Author Topic: The WiH voiceacting effort  (Read 6747 times)

Re: The WiH voiceacting effort
Heh.  Got kind of ahead of myself; recorded lines for Shuduhune Alpha 1 before realizing that the lines were using the female pilot icon.   :nervous:  Might be a good role for -Sara-, though, if she doesn't think she could do Laporte or Simms.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:10:48 pm by Renegade Paladin »
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
I'm glad you guys are moving ahead with this. If I remember rightly a Blue Planet team member said they didn't expect WiH to ever get voice acted, as there was simply too much dialogue, story text etc. While the sheer amount of text must be daunting, it's good to see this may be happening after all.

I read that you guys were aiming for the in-mission dialogue to sound like real soldiers barking orders, and I love that about BP, 'cause I think you achieved it (I know nothing about how realistic this actually was, but to my untrained eye it was entirely convincing). But oh, how immersive it would be to actually hear it being spoken, with a deadpan, non-emotional professional military voice telling you to kill all these Tevs rather than simply reading their orders. It would really make the whole thing even more intense than it is now.

By the way, who voiced the Orestes in AoA? His voice was my personal favourite, I'm not sure why, but I felt he conveyed a lot of subtle emotion with his performance...like he was well-trained and professional but you could always hear a hint of fear/confusion in him...

Excuse my ramblings. Basically my point is, WiH: excellent. WiH with voice acting: perfect. Which I'm sure you're already aware of.  :p
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm glad you guys are moving ahead with this. If I remember rightly a Blue Planet team member said they didn't expect WiH to ever get voice acted, as there was simply too much dialogue, story text etc. While the sheer amount of text must be daunting, it's good to see this may be happening after all.

The script is only halfway generated and it's already about 200 pages.  :shaking:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I wantsta be Olefumi!

I started loving that character when he uttered "undereducated and dangerous."
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline -Norbert-

By the way, who voiced the Orestes in AoA?

If my memory serves me right, Colonel Dekker voiced the Orestes controll, though the Orestes also spoke with the voice of Admiral Bei. But all the voice actors are in the credits of AoA.

The script is only halfway generated and it's already about 200 pages.  :shaking:
Damn the torpedoes; we'll do it anyway!    :D :yes:  I'm just saddened that all the best parts belong to characters I literally cannot voice. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Glad I found this post. Didn't know that there was no voice acting, since I just found this site and got AoA and WIH at the same time and AoA had VA..glad to see its going along. For me The Microsoft Sam does some of the voices but most are silent..annoying to read all that. Great campaign though.  :yes:
"And God said, 'Let there be football'. It came to be, and He saw that it was awesome."

"I played in a death metal band. People either loved us or hated us. Or they thought we were OK."

Offline Qent

Glad I found this post. Didn't know that there was no voice acting, since I just found this site and got AoA and WIH at the same time and AoA had VA..glad to see its going along. For me The Microsoft Sam does some of the voices but most are silent..annoying to read all that. Great campaign though.  :yes:
Welcome! Unfortunately that's a limitation of the engine that it can't tell the difference between the "BEEP BEEP" and a real voice clip.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Welcome! Unfortunately that's a limitation of the engine that it can't tell the difference between the "BEEP BEEP" and a real voice clip.

A limitation we just got fixed.

When will that be available?
"And God said, 'Let there be football'. It came to be, and He saw that it was awesome."

"I played in a death metal band. People either loved us or hated us. Or they thought we were OK."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

When will that be available?

We will need to update our messages.tbl to work with the new feature that just got coded into the engine. Probably released with R2, but we could hypothetically patch it in.

Offline -Sara-

Heh.  Got kind of ahead of myself; recorded lines for Shuduhune Alpha 1 before realizing that the lines were using the female pilot icon.   :nervous:  Might be a good role for -Sara-, though, if she doesn't think she could do Laporte or Simms.  

I'd have to get a proper mic first which doesn't crackle like a bag of crisps. I'll try to filter the noise first and see if I can make a decent sample. Gotta 'find' wavelabs somewhere first then.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Go figure, I also recorded lines for Shudune Alpha 1. The sticky says 'Male/female'
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Go figure, I also recorded lines for Shudune Alpha 1. The sticky says 'Male/female'

Someone should fix that.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:

Someone should fix that.

That one is fixed.  Though I am sure that there are others. :doubt:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Cosoleto should be male only.

For the Wrong Reasons Pisces 1 needs to be male only.

For the Wrong Reasons Gef Survivor needs to be female only.

Major Ran Gia should be female only.

Xinny and Zero are both male.

Kai Chavel should be male.

Ogre should be male.

Glance should be female.

GTCv Arethusa should be male and the ship's captain.

What Binds Us Scorpio 1 must be male.

The following lines are not used and should be cut from the script:

Knight 2
Male or female. Age flexible.  Professional solider (pilot).
Audition lines (1 line) (Note the audition lines are the actors entire role).
File: bp213s017.ogg
"...three times is enemy action. Heads up, we got company!"
Reshadiye Engineering
Male or female. Age flexible. Engineer of a transport.
Audition lines (2 lines) (Note the audition lines are the actors entire role).
File: bp213s008.ogg
"Bridge, this is the engine room. We had to seal off the entire area...that blast took out most of our bulkheads and there's radiation all over the place. Casualties are high, we need medical aid now!"
File: bp213s011.ogg
"Explosives! Detonated in the reactor room. There's no one left alive down there to confirm damage reports!"
Reshadiye Security
Male or female. Age flexible. Security officer of a transport.
Audition lines (2 lines) (Note the audition lines are the actors entire role).
File: bp213s009.ogg
"Bridge, Security here. The Elder has been confirmed safe. We're confining her to her quarters for the time being."
File: bp213s012.ogg
"Bridge, this is Security. We've just resolved a firefight in the launch bay. Ensign Zulkifri was killed attempting to escape via shuttlecraft. She has a detonator in her possession."

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
"Bridge, Security here. The Elder has been confirmed safe. We're confining her to her quarters for the time being."
Done.  I was sure I seen this line in the used on my playthough though.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Done.  I was sure I seen this line in the used on my playthough though.

Hrm...I don't think so...