Author Topic: How many of these do I want!?!?  (Read 13570 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: How many of these do I want!?!?
Playing Skyrim for 120 hours is considered a lot and you've pretty much done everything you can in the game.
* AdmiralRalwood glances at Steam's recorded playtime for Skyrim: 657 hours

Yeah, 120 hours isn't really considered "a lot" for any BethSoft RPG.
You are small time, sir.
I have a friend with over 2000 hours of skyrim playtime  :p
Yes, that was the point... :/
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
'Literary value', what a delightfully pretentious thing to say, what does that even mean.
It's the amount of ways you can misinterpret a work times its length. It's good for measuring how much time a given work can sustain a literature major. Generations of them made a living off "analyzing" such classics such as "War and Peace", for which this value is highest. :) Scales linearly with length and complexity, so FS2 and Planetscape: Torment are good candidates, while more straightforward (and more enjoyable) works such as WC3 rank low.

Complexity is something that characterizes many great works of literature. But it's not a requirement for greatness. One can make a simple story that nonetheless touches very fundamental philosophical questions (though it requires incredible skill. Stanislaw Lem pulled it off beautifully in a number of his works). One can also pile up religious metaphors, obscure references and foreign words, hoping to be mistaken for something deeply philosophical. The rest is then done by interpreters of various sorts. When you analyze something for long enough, it's almost certain that you'll end up with meanings the author never intended. This is especially high for works with high literary value, as defined above. :) As such, I tend to treat "literature scientists" and their ilk with suspicion.

I think that a great story is one in which you can find hidden meanings, but don't have to. One that seamlessly combines deep philosophy with good pacing, interesting characters and enjoyable setting. Not every widely-accepted classic is a great story (though many of them are), despite being praised by high school teachers (and those who compose "required reading" lists).

Offline Lorric

'Literary value', what a delightfully pretentious thing to say, what does that even mean.
It's the amount of ways you can misinterpret a work times its length. It's good for measuring how much time a given work can sustain a literature major. Generations of them made a living off "analyzing" such classics such as "War and Peace", for which this value is highest. :) Scales linearly with length and complexity, so FS2 and Planetscape: Torment are good candidates, while more straightforward (and more enjoyable) works such as WC3 rank low.
Oh, is this for things that are open to interpretation then? Like for Freespace you could ask questions about the motives of the Shivans and the motives of Bosch, which are unclear, the kinds of things that produce large threads here vs if you asked questions about the motivations of the Kilrathi or Admiral Tolwyn, the story tells you everything you need to know.

Offline Aesaar

No, **** it.  I don't have the words to explain how mind-bogglingly stupid this statement is. I'm not going to bother.  Not my job to explain what good writing is to someone who thinks looking at more than the words on the page is "misinterpreting a work".  If the extent of your attempts at analysing fiction is high school lit course, then I really shouldn't be surprised.

Attempting to discuss this topic with you is like discussing evolution with a creationist.  I'm out.  Forget I said anything.

Offline Lorric

Well isn't that lovely. Just when I was thinking "Oh, Aesaar did pick something you can weigh and measure then."

But he can't actually be bothered to explain why or what he means. He just says WC = bad, and expects us all to believe it because he says it is so. Something is stupid because he says so but can't be bothered to actually explain why but can be bothered to throw insults around.

Offline Aesaar

I expect you to do nothing.  No, I don't expect you to think WC3 is bad because I say so.  I just know that Dragon will never agree with my reasons for why because anyone who thinks something as ****ing stupid as this:
isn't going to be convinced.

I don't know if it's willful idiocy or not. Quite honestly, I don't care.  I know when an argument is a waste of my time.

You can think whatever you like.  If you feel like claiming victory, fine, go ahead.  You win.  I crown you king of the ****pile.

Planescape torment, I bought it on gog last year, after seeing so many people mention what a great game it's supposed to be and it being on the same engine as two of my favorite other games (BG&IWD). I could not get into it at all, probably didn't played more than 2 hours (left the morgue, spend some time in the town outside) before I left it be. The combat mechanics are ****awful and the whole atmosphere was nothing but grim despair and brown grey surroundings. I didn't liked it.
Subjective opinions, ho!
I had a similar problem the first time I played.  It's a really slow start, and the "wtf do I do now" feeling is really strong at first.  That the combat is terrible really doesn't help.  Still, I encourage you to give it another go.  Find Pharod, at least.  There's a reason the game has the reputation it does.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:50:08 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
FIY, I was making a joke about how literature interpretations, especially with classical literature, tend to go so far beyond what was written that you start to wonder what did they need the book for. From the sound of it, you may be one of those guilty of this sort of interpretations. :) You can try to convince me there's merit in this sort of grasping at straws, but I've discussed it before with other people.
Not my job to explain what good writing is to someone who thinks looking at more than the words on the page is "misinterpreting a work".
You don't need to explain because I know very well what it is (or at least people who read my writing seem to think that. If you know Polish I can send over a sample). Good writing isn't merely about leaving half the things unsaid for the reader to figure out. Anyone could do that by setting out to write a trilogy and quitting after the second part. Reading between the lines is fine, but I often find it overdone. And not only on high school level (though my formal education in it stopped there, and I'm glad about that), I've interacted with actual literature majors as well. Academic analysis of literature is grossly overrated, and often prone to finding meanings that are not there (at least not according to the author). There's an anecdote about Asimov attending a lecture about one of his own books and, when it ended, telling the woman who did the lecture that it was completely wrong. Her response? "Do you think that you know what it's about just because you wrote it?". Dunno if it's true or not, but the attitude certainly is.

