Author Topic: Yay for Sweeping Changes  (Read 28188 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Yay for Sweeping Changes
Karajorma apologizes by saying that it wasn't entirely Spoon's fault...
Spoon insults Karajorma repeatedly until he gets an apology...

What am I reading here.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm not even saying the majority was Spoon's fault. But he really needs to understand that some of it was. We've been telling him to report issues for years.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Spoon: You guys have some of the blame!
Kara: You have some of the blame too!
Spoon: Yeah, but you do too!
Kara: Likewise!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't know why both sides just can't say "You know what, you're right. We could have handled it better. We apologize for our part of the blame."
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

Gotta love Kara's weird denial of a non-non-partial-apology. This looks like one of those things that will drag for years...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The ironic part is 'who is to blame' and 'who should apologise for what' are completely irrelevant to the case at hand. It started out as a measured review of the new policies and some good ideas/views/suggestions. Seems to have turned into a pissing match because people love to chew over cud for years in this place.

If the system as it is now worked, they wouldn't be changing it, people have made it clear it doesn't work as it stands. If there's constructive and forthright discussion on going forwards from there, this thread could be a gold mine, but it won't.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I really don't know why both sides just can't say "You know what, you're right. We could have handled it better. We apologize for our part of the blame."
What exactly do I need to apologize for? For HLP's staff poor moderating? Battuta's posts describe the situation pretty well.
I'm more then a little bit miffed at how instead of it getting properly acknowledged with a proper apology I get this ****ty ass blame game thrown at me.
The focus of Karajorma's posts have been "The part Spoon might be to blame for" instead of the "The part where HLP's staff has failed and will strive to do better". This whole change in the rules was about improving HLP moderating was it not? Acknowledging that things can be improved?
What I want out of the HLP staff right now is acknowledgment and a proper bloody apology. Then if there is still a need for that we can talk about what I could have done better (but as I already said, I already learned plenty of lessons out of the past few years.)

Karajorma apologizes by saying that it wasn't entirely Spoon's fault...
Spoon insults Karajorma repeatedly until he gets an apology...

What am I reading here.
A one line sentence that isn't even a proper apology in a series of posts that is otherwise just about playing the blame game. I'm the one who feels insulted the most here.
That's what you are reading here.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The ironic part is 'who is to blame' and 'who should apologise for what' are completely irrelevant to the case at hand. It started out as a measured review of the new policies and some good ideas/views/suggestions. Seems to have turned into a pissing match because people love to chew over cud for years in this place.

If the system as it is now worked, they wouldn't be changing it, people have made it clear it doesn't work as it stands. If there's constructive and forthright discussion on going forwards from there, this thread could be a gold mine, but it won't.

Indeed.

What exactly do I need to apologize for? For HLP's staff poor moderating? Battuta's posts describe the situation pretty well.
I'm more then a little bit miffed at how instead of it getting properly acknowledged with a proper apology I get this ****ty ass blame game thrown at me.
The focus of Karajorma's posts have been "The part Spoon might be to blame for" instead of the "The part where HLP's staff has failed and will strive to do better". This whole change in the rules was about improving HLP moderating was it not? Acknowledging that things can be improved?
What I want out of the HLP staff right now is acknowledgment and a proper bloody apology. Then if there is still a need for that we can talk about what I could have done better (but as I already said, I already learned plenty of lessons out of the past few years.)

Well, I will say that I agree that Karajorma, as an Admin, should be setting the example up front instead of continuing to play the blame game... If the mods and admins want a better HLP, one of the first steps has got to be to let go of pride, suck it up, and be the type of poster they want to see on the forums. If I didn't know any better.. what I'm getting from this back and forth is that it's perfectly fine to just keep going back and forth. If that's what Karajorma wants to convey, then, hell.. have at it! But I suspect that's not the kind of thing they are striving for with these changes.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

There's been plenty of forthright and constructive discussion. This kind of relentless pessimism is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Not about going forwards though, everyone is waiting for everyone else to apologize for the past like some kind of miniscule U.N General meeting.

