Author Topic: Yay for Sweeping Changes  (Read 28188 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Yay for Sweeping Changes
Mr Rogers was never on Australian TV as far as I know, bud I did find this on the cracked article. Spoon, this one's for you buddy.

http://youtu.be/yXEuEUQIP3Q?t=5m34s
What a wimp.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

how can you say that
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
With a keyboard. How else ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I had this idea while I was in sauna, so it's not very far thought idea but it's an idea nonetheless.

Does HLP really need totalitarian administration ruling the community? As HLP is uniquely community driven by the community itself and for the benefit of the very same community, wouldn't it make more sense if the community itself was in position to elect who are most qualified to be administrators? If anything, only the founders of HLP would have the final word for whatever happens here, but they are both long gone. Which ultimately leaves responsibility of the community's well being to none other than the community itself.

How about we have administrator elections to elect two administrators who we feel are the best qualified to represent the community as a whole and look after interests of the community. These elected administrators will then in turn select their own cabinet of talented people to fulfill very specific roles for which their own skill set is not enough.

This would address my previous concern of admins not having any accountability to the community they are supposed to serve, as well as give them a reason to actually do their job and do it well.

uuuurgh, no, electing admins introduces a ton of bureaucratic overhead that would crush a small community like this. much better to make sure you have admins who will keep the quality of discussion high without pissing everyone off
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You forgot that administrator has a ton of other duties besides playing a moderator. Or at least should have. As is evidenced by current state, most of these duties have been neglected for years. Admins as it stands, have no accountability and thus they have zero need to actually do their jobs properly.

Offline Lorric

Hello.

Having read the latest posts, I still basically agree with the current rules, and things which I would have argued about once they have been brought up are going to be fixed (thread of shame, not being PM silenced under a tempban)

But I have a suggestion for the Hammer. The current argument is the Hammer is to show a united front from the mods vs the hammer is, for want of a better word, cowardly.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Perhaps when the Hammer falls, the account could list all the mods/admins that were involved with making the decision, and detail what the decision was made for. I do believe the exact reasons should be made public so that not only does the infringer see what they've done, but everyone else does too, so that they also can learn from it. And listing the involved parties means the mods/admins can't be accused of hiding behind the Hammer, because they're right there, they get to be united, and if the person punished wants to appeal, they know who made the call.

On the rules also, we seem to have a "better to have short rules than long rules" thing, but I don't see why we can't have both. They aren't hard and fast rules, just guidelines. So why not list out a long list? It's not as if they need to be rigid in nature, that's already been stated. Information is power, in this case for both mods and admins, and the posters. If the argument is that people don't want to read all that and want it kept simple, just put the kind of short guideline set desired at the top of the post and leave the long set intact underneath.

People are going to complain when they don't like something. But I wonder how many people like or are fine with what we have and simply haven't spoken? I'm the only person I believe who has simply expressed approval.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Perhaps when the Hammer falls, the account could list all the mods/admins that were involved with making the decision, and detail what the decision was made for. I do believe the exact reasons should be made public so that not only does the infringer see what they've done, but everyone else does too, so that they also can learn from it. And listing the involved parties means the mods/admins can't be accused of hiding behind the Hammer, because they're right there, they get to be united, and if the person punished wants to appeal, they know who made the call.
Isn't that exactly the point of the Thread of Shame.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Lorric

Isn't that exactly the point of the Thread of Shame.

I would say that it needs to be in the thread it happened, so all the people who were involved can see it. A lot of people probably won't ever look at the thread of shame.

The thread of shame allows users to learn, and also see that people they want dealt with are being dealt with. Also, I once had a problem with Karajorma once when he banned two people, and just said bans had been handed out and I couldn't see what for, as all he said was bans had been handed out. It's the one MP-Ryan has complained about earlier in the thread. The thread os shame would eliminate this, as then I and anyone else could just go in there, although what I said earlier about usage of the Hammer would mean I wouldn't even have to go to the thread of shame.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
how can you say that
  :drevil:

Does HLP really need totalitarian administration ruling the community? As HLP is uniquely community driven by the community itself and for the benefit of the very same community, wouldn't it make more sense if the community itself was in position to elect who are most qualified to be administrators? If anything, only the founders of HLP would have the final word for whatever happens here, but they are both long gone. Which ultimately leaves responsibility of the community's well being to none other than the community itself.

You forgot that administrator has a ton of other duties besides playing a moderator. Or at least should have. As is evidenced by current state, most of these duties have been neglected for years. Admins as it stands, have no accountability and thus they have zero need to actually do their jobs properly.
While I don't know about elections there is some truth here.
To repeat what I said earlier, why is that we only see Axem do things like newsletters? There's no activity from the staff when it comes to things outside of moderating. (excluding Zacam who's been hard at work keeping the bots away and the site up, but since that sort of happens behind the scenes it can be hard to see.)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This would address my previous concern of admins not having any accountability to the community they are supposed to serve, as well as give them a reason to actually do their job and do it well.

