm a gay male. I have trouble relating to women at all (at least with straight women I share the attraction to men?). Don't mistake my words though — having a lesbian character makes it harder for me to relate, not impossible. So far I'm doing okay with WiH.

A ha! Makes sense. And my bad for making assumptions.

As for "scenaristic", sorry, I guess I did some dumb translation from French there (I have English as a third language...). Please understand "scenaristic punches to the gut" as "punches in the gut dealt by a scenario."

Also makes sense.

It strikes me that Laporte's sexual orientation is a very, very small part of the story isn't it? Future Earth seems to find same-sex relationships to be quite normal. Either way, seeing as it's hardly a big deal I don't see why that in itself would prevent anyone from relating to the character. She has quite a lot else going on in her life!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I barely noticed it myself, other than my inner 12-year-old having the occasional, "ooh, hawt" thought.  Their relationship was portrayed about as realistically as it could be.

Two firsts for me, one of which I've been pleading for ever since I signed up on the boards:

Spoiler:
  The first time I've gotten to go from launch, to jump, to combat, and then jump away, in ONE mission, complete with subspace entry.  Seriously, that was fantastic. I've always wanted to jump from one place to another in-game (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=55640.msg1124230#msg1124230)

So having that was like christmas...a present just for me. So thanks guys!  (spoiler tags since if anyone had spoiled that surprise for me, I would have gone on a killing spree

2.  First time I've cared about my wingmen.  Creating a compelling military drama, and eliciting sympathy from the player, are two separate, equally difficult things. This is the first time I've seen them both in the same mod.
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
First time I felt bad for the families of all the poor bastards on that freighter I couldn't protect.

Which freighter?

One of the civvie ships in the first mission. I found myself swearing under my breath when it blew up. Not because I failed the mission or anything, but because the briefing was so well written I was able to suspend my disbelief.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."