I personally think if the Admin team didn't think it was unfortunate that it happened, or want things to improve, they wouldn't be throwing this set of rules out there and getting input. I think if Spoon didn't think it was unfortunate that it happened, or want things to improve, he wouldn't be in here arguing so adamantly. I think that is the best either is going to get from the other for now and it should rest at that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There has been a lot of substantive discussion about going forwards. Maybe not about the issue of Spoon vs. HLP Administration, but certainly about the rules and about the forum in general.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Which is what the first paragraph of my post had stated, it started out constructive, but is being eaten up by this whole apology thing.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

If it's really not clear enough from what I've said before, yeah, the admins ****ed up repeatedly when it came to way WoD's forums were handled. I'll freely admit it. The only reason I haven't asked for Spoon to be banned for his repeated personal attacks on this thread (and in fact spoke out against it when others wanted to) is precisely because I want him around so that we can resolve the issue. If I wanted to continue the problem, I'd have asked for him to be banned or simply recused myself and let the subsequent banning make things worse. But I'm not interested in that at all.
 I've also tried to go into the reasons behind why the problems on WoD happened several times cause I feel that it is an issue that will happen again otherwise but it appears that I need to spell it out first that I do feel we ****ed up before anyone will listen to why it happened and try to do something about it. So fine.

We ****ed up. There are a number of things the HLP admins and myself personally could have done better when it came to dealing with Wings of Dawn (and several other issues down the years). Moderating on a board like HLP isn't easy as unlike the Penny Arcade boards or Something Awful. There is a lot more potential fallout from banning people or driving them away. An admin has to maintain a balance between coming down hard on people like High Max who are an unredeemable disruptive influence on the board and coming down too hard on people like Free Terran or Cobra who despite a terrible start ended up being reasonable board members. On Penny Arcade or Something Awful I suspect they simply don't care.

I've never felt that the mess on the WoD forum was entirely the fault of the admins and moderators but if in some way made Spoon's job harder, I'm happy to apologise to him for it. I honestly don't care if he apologises for his part. I just want to make sure that this mess doesn't happen again.

Offline Lorric

Hello Karajorma and Spoon.

If I may, I’d like to try and resolve this unpleasant and clearly longstanding conflict between the two of you. Although Karajorma’s final post, which wasn’t there when I started, may help to resolve this conflict without me.

If you don’t want my help, then I’ll get out of your way, but please listen to what I have to say and keep in mind I am only trying to help if my arrival has offended you in any way.

I was not here when this happened. I know this for sure as the first months of my time on HLP were spent exclusively on the WoD board. So while this means I do not know the details, it does mean I can be neutral. I like both of you, so I will not be bias. And because I like both of you, I don’t like to see you hurting each other, and am motivated to help you.

Purely from looking at the posts flying back and forth, which I have just read through now, this is what I see. If I have represented either of your feelings wrong, I apologise, I am only trying to help, and it is likely I won’t get everything right, and may even make a complete mess of this. Here’s how I see it:

Spoon is very hurt. He feels that he was left isolated by the HLP staff and no one cared about his corner of HLP as he was left to contend with some serious issues on his board over a protracted period of time alone. And he feels boxed in when he does say anything, that he is told he should have said something by way of report button about these issues. And also, he has had only or nearly only negative experiences when mods and admins have come into his board. And now he is further distressed about being stripped of his local mod powers. So his feelings are hurt, and he is resentful and wary of at least some of the HLP staff, particularly Karajorma who he feels had the biggest hand in this. He is desperate for an apology from Karajorma, who he feels won’t apologise out of pride. Spoon also has issues with the way HLP is run.

