Author Topic: Rethinking Posts  (Read 15802 times)

or would it be better (if possible) to limit the number of lines the sig can use?

If we can do this, I'd throw in with revealing the whole sig.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As would I.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Say, how about Twitter embedding? Easy or hard? Worth the effort?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Mmmm and why would we need tweeter feeds for here?
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please no. Allowing social embeds is a slippery slope.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Before anyone says so, I'm just gonna say no 4chan for ****sakes!
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Not feeds, not even a "tweet this" button. I should have been more specific: just a way to post a tweet like you would with a youtube video using twitter's own embed code, which looks like this:
Code: [Select]
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ah, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23LosAngeles&amp;src=hash">#LosAngeles</a>. Man, I hate cities. <a href="http://t.co/Cnd40HWs74">pic.twitter.com/Cnd40HWs74</a></p>&mdash; Stephen Bernal (@ScourgeOfAges) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScourgeOfAges/statuses/354346276457959424">July 8, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just a thought, and it's definitely not as useful as youtube or p3d. It's a slippery slope indeed, I'll leave it in better hands than mine.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
It's nice that images within img tags are scaled to screen, but why is it that you can't click on the image to open it in original size? Thankfully Chrome has option to open an image in new tab when you right-click on one.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, that's another of the advantages of the lvlshot tag that I forgot to mention before.

Offline Luis Dias

Mmmm and why would we need tweeter feeds for here?

Would be quite useful in gendisc threads actually.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please no... Twitter embeds? Srsly? I think everyone in GenDisc is perfectly capable of copy/pasting 160 characters with a link if needed. Clean forum is clean. It should stay that way.

Offline Lorric

Hey. I'm just dropping a quick thank you for the work that was done here. Well done, Sandwich. Loving the Youtube embeds :)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
on youtube embeds:  personally i think they are a little large.  they are set at 960 now right?  if i were doing it i'd use 720 so it would play native 720p.  i don't think it makes sense to scale up to a size youtube doesn't output in.

also, it would probably be easier if we could just use the whole URL instead of the video id.  everyone does it wrong the first time, and it's more effort to extract just that part than just copy the address bar anyway.
I like to stare at the sun.

also, it would probably be easier if we could just use the whole URL instead of the video id.  everyone does it wrong the first time, and it's more effort to extract just that part than just copy the address bar anyway.

Also, is there any way to specify a start-time in embedded videos? I tried what I thought would work, but it didn't.
[yt]g5wFS6Gnkk4&t=1m21s[/yt]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Not going to happen.  First, it's not that big of a deal to copy just the video ID.  More importantly, creating a feature which allows the user to embed an arbitrary URL in a forum post is just asking for a security breach or a phishing attempt.

Also, is there any way to specify a start-time in embedded videos? I tried what I thought would work, but it didn't.

That should be possible, yes.  Ask Sandwich to modify the bbcode to allow a time offset as an optional extra parameter.

EDIT: Optional parameter, not arbitrary.  I blame lack of sleep.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:56:48 am by Goober5000 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Not going to happen.  First, it's not that big of a deal to copy just the video ID.  More importantly, creating a feature which allows the user to embed an arbitrary URL in a forum post is just asking for a security breach or a phishing attempt.

Wait, what?  Does that mean that the contents of [url ] [/url ] tags are sanitised somehow?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm not sure exactly how [url] is handled and I don't have time right now to check.  But remember that putting a YouTube video in a post is embedding the video, whereas posting a [url] tag is merely linking to the video.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
or would it be better (if possible) to limit the number of lines the sig can use?

Number of lines is a completely subjective perception, based on whether you have the forum at full or fixed width, how wide your browser window is, etc. So no, I can't do that, Dave. ;)

The problem is I don't have much leeway in parsing these BBCode tags. Also, security reasons. :nod:

This just in!

[yt time=###]{VIDEO_ID}[/yt]
The 'time' parameter is optional of course, but when specified, it must be digits only, representing the number of seconds from the start of the video. You can find this out easily by right-clicking on a video and selecting "Copy video URL at current time", pasting what it copied somewhere, then looking at the value for 't=###' at the end of the copied string.

Or, you know, just calculate the seconds from the minutes and seconds in the player. :p

Say, how about Twitter embedding? Easy or hard? Worth the effort?

Should be possible, but I personally don't see a need for it. However I am willing to let the majority rule in this case, so if you want to create a poll thread about it, go for it.

It's nice that images within img tags are scaled to screen, but why is it that you can't click on the image to open it in original size? Thankfully Chrome has option to open an image in new tab when you right-click on one.

Yeah, thanks for bringing this up. I've been meaning to implement something to address this, but forgot.

There's a technical restriction, though. I can't simply add a link only to scaled-down images. I can do it globally, to all images, but it might be a bit unexpected if someone posts an image that isn't large enough to be scaled down, and you click on it and it shows the same image at the same size. Not sure if that's undesirable or unexpected.

Regarding implementation, one method (let's call it option A) would be to implement a "lightbox" type popup. Another (B) would be a simple link that opens the image directly in a new tab, without any fanfare. A third (C), which might be most confusing considering the technical limitation I mentioned above, would be to prevent images from being scaled down at all if they have browser focus (i.e. if they've been clicked on). Once you click elsewhere, the image would return to being scaled-down as necessary.

Personally, considering the purposes people post images around here (showing off latest models, renders, screenshots, etc), and considering the growing use of mobile browsing, I think that option B would be best. It would allow each user's browser to handle the large image natively (good for mobile), and would not restrict things to the entire browser window like option A's lightboxes tend to do (they're best used for small thumbnails).

Wait, what?  Does that mean that the contents of [url ] [/url ] tags are sanitised somehow?

Both [url]...[/url] and [url=...]...[/url] tags have basic sanitization and validation, including adding http:// to the beginning if it's missing, stripping out certain strings and chars, etc. Also, what Goob said about merely linking vs. embedding. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
EDIT: inserted quote because of Sensei Sandwich-ninja

.. in other words, it's bringing the contents of the link to the HLP page, and is loaded without any other user intervention than just loading the HLP page that has the embedded video.  Versus, url links have to be clicked and load another page, leaving the content outside of HLP.

I guess they are afraid of someone figuring out how to trick the forum software into embedding something other than a youtube video.

Bah.. ninja'd
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:05:00 am by jr2 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
*snip*
Bah.. ninja'd

Always quote. Always. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill