Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 621888 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: What are you playing right now?
I've recently been playing various indie adventure and other games from GoG and Humble Bundle:

Retrovirus: Excellent 6DOF game with a Tron-like story and art style. It's slower paced than the Descent games, but I would highly recommend it. Needs a powerful video card though, as its graphics engine is very poorly optimized.
Machinarium: Great steampunk artwork and atmosphere. Not much of an actual story though and the puzzles are often artifically hard and annoying due to the interface.
Primordia: Easily the best modern (although retro-style) adventure game I've seen, with a very interesting story and great writing. There are several endings, but it's a bit too short given how much potential this setting and universe had.
Resonance: Another modern, classic-style adventure game with 4 player characters. Good story with an unexpected twist, but the dialogue is a bit lacking.

the worst, clunkiest keyboard/mouse input >> control pad.  that said, i'm getting REALLY tired of modern PC games not supporting extra mouse buttons.  how much effort could it POSSIBLY take to get that right?  3rd party programs are irritating, time consuming to set up and switch around, and kludgey.

I just use the mouse drivers (Logitech) to map all the buttons to regular keys, and make that a profile for all games. I play a lot of old games and am used to them not recognizing the buttons.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yes, Retrovirus was very fun, though it's definitely in need of some updates: poor optimization aside, even some of the achievements are flat-out broken.  And unfortunately there isn't really anything in the way of a multiplayer or modding scene, even though the devs released a level editor.  They did provide some updates soon after the game launched, but I haven't seen any news from them in a while.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, I could never find any multiplayer games running. Maybe we can coordinate one on HLP. The game seems pretty obscure in general. It's hard to find much information or discussion on it, and the developer's forums are basically dead.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Finished Dead Space, on to 2 I suppose.  Didn't really work as a horror game to me.  Never felt any level of scare/creepiness.  Not sure why, it's not like it was a bad attempt.  Maybe I was too distracted by the tedious combat and movement.  Never really did anything wrong.  Also, called the plot twists from the beginning.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
What platform you play on?

I'm level 40-something.  I yell at police and make them my *****es.

PC since my friend got me it on there
"No"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
trying to get through dead space 2.  but the insane difficulty spikes of hordes of fast, nearly unkillable (and in at least one case so far, ACTUALLY unkillable) enemies that must be fought with a slow character using slow weapons that must be aimed precisely with extremely limited ammo, along with the horribly numerous insta-fail occurrances are REALLY making it hard to not quit for good. 

Offline Lorric

Play the game. Don't let the game play you. :yes:

If you're not enjoying the game, but want to see what comes next, consider letting someone else do the work for you and watch a let's play. :nod:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
sometimes you just need to say "I played That"
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Wolfenstein: The New Order. Interesting so far.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

trying to get through dead space 2.  but the insane difficulty spikes of hordes of fast, nearly unkillable (and in at least one case so far, ACTUALLY unkillable) enemies that must be fought with a slow character using slow weapons that must be aimed precisely with extremely limited ammo, along with the horribly numerous insta-fail occurrances are REALLY making it hard to not quit for good.

Ah, yes, those unkillable Necromorphs. So much fun. /s

But if you're fighting the unkillable one in 2, that means you're pretty much at the very end of the game.

I just finished a playthrough of Copy Kitty Turbo Edition. This game is a lot more fun than it has any right to be. And playing as Savant is an interesting experience.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

The hardest difficulty was my first playthrough. Hardcore, the three save only one, being my second (which I might add, no deaths, single sitting playthrough from start to finish)

I loved that game. Multiplayer was also ridiculously fun

Remember a very important thing though. Stasis recharges and has an area of effect. You don't actually have to hit people directly, just nearby. Aim where they're going to be
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Downloading GoatSim, because GoatSiiiiimmmmm.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
DL'ing the release version of Divinity: Original Sin ....

Meanwhile scratching my Star Wars-itch brought upon by the Release of the FFG's new X-Wing Minatures with the Empire at War-expansion in Galactic Conquest-mode; That is some ****ty balance right there - Consotrium-AI keeps breaking my economy and speed-teched to capital ships :|
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
finished dead space 2.  i guess it was worth playing.  glad i got it on sale though.  i'll probably replay it with all the extras i didn't know i got and disabled.  i suspect it will be better on the next playthrough with better equipment. 

Just use the plasma cutter alone.

There is no need for any other weapon.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Meanwhile scratching my Star Wars-itch brought upon by the Release of the FFG's new X-Wing Minatures with the Empire at War-expansion in Galactic Conquest-mode; That is some ****ty balance right there - Consotrium-AI keeps breaking my economy and speed-teched to capital ships :|

There's a mod call Thrawn's Revenge (or Imperial Civil War) that I highly recommend for Empire At War's expansion; it's considerably better.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I am shortly about to take a break from Skyrim - I am nowhere near done, my god, so much questing, so many dragons, so much to see and do, but I confess its starting to get tedious and I want to enjoy the Dragonborn DLC - and try out Dishonored.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat - Someone tell me to stop playing the game with a Stormcrow. (The Timber Wolf's kinda over-rated/used, I don't have the nuts to pilot the Nova properly, and the Rifleman is a Mech I am very comfortable with. But dear god, I should use the RFL for those STUPID Falcon missions...)

Jane's Longbow Gold: going through the historical missions, I've been making some decent progress on Just Cause, but Desert Storm is kicking me in the nuts (I have no clue how I got through "Darkover," which was the Normandy flight mission).

Wrapped out of the box from my Steam purchases: Age of Empires II, Civilization V, and X-COM: Enemy Unknown.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Briefly gotten back into KSP, but my frustrations with making a rover that doesn't break with the slightest bump will likely mean it will be a short spell unless I find something else to do.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

There's a mod call Thrawn's Revenge (or Imperial Civil War) that I highly recommend for Empire At War's expansion; it's considerably better.

Thanks, I'll give it a try...
Kinda got frustrated yesterday when out of the blue the Consortium AI blew up my Death Star (the Rebels at least have to win a space battle to do that); well at least I destroyed most of the Constorium holdings with my "Technological Terror"
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."