Some measure of reading between the lines is fine, but it's important not to go overboard with it. A well written story is not one you need to read with an encyclopedia and the author's biography on your hand. True greats can actually be enjoyed either way. Good writing is hard to describe precisely (we wouldn't have bad writers if it was possible to encompass in a forum post :) ), but it certainly does not require piling up metaphors. One can pull off a heavily metaphorical story with multiple interpretations, but it's important to keep it readable.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
dragon ur a stupid asshole, stop posting

e: poland is an irrelevant country in terms of sheer political power and other such things that defines a land's importance in this day and age

e2: wing commander is terrible, the characters are all one dimensional, the mission structure is boring and not innovative, and the overall plot is a more boring WW2 in space

e3: also the ship designs suck

e4: actually I'd go as far to say that they're some of the worst ship designs in the genre. Not only are they typically boring and unimaginative (like the rest of the game), they're also often times just outright bad, not just bland.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:07:29 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Lorric

I expect you to do nothing.  No, I don't expect you to think WC3 is bad because I say so.  I just know that Dragon will never agree with my reasons for why because anyone who thinks something as ****ing stupid as this:
isn't going to be convinced.

I don't know if it's willful idiocy or not. Quite honestly, I don't care.  I know when an argument is a waste of my time.

You can think whatever you like.  If you feel like claiming victory, fine, go ahead.  You win.  I crown you king of the ****pile.
Well, it looks like there's been some sort of misunderstanding here with Dragon.

I don't want victory. I just wish we all could get along better and be nice to each other. I don't understand where your anger comes from in the first place over something like this.

And there's another post and Hades wtf...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You might've made a misunderstanding about my joke, but I think that the real problem is that I'm questioning the very point having such course as literature at universities. :) It'd undoubtedly tick off anyone who did such a course and now produces academic papers on various works of literature, because I'm effectively be calling what he's doing useless. Well, I kind of am. :) It's not the most popular stance, but I've seen enough of literary interpretations to hold it pretty firmly. While reading is certainly not simple, IMO it isn't a skill that need a whole institute devoted to it. I also see it as a somewhat of a personal thing (though this is mostly important with poems rather than prose).

As for Hades, don't mind him. He only has one good point (I probably should be writing my stories in English, so I could sell them for money, as opposed to Polish Zlotys), and it's the only least relevant to the discussion. Funny thing that the only thing I can agree with him on is a poorly disguised ad hominem, but it really is that kind of country. :)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

This is unironically the greatest thing you've ever posted.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yes, that was the point... :/
I...I know that was the point... I was trying to make a joke.
S-sorry.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

e4: actually I'd go as far to say that they're some of the worst ship designs in the genre. Not only are they typically boring and unimaginative (like the rest of the game), they're also often times just outright bad, not just bland.

The words of a man who did not play the first two games trying to sound intelligent on a topic he does not know much about.

Seriously though I have no idea how you can say this about the non-3D games, particularly in light of some of the Kilrathi designs like the Jrathek, Krant, and Jalethi.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The words of a man trying to sound intelligent.
You give Hades too much credit  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The words of a man who did not play the first two games trying to sound intelligent on a topic he does not know much about.

Seriously though I have no idea how you can say this about the non-3D games, particularly in light of some of the Kilrathi designs like the Jrathek, Krant, and Jalethi.

i think maybe because we've been explicitly discussing wc3 and onwards he was specifically talking about them?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Aesaar didn't mention anything like that in his post that started this tangent and I rebuked that post with a mention of an event that takes place in WC2 at the very start of this conversation, well before anyone brought up 3 or 4 by name. Dragon explicitly discussed 3 as the least-inspired story while suggesting all the others as better.

The only person who's been explicitly limiting themselves to 3 and 4 in terms of this conversation seems to have been Lorric, apparently because he has no experience with the others. Hades and Aesaar both made blanket statements regarding "Chris Roberts games" and "Wing Commander games" without specifying which ones, therefore probably meaning all of them.

I don't think your assertion of limited scope holds up, Phantom. Perhaps because Hades worded his reply very poorly, but still.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

There's a concept called "The death of the author" based on a French essay from the 60s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_the_Author
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfTheAuthor

The basic idea is that the author of a work can't declare what it's about, that job falls on it's readers. There's no "right" way to interpret a work of art as every reader's personal interpretation is what's best for that specific reader. Therefore there's no way to "misinterpret" a work, as there's no "right" interpretation to deviate from.
Literary value is not just determined from on-high by literature majors and people who analyse art for a living, but there has to be something to actually interpret in order for fan theories to exist. I think pretty much everyone who played them can clearly see that there's really not much to interpret in Wing Commander games.
If your work is straightforward and only meant for enjoyment then it's not really art. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but those kinds of works really have no literary merit and no amount of snarking about literature majors and what you think of their jobs will change that. Enjoyment and literary value are not mutually exclusive though, it's not like you either have to be a dumb summer blockbuster or a super vague and serious work of art no normal human can actually sit through(like 2001:A space odyssey).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Calm down people.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

"Literally value" has little real value for me.
I understand why some like it that much.
It gives ones ability to project himself into the work.
Also it gives literary majors material, but hey, you can really analyze everything if you really want to.

I read a long eassay once on why Super Mario has a anti-capitalist message...

When you analyze something for long enough, it's almost certain that you'll end up with meanings the author never intended.

Indeed.

I think that a great story is one in which you can find hidden meanings, but don't have to.

I personally don't care about hidden meanings.
As long as the story impacts me on a emotional level or entertains me, I'll consider it better than all the literally acclaimed titles in the world
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png