Karajorma feels that he and the staff are trying to make amends for the mistakes of the past. He also feels that it’s unfair for all the blame to be placed on him and the admins when it seems they were oblivious to what was going on in the WoD forum. I think he may also feel that it was best to leave Spoon to it as Spoon as I have clearly seen, values his independence in the way he runs his board. He (Karajorma) seems willing to try and make amends, but is also wary of committing. He also seems to think it’s unfair that Spoon is trying to pin everything on him when he’s not the only staff member who was involved in this. Spoon’s insults sting as well.

I also get a strong feeling that both want the other to make the first move, the first real gesture at reconciliation. I think both are afraid to make the first move, that they won’t get what they want in return, that even perhaps the other person will simply use it as a stick to beat them over the head with and declare a kind of victory. I do feel though that reconciliation is possible.

I think Karajorma wants to put this behind him and move forward, and would even like Spoon to join him in moving forward. But Spoon needs this apology. Yes, needs. He’s not being petty, he doesn’t rather complain about the past than engage with the admins, the past is the reason why he can’t do it. He needs this resolution. I think that perhaps without it, and with his issues with staff in the past, he simply won’t be able to have enough faith to be able to do this. And also feels that if he does try to join the “process” as Karajorma puts it, it will be like him saying he’s okay with what happened in the past, giving Karajorma and the staff a free ride, and that is unacceptable to him. He needs the conflict resolved in order to move forward. Spoon seems to like aspects of the new rules, but doesn’t have faith that they’ll be carried out, though hopes to be proved wrong. That’s something.

Also something I think is the fact you are both creators of your own mods. I’m sure you could help each other and thus get along better through this common interest.

These are the two most hopeful posts from each individual I have:

SPOON: “Now I really ****ing hope I'm going to be proven wrong on that translation and that things will actually get resolved good and proper through communication and PM's but I have no faith in that left.”

SPOON: “I'd give it any kind of benefit of a doubt if the staff would admit they ****ed up and would apologize for it. Promise to try to do better in the future and not **** me over for their mistakes.”

KARAJORMA: “I'm not even saying the majority was Spoon's fault. But he really needs to understand that some of it was. We've been telling him to report issues for years.”

KARAJORMA: “If it's really not clear enough from what I've said before, yeah, the admins ****ed up repeatedly when it came to way WoD's forums were handled. I'll freely admit it. The only reason I haven't asked for Spoon to be banned for his repeated personal attacks on this thread (and in fact spoke out against it when others wanted to) is precisely because I want him around so that we can resolve the issue.”

“We ****ed up. There are a number of things the HLP admins and myself personally could have done better when it came to dealing with Wings of Dawn (and several other issues down the years).”

I have a possible solution. Changes can be made to what I am about to write, but I am going to draw up a kind of contract for you both to sign to resolve the conflict. I also expect you’ll both be wary of signing it first, so the solution to that is for both of you to PM me with that, and then if I get both of you to agree, I’ll drop the two PMs into the thread. Unless you want to just sign the contract in the thread. This is the fairest thing I can think of to resolve all issues:

I, Karajorma, am sorry that you Spoon were left to deal with the problems you had to deal with in isolation, and that the WoD board was largely ignored by the staff. I’m also sorry that you have had such bad experiences with the HLP staff and feel so hurt. I am sorry that you have felt like no one cares and the blame is being placed solely at your door. I genuinely want to make sure these mistakes never happen again and erase the bad feelings between us and am trying to implement changes to ensure this is the case. I want you to join me in this endeavour, your input would be most welcome. We can work towards this together. Just because the forum moderators are being removed doesn’t mean your say isn’t welcome.

I, Spoon, realise that I could have done more to help myself with the situation by using the report function, and thus that it is not all the fault of the admins, that what they don’t know about they can’t fix. I will use the function in future. I am sorry for singling you out so much when you’re not the only staff member. I am also sorry for calling you a jerk/dumbass, etc. I would also now like to move forward with you and work with you to ensure these mistakes never happen again and also for the betterment of the community of HLP as a whole.

We both figuratively shake each other’s hand and pledge to move forward.