So... The rules don't bother me that much since I'm not generally a trouble-maker, and I'm not all 100% against what was posted. That said, I think Fury captures my point best with all the references to sekret committees doing the work of single moderators. Committees take time and more transparency is better than less. The emphasis on secrecy in the New Rules did not set up, in my mind, a glowing trust of the moderation team. It started to do the latter... for moderators I have generally respected.

On that note, and on the note of the quoted. I will say that I pretty much rely on Zacam to be the accountability. He's proven to be the most impartial, most willing to listen, and most willing to discuss the matters with whomever. (In this case, the community.) I'd love more of that from the admins.. but there are few who fit that role.

I do hesitate to compare admin to admin.. because I don't have problems with any of them generally. I've just seen Zacam go above and beyond more times than once and I think he's a good example for the other admins to strive towards. If moderation happened as he does it, there would be no need to hide behind secrecy and The Hammer. Sometimes I don't agree with his decisions, but he's respectfully acknowledged that I have a differing opinion and we move on. On the topic of my original post... I think this is how moderation needs to be handled with Hosted Project mods. Very different from the 'We are taking over main moderation train, project mods get to follow us on the tracks, but they have to follow us how we tell them to.'
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:54:12 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
My read of this thread is that "the community" (amorphous as that term really is) seems to want the impossible. On the one hand, we have people saying "No rules, just tell people don't be a dick! And then moderate and ban the people who are dicks. It's so simple!" And yet, on the other, we have people screaming at us about decisions we've made and I know - not suspect, not think, not expect - I know that that would be made 10 times worse if we were making decisions outside of the framework of a series of rules.

In short, you're angry at us for making decisions based on our best judgement, and encouraging us to change the system so that we rely solely on our best judgement.

What it seems to me that everyone really wants is to have a system wherein we make decisions based on your view of how the forum ought to be run - and we can't do that for each and every one of the couple of hundred plus active members that we have. Like I said, as a group, you seem to want the impossible.

One thousand times this.

I don't think so.

What I'm asking for, generally, is less moderation, and aimed at the problem children who are doing the egregiously-obnoxious things that annoy everyone.

Do I care if a thread gets derailed by substantive discussion (e.g. the '*****' discussion)?  No.  Do I care if it gets derailed by meme images?  Yes.  Do I care if someone acts like an asshole generally?  No.  Do I can if they use racist/homophobic language?  A thousand times yes.  You know what irks me most?  Thread closure, instead of shutting down the children causing problems in it.  Seriously, for every time a thread has been locked, it usually could have been resolved with 2-3 temp bans of a single-day duration to the problem kids, and let everyone else carry on.

Define a few - few, mind, a short list is all - of things that will instantly get you temp-banned.  File the rest under a "good behaviour" guideline.  Quit worrying about active moderation of good behaviour unless there is either (1) a report from a user, or (2) a consistent pattern of disruption, flaming, etc.

I've been a member of a lot of online communities.  The best ones have either extremely lax moderation, and only of the truly worst offenders and posters, or extremely tight moderation.  For HLP's size, I suggest the former is better.  You'd be surprised at how well a community can self-moderate with articulate regular membership.  The tone has to be set, though.  We actually have precedent for this too... look how obnoxious FlamingCobra/Mamba/Reptile-of-the-day was when he first appeared.  Can anyone actually show him being a problem recently?  That wasn't the result of harsh moderation, that was the result of the articulate forum membership basically hammering him in a social context.  I hope/suspect/pray that we may eventually manage the same thing with Lorric, rather than going the High Max / Liberator direction... at least, I hope so.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but lengthy guidelines are an exceptionally bad idea.  I think the current version is way too prescriptive and simply going to cause further problems in the long run.  Fury and Zacam seem to be touching well on what I'm getting at.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:54:55 am by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
On that note, and on the note of the quoted. I will say that I pretty much rely on Zacam to be the accountability. He's proven to be the most impartial, most willing to listen, and most willing to discuss the matters with whomever. (In this case, the community.) I'd love more of that from the admins.. but there are few who fit that role.

I do hesitate to compare admin to admin.. because I don't have problems with any of them generally. I've just seen Zacam go above and beyond more times than once and I think he's a good example for the other admins to strive towards. If moderation happened as he does it, there would be no need to hide behind secrecy and The Hammer. Sometimes I don't agree with his decisions, but he's respectfully acknowledged that I have a differing opinion and we move on. On the topic of my original post... I think this is how moderation needs to be handled with Hosted Project mods. Very different from the 'We are taking over main moderation train, project mods get to follow us on the tracks, but they have to follow us how we tell them to.'
+1 on this
Urutorahappī!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm happy to go with a shorter list. But I reserve the right to say "I told you so" if it doesn't work and we get drama from people who aren't newbies. :p

So... The rules don't bother me that much since I'm not generally a trouble-maker, and I'm not all 100% against what was posted. That said, I think Fury captures my point best with all the references to sekret committees doing the work of single moderators. Committees take time and more transparency is better than less.

