Author Topic: SH Gargant?  (Read 138631 times)

Offline starlord

Yes, and what better way to destroy it unconventionnally à la descent? It might be a good plot devellopment.

Anyway, it HAS to be destroyed: Humans can't lose  :lol:

That ship must have a weakness because everybody has a weakness, I mean what for pandora it was the box thing, for the trojans they got on the wrong horse, for the deathstar it was a design fault... It can be destroyed.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
You were watching Hercules earlier werent you?
and i totally agree...I mean for all we know the shivans have a weakness for putting Big red buttons (labled "Self Destruct" that do exactly what is stated on the tin) on all their ships....Spaceballs anyone?
---
What that coming out of Subspace?
Shivans?!
Oh, S**t! There goes the planet
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline starlord

Good: you know your classics. The guys voicing hades is a genius. :lol:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
At least in my own humble opinion, any ship as absurdly massive and ridiculously overpowered as the Gargant can only be used as some sort of plot device.  It really becomes a prop instead of a standard ship.  Its destruction (if it was even intended to be destroyed) could only come about by some external circumstance or force acting upon it.  Essentially, it's a Death Star; the only reason its destruction could possibly occur would be if the plot required it.
That's the whole point, same with the Gigas.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Or lack of a plot if used in a Deus Ex Machina/Just Another Day type campaign

Gargant: Where are you going?
Alpha 1: I am Leaving. You are about to explode.
(Gargant explodes)

Cookie to anyone who guesses what show that is from
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
At least in my own humble opinion, any ship as absurdly massive and ridiculously overpowered as the Gargant can only be used as some sort of plot device.  It really becomes a prop instead of a standard ship.  Its destruction (if it was even intended to be destroyed) could only come about by some external circumstance or force acting upon it.  Essentially, it's a Death Star; the only reason its destruction could possibly occur would be if the plot required it.
That's the whole point, same with the Gigas.

No, the Gigas can be destroyed by the Icanus.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Or lack of a plot if used in a Deus Ex Machina/Just Another Day type campaign

Gargant: Where are you going?
Alpha 1: I am Leaving. You are about to explode.
(Gargant explodes)

Cookie to anyone who guesses what show that is from

Stargate SG-1
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No, the Gigas can be destroyed by the Icanus.
Just because it can be destroyed by another ship doesn't mean it's not a plot device, and not a proper ship designed to combat the player. Even with Apocalypse warheads, you can't destroy the Gigas... Unless you have a lot of time and patience.

The Sathanas, Lucifer and Colossus are all plot events: You aren't expected to be able to kill them conventionally in a mission. Same with the Gigas, Icanus and Gargant.

Offline starlord

Technically, the death stars weren't killed conventionnally.

I think "twists" like those are needed to deal with those uber ships, but that doesn't mean alpha 1 can't make the difference.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Even a destroyer is a plot device when you fly a fighter. Look at how many destroyers continuously escape in custom campaigns and almost become "characters".

The Iceni is a canon example of not-so-big ship used as plot device.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Iceni is a canon example of not-so-big ship used as plot device.
Yeah, but it can be used as a normal ship. The Gargant, Gigas and Icanus can't really.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
They can be used as normal ships, the point is that they need reasonable environments.
The Lightblue Ribbon

And foes matched to their own level. That's why Icanus vs Gigas works... the two are relatively close in power (no other ship can even scratch them, and neither of them approach the sheer indestructibility of the Gargant), and a creative campaign writer can think of scenarios where either one emerges victorious.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
They can be used as normal ships, the point is that they need reasonable environments.
Yeah, like if you give the player a Notus... :lol:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
A Notus with nothing more than Helios torpedoes? Weaponry has its influence.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline starlord

any portable meson bombs? ;7

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Subspace jump Meson bombs INTO INSIDE the Gargant. That way you'd leave just a floating exterior armour.

Offline starlord

No, get the fighter wreaking havok INSIDE the gargant. this'll be good!! :lol:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
A Notus with nothing more than Helios torpedoes? Weaponry has its influence.
I didn't say that. :rolleyes:

Subspace jump Meson bombs INTO INSIDE the Gargant. That way you'd leave just a floating exterior armour.
I have to say that doing that isn't possible, or else we would have done that on the Sathanas and Lucifer.

any portable meson bombs? ;7
There's the Armageddon (called the Apocalypse now) which is a black hole maker, and there's the Executioner in INFR1 which was a meson bomb... Not sure what it's replacement is called though.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I have to say that doing that isn't possible, or else we would have done that on the Sathanas and Lucifer.

That's because our current Meson bombs weren't portable, and had to be tacticaly deployed. I'm pretty sure noone would have sent a freighter full of people on such a truely-suicide mission, which results in a very horrible and painfull death. In Inferno, all you need is to add some engines to the bomb holder :P