Signed

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh my god. The irony slays me.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Good thing someone prodded me about this post cause I would not have read it otherwise.

but it appears that I need to spell it out first that I do feel we ****ed up before anyone will listen to why it happened and try to do something about it. So fine.
Uhm yeah, you are dealing with humans here. Humans have these funny things called emotions.

I'll freely admit it. The only reason I haven't asked for Spoon to be banned for his repeated personal attacks on this thread (and in fact spoke out against it when others wanted to) is precisely because I want him around so that we can resolve the issue. If I wanted to continue the problem, I'd have asked for him to be banned or simply recused myself and let the subsequent banning make things worse. But I'm not interested in that at all.
It's concerning that apparantly the first thing some mods want to do is hit the BAN BAN BAN button. It shows that they clearly aren't reading what is going on or even give a **** if it gets resolved or not. Yeah I'm being super rude in this thread. So what? Not wanting to deal with someone who is angry over something you had a part in and just hitting the ban is the coward's way out.
So it's a good thing you realized that. Now I hope the rest of you mods also realize that.

As for the rest of your post, Thank you.
I don't think it had to take as long as it did but I'll take it.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah I'm being super rude in this thread. So what?

As I pointed out before, if you're being super rude, why I should I make any attempt to engage with you? Especially when we're making an effort to solve the issues you're complaining about. Especially when I've pointed out that your hostility was actually one of the main reasons I've not bothered with your forum in the past. You're not the only one who has emotions.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I really really want to make it clear that the neglect of the Wings of Dawn forum predated any bad blood between Spoon and the administration, at least as far as I know. The issues in there with DarthWang, Lorric, and other posters who pretty much killed the forum stretch back quite a while, and I know Spoon would've appreciated help keeping them under control.

Unless there's some other hostility I don't know about.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Oh hai, what's this subforum?

I actually read all of this thread just now, after reading the forum guidelines last night.  There were three changes in particular that irked me:

Any attempts to belittle other forum members for not agreeing with you will be treated in much the same way as a direct personal attack. Yes, you may find it annoying if someone is posting an argument that shows that they don't understand the topic under discussion as well as you do, but it's worth remembering that since you probably aren't a world renowned expert in the subject, there could be someone as annoyed at you. If someone is ignorant, it is your job to enlighten them, not make fun of their ignorance.

For the purposes of the discussion that follows, I'm terming this "the tightrope."

HLP is not your soapbox. That isn't to say we can't have political discussions on HLP, just that you shouldn't drag an existing topic around to your particular pet peeve/hot button issue. Especially if that involves talking about something completely off-topic. Discussion of wider topics than the original post is fine if it happens organically, but if a topic mentions religion in passing, that doesn't mean it should become a full scale atheist rant about the evils of religion. If it mentions sexism a bit, it shouldn't become a discussion women's (or men's) rights. If someone mentions US politics, that isn't a reason to make it a discussion of US fiscal policy and the evils of the democrat party/republicans.

Likewise, "the morph"

Do not backseat moderate. HLP has an established set of moderation staff. If we wanted your opinion on which threads need to be closed, who needs to be banned, etc, we'd have asked you to join it already. We don't want to see mob rule here, so we don't want to see forum users arguing that threads should be locked or people punished for certain posts.

Finally, "the disapproving look."

---

I'm a member of a few forums, one that has existed since 1998.  It is not moderated.  At all.  People can, and do, post whatever they like.  The moderation takes the form of community approval - there are respected forum members, there are less-respected members, and there were douchebags.  The latter category is inevitably driven out.  We have never banned anymore.  It is an exceedingly small community, and it does have rules - there are subfolders, there are certain things that you cannot post, and there are people who are able to ban spam accounts and edit threads and so all sorts of "moderation," but the forum is not explicitly moderated.  It has led to some absolutely epic flamewars over the years, but things inevitably cool down and return to status quo.  And like I said - an active poster (not spam account) has never been banned.

