Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 614000 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: What are you playing right now?
I've heard some people say that fiddling with FOV settings helps ease motion sickness, so that might be worth a try.  (I've never really experienced it with games, Source or otherwise, so I can't say if it works personally.)

Been so bored lately, nothing like playing Unreal Tournament 3...with tons (128+) of bots. :D Much better now. I really play the game too little.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Kolgena

I've heard some people say that fiddling with FOV settings helps ease motion sickness, so that might be worth a try.  (I've never really experienced it with games, Source or otherwise, so I can't say if it works personally.)

Thanks for the tip, but I've definitely tried this. It doesn't help for me.

It's very strange. I can't play CS:S or HL2 at all, since I'm puking about 45 minutes in. L4D2 is much better, and I can go a an hour or two before getting dizzy. CS:GO uses a newer engine, and I can play that for hours with no symptoms. However, Portal and Portal 2 cause problems and are somewhat worse than L4D2 but way better than HL2. No other FPSes give me motion sickness. (Frostbyte, cryengine, Unreal, etc)

I've heard good things about Watch Dogs, but also that it's nigh unplayable on PCs with AMD components. Anybody have experience with it so far?

Offline FIZ

WD pretty cool.  Servers are suffering some though from initial rush (XBone version).  Mobile app is nice component  :D

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Just got through replaying Descent 3 + Mercenary.

It was okay, I suppose.

I remember not even finishing Mercenary because I was getting thoroughly bored by then. Descent 3's multiplayer, however, was absolutely fantastic in its heyday. All of those weapons that were only marginally useful in single player became a brilliant toolbox for multi.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

It was okay, I suppose.

I remember not even finishing Mercenary because I was getting thoroughly bored by then. Descent 3's multiplayer, however, was absolutely fantastic in its heyday. All of those weapons that were only marginally useful in single player became a brilliant toolbox for multi.

I'm sorry, did someone say Impact Mortar? :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

It was okay, I suppose.

If someone managed to find a use for the EMD Gun, I'd love to hear it. That thing was the biggest piece of crap in all the weapons.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If someone managed to find a use for the EMD Gun, I'd love to hear it. That thing was the biggest piece of crap in all the weapons.
Isn't it the only primary weapon with homing capabilities?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Unless you count Omega, but the D3 version of that was practically a melee weapon.

Right.

On the other hand, it's pathetically weak and the only enemies that its homing would actually be useful against are fast enough to dodge it regardless. For that reason, the homing capabilities fail to make up for its low damage and high energy consumption. In other words: Piece. Of. Crap.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i don't even remember that weapon TBH.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Right.

On the other hand, it's pathetically weak and the only enemies that its homing would actually be useful against are fast enough to dodge it regardless. For that reason, the homing capabilities fail to make up for its low damage and high energy consumption. In other words: Piece. Of. Crap.
* AdmiralRalwood remembers getting a half-dozen kills with the EMD Gun the last time he played Descent 3 multiplayer at a LAN party.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I believe the EMD was nerfed by one of the game's patches, which substantially lessened its usefulness.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It makes a really cool firing sound.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Getting near the end of Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun. I started it about a year ago, but I had just beaten Tiberian Dawn twice in a row and was getting sick of RTS's, so I quit a couple missions in. Just for fun I'm playing the GDI and Nod campaigns simultaneously.

Kane's really something, isn't he? Somehow he's acted so well that when playing as Nod I actually WANT to impress him.  :lol:
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I know, right?  I felt the same way playing Tiberium Wars and the Kane's Wrath expansion.  Hmm, I might have to play through those again.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i thought he got a little hammy in 3/kane's wrath.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Playing an unhealthy amount of Ace Combat Infinity.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
i thought he got a little hammy in 3/kane's wrath.

True, but I didn't notice at first with Michael Ironside's and Billy Dee Williams' over the top performances.  :)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.