Author Topic: A Blue Planet Art Challenge!  (Read 5425 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: A Blue Planet Art Challenge!
One nitpick: It's "FA 2308", not "FG 2308"
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
One nitpick: It's "FA 2308", not "FG 2308"
Ah, I see now. I had grabbed the nameplate from the "empty" template, which has "FG 2308". Easy enough to fix in future work.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't know if this was posted publically already, but just for future reference, here's the scheme used for ship registry numbers:

Each ship has a registry nnumber made up of two components: Category designation and hull number. Categories are as follows:

PB - Patrol boat
CA - Cruiser
FG - Frigate/General Purpose
FA - Frigate/Assault
FX - Frigate/Experimental
DD - Destroyer
DX - Destroyer/Experimental

Hull numbers are four-digit numbers. They follow the following rules:
1 - First digit is fleet number
2 - Second digit is class-dependant. PBs get a 0, CAs a 1, FGs a 2, and FAs a 3. FX ships use a 2 or 3, depending on role.
3 - Two-digit number assigned according to placement within the Fleet. This can change over the course of a ship's lifetime, as reassignments may happen.

DDs, due to their status as fleet flagships, use their fleet number as their hull number.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Wait what qualifies as DX? Sanctuary?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll leave you to your own conclusions.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!

2) I'm not sure how to address her skirt near the bottom of the frame.

I can't speak for the BP team, but I actually quite like the idea here Beer (definitely give some shading if possible, even if it means handing over to a second person; shading adds so much to any pic IMO, but as you say this is just proof of concept). I was going to mention for 2) I've sometimes felt gradient 'fade-outs' as opposed to solid lines in situations like that (where something is going out of shot) looks nicer, and would be easily added with a layer, but then again that might just be me so go when you get your official response (from BP dudes) go with them.

But yeah, a decent job I vote :yes:. Same for Sara and Shivan Hunter; well chosen pics. Definitely prefer original to posterised version in case of SHs but then again pic will likely be over the top of hull texture and under light so I can't be sure of final look.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:34:11 pm by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I recon an experimental destroyer that rips through subspace with quantum pulses and materializes shivan reinforcements where needed. Plus, it houses the best coffee making machines.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
T-man: thx! It was very low-effort since I was working on class stuff at the time, I might revisit it especially if I get ideas for any other nameplates.

also yeah I screwed up the FG on that one ship, didn't see the "FA" in the OP.

hmm! It's my guess that it's a temporary designation, possibly when the capabilities of a ship are still being field tested, so it used to apply to the Karuna and (more recently) Narayana. May apply to Byrne's secret project if it involves a new ship.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's my guess that it's a temporary designation, possibly when the capabilities of a ship are still being field tested, so it used to apply to the Karuna and (more recently) Narayana.
You think the Karuna and Narayana used to be classified as experimental destroyers? :P

While it is possible that the DX designation could apply to something of Byrne's, I think swashmebuckle hit the most likely usage; the Sanctuary probably counts as an experimental destroyer.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
There's an FX designation as well :P

And the Sanctuary is definitely something that doesn't really fit into the usual UEF fleet doctrine (hell, I don't know how capable in the Sol theater it even is; they were living off scraps and salvage, while the UEF has been actively developing using the resources and infrastructure in Sol), but I don't think that would give it the "experimental" designation unless they're retrofitting it and re-testing its effectiveness. Which they could very well be, I suppose.

Does the UEF use any old Orion-class destroyers in fleets? What are their designations?

Does the UEF use any old Orion-class destroyers in fleets? What are their designations?
Nope, that question has been asked before and the answer was no.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I would expect that whatever the DX ship is, it isn't just an effort to build a more powerful combatant. It would be pretty out of character for this story if the UEF rolled out a kickass supercap just before the big battle. I want something that can warp between dimensions at will or house an advanced ETAK/Nagari thing or be a meson suicide fireship or a supernova trigger that pulls down the Vishnans' underpants. I'm guessing it's the Lucifer and it can do all of those things, but only if Laporte blows up the one she loves.

Or maybe it's just the Carthage, and the experiment is "will it blend?"

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
In a secret base in Sol
     Admiral Byrne
        Muragan
       And then...

Offline Axem

In a secret base,
DX waits for the battle,
Suddenly, chaos.

~Haiku by Axem

I presumed the Toutatis accounted for DX what with its XBOX HUEG mass drivers etc. but maybe there's something more to it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Since it is kind of an open question, I should probably pipe up.

I am willing to let some other, more capable artist perform shading on my initial Hesperia emblem. Were I more talented/experienced, I'd do it myself, but I've learned to recognize my limitations.

Anybody who wants to take a crack at shading my version of the Hesperia emblem, get my attention somehow. I can pass along the original working .psd file for the Prospective Artist's use.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Adding my bit to the thread:

I used the golden apple as the art for Hesperia. I had the Yangtze and the Indus be the basis for my inspiration (I really wanted the apple to be a white outline, but then the meaning would have gotten lost.)

I'm looking forward to seeing better attempts at the nameplate arts by others like Iron Beer and Sara. I'm not very happy with mine, but I'm hoping it's a decent start.