Author Topic: One question...  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
What happens when you try to recreate the Battle of Endor?  :lol:
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It makes baby jesus cry.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I think it's safe to say that a truy faithful recreation of the battle of endor is pretty much impossible in the FS2 engine. You might - might - be able to do small parts of the battle as separate missions that are lined together via red alert, but it'd never be truly a faithful recreation. The engine simply wouldn't handle it.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I confirm, the actual Fs2 engine can't handle more than 100 ships. It's sad but it's the reality.   :(

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's not so much the 100 ship limit that prevents a good BoE mission as it is the cap ship AI, and the control you have with FRED I believe.  At least that's what I'd read before.  Were there really way over 100 ships involved in the BoE?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Capships I'd say there'd be in the vicinity of 100 - well over 50, certainly, easily, easily over 100 (probably closer to five) if you want to include fighters as well.. It's not so much the number of ships as it is the number of weapons effects, particularly in a universe where attacking another ship means firing hundreds of blob type turrets. Twould Kill FS2 for sure.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
According to Wookiepedia:

Empire:  1 Executor, 1 Communications ship, 50 Imperial Star Destroyers, 10 Victory Star Destroyers, about 5 smaller ships, and 2900+ fighters
Rebel: 20 Calamari Cruisers, 10+ Nebulon B Frigates, numerous other classes of ship (too many to list) and 500+ fighters

Though from the actual movie, I think one could achieve the same effect with a much smaller fleet on either side.  Really when watching I only noticed maybe 3 calamari cruisers and perhaps 20 star destroyers.  Obviously this was due to the lack of models, but even still, one gets a good sense of the size of the fleets from a couple shots of the Rebel fleet entering and exiting hyperspace, and from the long shots of the battle on the death star as Luke and the Emperor watch.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Dysko

The XWA engine can't handle more than 92 ships (the max number of ships present in the same moment, AFAIK there can be much more ships entering the missions if the previous ones depart/are destroyed), and they recreated the BoE in 4 red alert-ish missions...

That way, it could be possible also with the FS engine (I think :nervous:).
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't know the status of background/skybox images right now, but wouldn't one option be to simply have an image of a larger Imperial fleet in the background?  That would allow you to make a fully manageable mission while still keeping the illusion of a larger battle.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's how XWA did it.  The effect works ok, but you can definitely tell the difference if it's done poorly.  However, if the fear is of the AI being too much, many of the ISDs were just sitting in the blockade with their thumbs up their bums.  There'd be no AI to worry about.  So if it's not too taxing to throw 30 or 40 ISDs 10 clicks from all the action, that would be much nicer than using a skybox.

Offline Agent_Koopa

Has anyone wondered exactly why the Rebel attack fleet included a medical frigate with likely next to no firepower and a weak hull?

Offline Dysko

And why the Rebels had also a lot of totally unarmed and extremely weak Gallofree transports in the attacking fleet? :doubt:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
The Medical Frigate was a modified Nebulon-B class frigate.  The one seen in the battle is most likely a proper Nebulon-B, which is actually built as a warship, though even the medical frigate, I'm sure, could probably hold its own (considering that A: why would you strip off armour from a combat hull and B: do they even have the resources to extensively modify their ships? consider that most of the rebel fleet is from various factions which threw in with them, or gifts/stolen)
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Agent_Koopa

You're right, I just looked it up. According to the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, the frigate's anti-cap weaponry was cut in half, to only six turbolasers. It is left also with only eight laser cannons for anti-fighter or anti-bomber use, about 66% of its original weaponry. It just seems to me to be a bad idea, sending your medical ship into what may turn out to be a battle when Home One has more than four times the turbolasers. What's the point in sending your medical ship, likely with wounded aboard, and holding fifteen bacta tanks and other expensive medical equipment, if you're only adding six turbolasers to the effort?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The battle was desperate - a single blaster could dictate its course for all they knew, let alone a batch of turbolasers.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Also look at the rebel fleet when they enter and exit hyperspace.  It's a ragtag fleet made up of whatever they could get, remember?  The fleet is full of not only warships, but several types of transports, hell, even look at the Millenium Falcon, it's not a combat ship, it's a freighter, but they needed every ship they could get (Plus it's fast).  Watch the scene again, and look for the various Gallofree transports, etc strewn throughout.

Remember, they're rebels, they're those guys in Afghanistan who were trying to shoot down jets with AK47s while standing on the tops of mountains while hiding in caves... They'll take anything they can get their hands on.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Except that sometimes their AK-47s are planetary ion cannons.

Offline Agent_Koopa

They're a Rebel Alliance, remember? Or, more formally, the Alliance to Restore the Republic? How desperate would the battle have been in the first place, when they didn't know it was an ambush or that the Death Star II had a working superlaser? (And you have to wonder, didn't the name "Death Star" raise a few eyebrows when the expenses were approved? (rhetorical question)) They had several cruisers and frigates. The construction of the Death Star II was, IIRC, believed by the Rebels to be top secret. They didn't expect to see half the Navy there.

I guess the GR-75 transports could be used as "fireships" an old tactic of setting a ship on fire and sailing it into the opposing fleet hoping to set fire to the enemies sails and ships... for Star Wars version consider a GR-75 intentionally jumping to lightspeed with a Star Destroyer in its path...  the mass times velocity would make for one heck of an impact!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
for Star Wars version consider a GR-75 intentionally jumping to lightspeed with a Star Destroyer in its path...  the mass times velocity would make for one heck of an impact!

I lol'd at that.  I would love to see that in a mission.