Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

How the heck do I hide or replace the lead indicator?!

(1/2) > >>

The_White_Crane:
Ideally I'd like to change the default HUD to use the lead sight a la Ace Combat, rather than the lead indicator; I just like that setup more.
But I cannot seem to find any way to hide the default lead indicator. I've tried replacing it (and it took me ages to figure out that it would only take a .ani, since as far as I can see that isn't actually documented anywhere, certainly not on the wiki page for the hud_gauges.tbl) and I can make it display my own indicator, but it still displays the default one as well!
And unfortunately, the hud toggle option for the lead indicator also toggles the lead sight, which seems like something which probably should be changed.
Does anyone know anything that might help me with this?

(What I think would be really nice to have, if I could manage it, is the lead sight for primaries, and the lead indicator for secondaries...)

Shivan Hunter:
Been a while since I've messed with hud gauges... I also see the odd behavior where it won't disable the default indicator. Try this - I replaced the default one with a blank image, and enabled both a custom lead indicator (with a blank frame 2, for primaries) and a lead sight (with a blank frame 1, for secondaries). So all of them are being rendered but most of them are invisible :lol:

0rph3u5:
Modifying HUD Gauges is a bit tricky because the table format is such a way that you cannot override the default entires via -hdg.tbm without overriding the whole thing with a .tbl of your own. Trying to modify a default gauge is likely to just add a duplicate of the same gauge.

Are you running a mod without third party dependencies?

The_White_Crane:

--- Quote from: Shivan Hunter on April 24, 2023, 02:13:31 pm ---Been a while since I've messed with hud gauges... I also see the odd behavior where it won't disable the default indicator. Try this - I replaced the default one with a blank image, and enabled both a custom lead indicator (with a blank frame 2, for primaries) and a lead sight (with a blank frame 1, for secondaries). So all of them are being rendered but most of them are invisible :lol:

--- End quote ---

No dice, I'm afraid. The default lead indicator still shows.

--- Quote from: 0rph3u5 on April 24, 2023, 03:39:41 pm ---Modifying HUD Gauges is a bit tricky because the table format is such a way that you cannot override the default entires via -hdg.tbm without overriding the whole thing with a .tbl of your own. Trying to modify a default gauge is likely to just add a duplicate of the same gauge.

Are you running a mod without third party dependencies?

--- End quote ---

I'm not quite sure how to answer your question. I've created my own hud_gauges.tbl flagged with $Load Retail Configuration: Yes so that it inherits the base game HUD, and then in that .tbl I've defined my own Lead Sight and Lead Indicator gauges. But for some reason, the custom Lead Indicator does not override the default. I'm running my mod on top of the MediaVPs by using the "-mod" command line parameter; I've tried with both the FS2 upgrade project and the FSPort MediaVPs, but the same problem occurs with both.

If I could get a copy of the base game hud_gauges.tbl I would try just overriding the whole thing and leaving most of the settings identical except the lead sight and indicator, but as far as I can see you can't actually find hud_gauges in any of the .vp files, and the documentation suggests it's implemented in the game code...

Shivan Hunter:

--- Quote from: The_White_Crane on April 25, 2023, 04:43:11 am ---No dice, I'm afraid. The default lead indicator still shows.

--- End quote ---

I'm unsure how. I've tried putting my files in FS2/data and running (through Knossos, but that shouldn't be necessary) both the MediaVPs and plain FS2, and also putting those files in my own mod folder which depends on the MediaVPs, and it all works. It also works if I put those files in FS2/data, put a FSO exe and dlls into the FS2 folder, and run it directly without Knossos. So I have no idea how it's not working on your end :confused:

(The secondary lead indicator in my mod looks just like the default one, so you might not notice right away - it's only once you see the primary lead sight that anything looks different. Also, are you sure you didn't do something like "data/data/hud"? Just checking. I've done that a few times lol)

Unfortunately I'm not sure if a default-like hud_gauges.tbl exists - I thought I had one at some point, but it's been quite a while. Maybe someone else has one.

The MediaVPs mv_root.vp does have a -hdg.tbm that may be messing with your configuration. What happens if you run only your mod without the MediaVPs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version