Author Topic: Rethinking Posts  (Read 15798 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Nothing should be appearing wonky right now. If it's wonky, force-refresh.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Oh hey, it's gone. Wonder why that happened?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Your browser was caching old CSS files. I just implemented something that should prevent that from ever happening again. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i haven't read all 3 pages yet so i don't know if this has been addressed, but please GOD don't put the expanding signatures back.  i like the way it is as of this posting (faded header/sigs).  maybe a little less fade would be better though.  i think the old signature boxes, just not expanding would be fine too.  i think that the headers/signatures probably don't really need to contrast all that much with the post body, just be clearly separated.  the signature box, bolder lines, more spacing, etc. 

having said that though, another forum i'm on just uses different colored text by default and a simple dashed line for the signature to great effect.  it's on a less busy white/light blue theme though so that may not translate well.

also, curious as to why the buttons changed color except for the reply button.  it looks fine, just wondering if it was intentional or not.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:33:15 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
also, curious as to why the buttons changed color except for the reply button.  it looks fine, just wondering if it was intentional or not.

Screenshot or it didn't happen... :p

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
i haven't read all 3 pages yet so i don't know if this has been addressed, but please GOD don't put the expanding signatures back.  i like the way it is as of this posting (faded header/sigs).  maybe a little less fade would be better though.  i think the old signature boxes, just not expanding would be fine too.  i think that the headers/signatures probably don't really need to contrast all that much with the post body, just be clearly separated.  the signature box, bolder lines, more spacing, etc. 
Sandwich, my sig is too thick :(
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I kinda got used to the fixed height signatures. Now they're all just too huge so I turned them off. Personally I'm not opposed to having them as long as they're not bigger than what they were before.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

Screenshot or it didn't happen... :p

well it's nothing to get excited about, just the other ones are grey now. 

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Without the resizing boxes, digs like Sambo's are pretty massive in mobile view, significantly bigger (and therefore more prominent) than the post in most cases, greyness notwithstanding.

Length limit or something?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Please limit size of those embedded videos, they are obscenely huge.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

You must have been caching a really old CSS file - those buttons have been that color (red Reply, gray everything else) for many, many months.

Without the resizing boxes, digs like Sambo's are pretty massive in mobile view, significantly bigger (and therefore more prominent) than the post in most cases, greyness notwithstanding.

Length limit or something?

Yeah, that's the predicament... limit sig length (which doesn't prevent someone from filling that allotment up with linebreaks...) and anger people, limit sig height and cut off people's sigs, or limit height and provide a way to expand to a sufficient height. Not sure which way is best.

Please limit size of those embedded videos, they are obscenely huge.

Well, the videos are fluid-width, adapting to the forum width in the browser. I typically view the forum in a limited-width mode; I'm guessing you're in the classic "full-width" mode? I can imagine videos getting a bit oversize like that. Hmm. I'll see what I can do.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, embedded media (YouTube and Vimeo videos, and P3D thingys) are limited in width now for those of you with the forums in full-width mode. I arbitrarily chose a max-width of 960px; if you have any reason for anything different, lemme know. :)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I put in my vote for limiting sig length on the user side.  Users who have sigs over <x> length (not in characters) will be politely asked to shorten it.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

You must have been caching a really old CSS file - those buttons have been that color (red Reply, gray everything else) for many, many months.

i might be just going crazy, but i could swear they were all red before...

as for video size, why not just leave them original size?  what's the default youtube plays in the little windows, 480?  no sense in stretching things and making them look fuzzy.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
YouTube videos automatically adapt their quality to the window size, so there actually is a point. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ah, just a note, when you get to it, the reply window needs (unless you don't want) icons for yt vimeo and 3d model links (that's how I learned a bit of BBCode without having to bother asking people).

Also, for sigs, how about a faded double arrow pointing downwards at the end of a short, fixed length sig that will expand only when clicked?  Make the double arrow button clickable area the same width as the post, and have it unobtrusively highlight itself on mouseover.

Basically, thin clickable rectangle the width of the posts, of a slightly lighter color than the current HLP background color, that becomes visible when mouseover, with only the small grey double arrow being visible when not in mouseover (perhaps have the double arrow change to black in mouseover to stand out more against the clickable rectangle).

.... does that suggestion make any sense or am I not being clear enough?

Ah, just a note, when you get to it, the reply window needs (unless you don't want) icons for yt vimeo and 3d model links (that's how I learned a bit of BBCode without having to bother asking people).

Also, for sigs, how about a faded double arrow pointing downwards at the end of a short, fixed length sig that will expand only when clicked?  Make the double arrow button clickable area the same width as the post, and have it unobtrusively highlight itself on mouseover.

Basically, thin clickable rectangle the width of the posts, of a slightly lighter color than the current HLP background color, that becomes visible when mouseover, with only the small grey double arrow being visible when not in mouseover (perhaps have the double arrow change to black in mouseover to stand out more against the clickable rectangle).

.... does that suggestion make any sense or am I not being clear enough?
Video embedding buttons and expand-on-click sigs - both good suggestions IMHO

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I agree. BBCode buttons for YouTube, Vimeo, and P3D added. Now to work on the sigs.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, how's the signature toggle thing look now? I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. :)

Offline Arpit

I don't know what others think but I find this expand and collapse pretty convenient.  :cool: