Author Topic: REQUEST: Someone who can do a decent impression of Admiral Petrarch  (Read 10880 times)

Re: REQUEST: Someone who can do a decent impression of Admiral Petrarch
I can do it. I've got a great voice, and i can imitate almost anyone.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I can do it. I've got a great voice, and i can imitate almost anyone.
Great!  Post an audition here.

Offline AlexG

Goob, I know this is a bump, but did you ever make a decision or are you still looking for people? I am considering making an attempt. I can do deep, but I am not sure about the gravely-ness. BUT if you have it cast already, or don't need it any longer... well, then there's no point, is there?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Still looking for people.  I haven't found anyone close enough yet.

Offline AlexG

And, so long as it sounds good (ie can't really tell), do you mind if we digitally alter our voices to match what you need?

EDIT: Well, just went ahead and did it without waiting for your answer. There are 6 files here. Petrarch1, 2, and 3 are how I originally recorded them. Petrarch1altered, 2altered, and 3altered have had a full bass bost to emphasize the deepness and the gravelyness, and their pitch has been reduced to be 40% of one tone lower than normal to make the voice a little deeper. There are not cleaned for background noise or anything, because this is very rough. Tell me what you think!

Linky: http://files.filefront.com/PetrarchAuditionzip/;6875803;;/fileinfo.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:35:47 pm by AlexG »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Nope. :)

Offline AlexG

Nope what? Nope you don't mind, or nope the samples won't work? (I edited my last post and put a link in it, in case you didn't see)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh.  Nope, I don't mind.  That is, what I want is the voice; it doesn't matter whether you do processing or not.

Also, I didn't see your link.  I'll download and give those a listen.

Offline AlexG

Cool! *gets all excited, waiting to hear*

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow, that's pretty good.  Better than anything I've heard yet. :)

It's still not gravelly enough, though, and it sounds like you didn't do too much processing on it.  Could you try to fiddle around with it some more?

Offline AlexG

I can swing my voice towards either gravely or deep, but not both at the same time, really. Not that I have a high voice most of the time anyway, but it's not as deep as his needs to be. I am concerned about having to deepen the pitch too much so that it sounds really off-speed, but I'll give it a try. Expect more linkage within 30 minutes.

Offline AlexG

OK, now I think it's too deep. I emphasised the gravel so much that now the tone is off. Still, think it can work? Maybe a really cleaver sound designer could get us some actual 'noise' to put in the background to create the gravel illusion.
http://files.filefront.com/petrarchtry2ogg/;6883195;;/fileinfo.html

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It's occurred to me that, if Robert Loggia didn't have such a distinctively awesome voice, trying to get somewhere close to him would be far easier.  Then again, if he didn't, I'm guessing that no one would want to attempt to in the first place. :p

Offline AlexG

I'd say that's a safe assumption, yes :P. It's really hard to get the gravalyness unless you sound like you just have a cold. And when I DO get it right, it's really deep, but doesn't sound a thing like him. It is a no-win situation. Grr.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's really hard to get the gravalyness unless you sound like you just have a cold.
You know, one of the possibilities I was thinking of was waiting until I had a cold, or something like bronchitis, and then trying to record myself.  But I haven't gotten sick in ages.  If anyone here does, I welcome your auditions. :lol:

And when I DO get it right, it's really deep, but doesn't sound a thing like him. It is a no-win situation. Grr.
Au contraire.  I think the gravellyness is the key.  Have a listen to this, which is your second sample run through a pitch filter and bass boost in Audacity:

[attachment deleted by admin]

The classic solution is to yell until you get hoarse, then drink a lot of whiskey and smoke a lot of cigarettes. Or just have someone punch you in the throat.  :lol:

Offline AlexG

Hm. I guess I just didn't have the pitch settings right before. Still isn't quite him and his accent, but... do you want me? If you give me the settings you used in Audacity then I can get all the closer and you won't have to doctor them. Anyway, whatever you want is fine by me. I'm ready whenever, but if you want to keep the auditions open that's ok as well. Starting on Thursday, however, my roomies will be going away for Spring Break, so I'll have the whole place to myself and won't have to feel embarrassed about REALLY acting and raising my voice. So if I have your answer by then... all the better for the voice acting. As it is I am still a little whispery because I do not want my roomies knocking on the door asking, "High treason? What's a Vasudan Alliance?" :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That sample that Goober posted turned out really, really well.  Alex, if you can get a bit more of the high-end in Loggia's voice in there, I think you'll be closer than anyone else has a chance of getting. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hm. I guess I just didn't have the pitch settings right before. Still isn't quite him and his accent, but... do you want me? If you give me the settings you used in Audacity then I can get all the closer and you won't have to doctor them. Anyway, whatever you want is fine by me. I'm ready whenever, but if you want to keep the auditions open that's ok as well. Starting on Thursday, however, my roomies will be going away for Spring Break, so I'll have the whole place to myself and won't have to feel embarrassed about REALLY acting and raising my voice. So if I have your answer by then... all the better for the voice acting. As it is I am still a little whispery because I do not want my roomies knocking on the door asking, "High treason? What's a Vasudan Alliance?" :)
:lol:

Yes, go for it.  I think we have a really close approximation right now.  The closer, the better, of course; but this is already really good. :)

I think the effects I used were to lower the pitch by 1 semitone, then boost the bass by 8 at frequency 400.  But feel free to fiddle with these as well. :)

Offline AlexG

Cool! Well, then, there's just one more thing I'll need. Send script when ready :)