Author Topic: :jaw: KEN (supar spoilers... maybe)  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: :jaw: KEN (supar spoilers... maybe)
The Wiki is Sirius, and don't call it Shirley.
:yes:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

The citizens in the UEF have achieved a degree of enlightenment that makes the GTVA citizens seems like dumb, barbarous monkeys in comparison. The ideals they stand for are fully achievable as is demonstrated by their own society, and they are now fighting to defend that.

Have they?  What are the Fedayeen for, then?  If the UEF is so enlightened and so awesome to live in, what's the black ops group for?  What are Durgas and Vajradharas and massive antimatter stockpiles for?  Why did the pacifist Elders allow the Solaris-class to be built and armed so extensively?  None of these things are needed for police action.

I wouldn't go so far as to say mind control, but I'm convinced there's a dark side to the UEF we haven't seen yet.

Actually, there are some valid arguments for the Solaris project beyond a 'dark side'. For starters, the threat of a future Shivan attack is real; nodes form all the time, and even if a semi-stable node is a rarity, the possibility is nonetheless there, and Vasuda Prime set a chilling example for the consequences of being unprepared.

As for anti-police action: still quite useful. Massive carriers are really helpful in that regard, as you can sortie dozens of wings all over the place and service your fighter complement all in the same place. They also make for geopolitical stabilizers--they're too expensive to churn out in any kind of subtle or ambiguous way; any faction that tries to make a second one immediately becomes very suspicious from a number of angles. And a Solaris is such a powerful strategic force compared to bog-standard Karunas and Narayanas that it makes smaller arms races less significant. It's also a nice psychological aegis--if a big threat were to show up, the Solaris-class destroyers would be a surefire answer.

The technology, science, and experience gains for producing the class is also noteworthy--the lessons learned in so many areas would be valuable.

Could the money be better spent under the circumstances? Sure, you could easily argue that. But it wasn't wasteful even before AoA.

And, of course, that doesn't mean that there wasn't some more discrete or sinister motivations behind it all--just that there are valid reasons for doing it even within the context of official Ubuntu policy.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline -Norbert-

Besides, the whole parliament (or whatever they have) must have made a majority vote in favour of the Solaris' being build. I know theoretically such a decision could be made in a ministry alone, but with such a big project, someone's bound to drag it into the parliament (at least in my country it's always like that. Small decisions are made by the defense ministry, but as soon as a big decision is going on, one political party or the other drags it up the juristiction line and tries to get public opinion plusses with it).

While the Elders might have a great deal of influence, they have no actual juristiction over government matters as far as I understand the UEF political system and wether massive battleships are build/bought or not does sound like something only the government(s) can decide.

Offline Luis Dias

The Solaris is next-to-nothing economically speaking inside an economy the size of Sol, with the amount of peaceful time they've had so far, when compared with the amount of military spending of the outer human systems, plus the huge investment on the sol jump gate.

Sol is a sleeping giant. GTVA wants to "awaken it".

Offline -Norbert-

It might be nothing compared to the whole economy of Sol, but that's not where the politicians would look.
They would have compared the cost (both for building and running) of the new design with the cost of those already in service. And compared to the Karuna, Sanctus and Narayana a Solaris is boud to be a massive investment.

Offline Luis Dias

Well that is somewhat meaningless. Isn't the Solaris an investment in the same order of magnitude of what the Orion was dozens of years before?

Offline -Norbert-

Probably, but those were build by the GTA, before the Ubuntu party came to power (or even existed?). Also I imagine that most of the Orions were build during war, which tends to change priorities. On top of that the Solaris were discussed and build in a time when Sol wasn't just at peace, but completely isolated from any possible enemy, except themselfs.

Offline Luis Dias

Weren't Jupiter and Mars independent from Ubuntu Earth?

Perhaps a small arms race build up?