Hosted Projects - FS2 Required > Blue Planet

Beams vs Railguns

(1/10) > >>

azile0:
Since this is obviously a hot subject, I made a topic for it.

Will the UE's Railguns beat the GTVA's Beams? Let's break down the facts and Physics.

Beams:
             They have Nasty AAA, as well as Slashes and Those beastly LGreens/LVas that pierce the hull. This can vaporise crew in the beam's line of fire. Problem is that they are slow, and, unless you use a LGreen/LVas, you only get a small area damage. Of course, that doesn't matter in FS2 where you hit. You could Subach the tip of a wing, and the whole ship will go KABOOM eventually.. Anyway,

Rail Guns
              Slower, as they are projectiles, but have a large area damage from the explosion. They can fire rapidly, and can thus cover more area. Less of a potential for AAA, as I am seeing more of 'Upgraded Flak' cannons to swat away bombs. Also can be a longer range, provided you aim it right.

So, Beams and Rails are looking pretty even.

blowfish:
:wtf:

What are you talking about?  If you are trying to bring real world stuff into this, 1) You aren't doing it correctly, since railguns don't really have any impact explosion (IIRC), and 2) Beams have no logical explanation.  In the context of a Freespace mod, all that matters is how it is balanced, which can be changed easily.

Aardwolf:
1. Railguns would have an impact explosion ... sort of. Just like if you shoot a pistol at some soft sand. The sand will fly away from the point of impact.

B. Similarly, real lasers (pulse lasers, stream lasers are nowhere near as effective) would produce a shockwave on impact, which is what would actually cause the damage. Stream lasers don't produce as much of a shockwave per amount of energy expended.

4. I agree with most of the rest of what blowfish said.

Akalabeth Angel:

--- Quote from: blowfish on September 01, 2008, 02:12:38 am ---:wtf:

What are you talking about?  If you are trying to bring real world stuff into this, 1) You aren't doing it correctly, since railguns don't really have any impact explosion (IIRC), and 2) Beams have no logical explanation.  In the context of a Freespace mod, all that matters is how it is balanced, which can be changed easily.

--- End quote ---

Though it doesn't apply in the context of BP, it should be noted that at a certain impact velocity, explosives become irrelevant.  Because the kinetic force of an impact will be equal in destructive power.

WMCoolmon:
I suspect antimatter might mix things up a bit. As it often does...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version