I'm not advocating that approach to HLP.  This place is too big and too diverse for that, but I think it's important to bear in mind.

I share the concern that the new guidelines are too prescriptive.  As a number of you know I actually work in law enforcement, and by far the worst pieces of legislation I deal with are prescriptive.  The best are the ones that are short and simply state what is absolutely not allowed, while all other behaviour is subject to social approval.

The tightrope, above, is one that a number of the more active (and I suggest, more valuable) people walk in in the Off-Topic area almost daily.  It's tied to the disapproving look too.  Some of the most effective moderation I've seen in my couple-decades of Internet use and BB/IRC/forum use in particular uses this - and I'm not saying to be nasty, but there is a lot of benefit in allowing forum users to self-moderate based on social rules.  Official moderation really should only be used as a last resort, in my view.  It's far better for someone to receive an explanation of why their behaviour is bad, be the subject of social ridicule for that behaviour, and hopefully correct it based on the experience of being smacked by the general membership than be scolded by a single moderator.  Formal moderation should be used as an option of last resort, where a temp-ban (or, for egregious idiots, a permaban) is more appropriate.  HLP does this to an extent already, and moderators like The E, Mongoose, and karajorma have tended to warn people off with consequences implied publicly, which often corrects the behaviour (and for the worst offenders, they've been subsequently banned anyway).  I really don't like the prescriptive nature of the tightrope and the disapproving look -killing guidelines above - and not just because they could land me in hot water.

The morph concerns me for a different reason.  A number of the most interesting and valuable GD discussions come out when a thread on one topic morphs into another.  While I understand that we don't want soapboxes, I'm concerned that this guideline impedes natural drift.  I have a personal vested interest in this one too, because I often precipitate some natural drift.

What I'd like to see is the tack that I've taken in other online communities and server moderation, which is essentially the following:

Rule 1:  Don't be a douchebag.
Rule 2:  See rule 1.
Rule 3:  For the particularly obtuse, the definition of douchebag includes, but is not limited to, the following:  racist language, homophobic language, attacks on a person's character (as opposed to post behaviour or content), linking or posting of illegal content, linking or posting to explicit content, spam, stream-of-consciousness/blog posting, or other consistently-obnoxious behaviour.

That's it.  Violate Rule 3, which explicitly says the not-allowed things, and the result should be a temp-ban for a week, followed by a perma-ban for a second offense.  That stuff is easy.  Violate Rule 1, the more general-catch-all, and you start with a warning, then a temp-ban, then a perma-ban, depending on the nature, frequency, and severity of the behaviour.  This allows you to ban the High Max / Liberator types on the forums quite quickly, and still reign in your more valuable posters who occasionally step out of line.  And furthermore - all warnings, temp-bans, and perma-bans and their reasons should be public.  That doesn't mean up for debate, that means public - bad behaviour should become deterrence.

Trying to write a massive rulebook on guidelines is an unforgiving, thankless exercise that will not only bite the moderation team in the ass, it'll bite some of the more intelligent-but-exasperated posters in the ass too.

One final complaint:  Having been the subject of a recent temp ban, I can attest to the frustration of NOT BEING ABLE TO PM THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE.  This is a problem.  I creatively managed to use the report feature, but for Pete's sake, that's brutal (especially as it has a character limit).  You need a proper appeals function/section, especially if you persist with the new prescriptive guidelines.

That's all.  I cannot emphasize enough how bad the idea of a prescriptive (and LONG!) rule-set is.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:58:41 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
One final complaint:  Having been the subject of a recent temp ban, I can attest to the frustration of NOT BEING ABLE TO PM THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE.  This is a problem.  I creatively managed to use the report feature, but for Pete's sake, that's brutal (especially as it has a character limit).
y u no IRC
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

using the (barely advertised) irc channel as the venue administrative complaints is a horrible idea on more levels than i care to think of
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.