This point seems to be causing issues so it's better to clarify things.

The point about actions not being unilateral does not mean that actions will be taken by polling all the moderators. It means that a moderator won't act without getting a second opinion. Most of the time there are at least a couple of mods online or within calling distance if a report is made. Having a moderator run his opinion past a couple of other people is not the same as having a committee decide everything and acts as a check and balance.

I don't see how that is somehow less transparent than a single admin simply banning someone and saying "X is banned for his actions on this thread" which is often the way of things. And I further don't see why all the transparency people are asking for can't appear on the Thread of Shame. It's not exactly hard to stick a link on the original thread and then have something like

"User X was given a 3 day ban for his actions on this thread. Personal attacks aimed at other users is unacceptable."
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Do I care if a thread gets derailed by substantive discussion (e.g. the '*****' discussion)?  No.  Do I care if it gets derailed by meme images?  Yes.  Do I care if someone acts like an asshole generally?  No.  Do I can if they use racist/homophobic language?  A thousand times yes.  You know what irks me most?  Thread closure, instead of shutting down the children causing problems in it.  Seriously, for every time a thread has been locked, it usually could have been resolved with 2-3 temp bans of a single-day duration to the problem kids, and let everyone else carry on.

It seems like this'd lead to situations where when a discussion turns septic, whoever's on the side the mods disagree with get banned, regardless of who was actually being an asshole.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not to mention most of the kids would simply ragequit HLP and the moderators would get the blame for it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And that is why moderators actively involved in a given thread should not be moderating it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And that is why moderators actively involved in a given thread should not be moderating it.

I assume you're replying to PhantomHoover. Cause that wouldn't help with the problem I mentioned.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed. Should have inserted quotes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What it seems to me that everyone really wants is to have a system wherein we make decisions based on your view of how the forum ought to be run - and we can't do that for each and every one of the couple of hundred plus active members that we have. Like I said, as a group, you seem to want the impossible.

One thousand times this.

God, what an incredibly depressing thing to read. After all this discussion, all these clear, coherent statements pointing in the same direction, this is what you've taken away?

Although MP-Ryan has already provided a really good response, let me try one more time to deal with the misapprehensions that seem to be driving things in circles.

"Temp ban after one offence, Permanant ban after another".

Your entire argument seems to be based on the notion that we are going to be working like this. Don't work like this. Nobody has asked for it. SA doesn't work like this. I doubt PA does either. Use the tools available. Give non-cumulative probations for small offenses. As MP-Ryan said, take smaller, proactive measures to keep threads working well. If people are problems in GenDisc, ban them from GenDisc instead of the whole forums.

You're right, essentially - everything we do is discussion. But the problems people are worried about are primarily emerging as a result of discussions unrelated to modding, but the kind of heavy handed approach being advocated would see people banned from the entire forum, and like it or not, not being able to be part of HLP will inevitably decrease people's desire and ability to mod for FS. Which is exactly what we don't want to do.

The degree of self-paralysis here is baffling. MP-Ryan has already explained why this doesn't have to happen.

I'm just going to quote his points because they represent what's been asked for across this whole discussion. Please let me know if you genuinely believe these are impossible:

What I'm asking for, generally, is less moderation, and aimed at the problem children who are doing the egregiously-obnoxious things that annoy everyone.

Lorric is still posting in GenDisc.

Probations work. Garden the discussion so the good stuff remains, don't just close it all down.

Define a few - few, mind, a short list is all - of things that will instantly get you temp-banned.  File the rest under a "good behaviour" guideline.  Quit worrying about active moderation of good behaviour unless there is either (1) a report from a user, or (2) a consistent pattern of disruption, flaming, etc.

You want good members, not just good posts. If a usually substantive and polite member's having a bad day, you don't need to come down on them like a ton of bricks. Communicate. If people ragequit HLP because they've received a week off from GenDisc, they're not here for the right reasons,

The notion that what's been asked here is somehow impossible is really the first piece of evidence I've seen that actual improvement may be impossible. The consensus has been so overwhelming. And yet a lot of the difficulty seems to come down to this:

In short, you're angry at us for making decisions based on our best judgement, and encouraging us to change the system so that we rely solely on our best judgement.

I hesitate to say it, but the problem may simply be that these judgments haven't always been very good. There's been action where no action seemed necessary, and total inaction where action was clearly overdue. What may help with this is:

Act sooner when a problem occurs, but with a softer hand. This allows a feedback cycle to develop, and it becomes clear whether escalation is appropriate.

Stop thinking of moderation as a system of locks and bans. Take less absolutist, more gradated action. A faceless warning without any room for dialogue is never as good as a warning with a PM.

Recognize that the forums have two distinct sectors which are going to require different approaches. GenDisc and Gaming Disc are very different from the rest and you can always make it clear that standards of substance and conduct are higher there.