Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 425179 times)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Whoops. Yeah I left it on recommended instead of required.  Mod's uploaded to Knossos now. Thank you for the help guys!

Hello guys.

I used to play FreeSpace 2 on my desktop and due to the dedicated gfx card i had, there was no issues.
As i got my Laptop, I noticed that the launcher and the executable runs on the internal Intel Graphics. I wanted it to run on the Nvidia GFX which is available.

Is there any solution to where the launcher can open the FSO binary to run on the Nvidia Graphics?

Thank you.
Requiescat in pace

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Open up nVidia Control Panel, find the performance area, add FreeSpace 2 Open, tell it to use the high performance graphics card.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@woutersmits: That's nothing Knossos can fix. Either use an adaptable HUD (like the one included with the latest MediaVPs) or encourage the SCP coders to fix the issue in the engine.
The targeting bug is a bug in FSO so there's nothing I can do about that. Find a coder with a 4k screen and tell him to fix that bug.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:35:01 pm by ngld »

sorry wrong topic
knosses bugs somethin itsays not installed

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Can you give me the full error message? That would be much more helpful.

Hey there! I'm back, got a nostalgia attack xd
I spent some time digging the wiki at first and installed FSO & mediavp the old way (tm), only to found this when I was looking for Blue Planet.

First of all: this launcher/manager is awesome!

After setting this thing up, I encountered some turbulence, so without further ado, my feedback:

• After initial setup, my pilot files weren't copied, in case anyone has this problem, you need to copy/move them to "%appdata%\HardLightProductions\FreespaceOpen\data\players"
  • Another thing I noticed is the launcher copies retail VPs to its own folder structure, after this, retail installation directory is no longer needed, maybe add a opt-in checkbox to delete the folder (better yet, use Freespace2 as the default Knossos data dir). Opt-in in case someone still wants to play retail via the original exe.
  • About folder structure, I observed 'retail' FS2 on the launcher is just calling FSOpen executable with -mod FS2 cmdline, so the retail vps are used as a mod instead. However, other mods are subfolders of FS2, maybe you could make it in such a way that every mod has its own folder alongside FS2 folder. (probs adding ',FS2' to mod cmdline)
  • Report button on mod detail screen just 'doesn't work' without a nebula account saved, opens a message box saying: "Request failed. Please contact ngld.", log says:
    ERROR:MainThread:web.nebReportMod: Failed to send mod report!
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\knossos\knossos\web.py", line 1288, in nebReportMod
      File "C:\knossos\knossos\nebula.py", line 225, in report_release
      File "C:\knossos\knossos\nebula.py", line 33, in _call
    knossos.nebula.InvalidLoginException

Probably it should state the reason it fails is this, or better yet report them without needing an account.
  • Which brings me to the reason of the report: MVP 3.8.2 seems like having a checksum mismatch, whenever I "Verify file integrity", packages MV_Music and MV_RadarIcons show as invalid, despite being redownloaded via Knossos.
<Hades> YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND
<Hades> And neither do I
------------------------------------------------------------
<pecenipicek> can you root my /?
<mura> HEY!
<mura> get a room
<mura> you perverts

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
First of all: this launcher/manager is awesome!
Thanks! :)

After initial setup, my pilot files weren't copied, in case anyone has this problem, you need to copy/move them to "%appdata%\HardLightProductions\FreespaceOpen\data\players"
Yeah, wxLauncher is the only launcher that does this correctly right now. Since Knossos was designed for 3.8.0, I never took into account that someone might be coming to Knossos from an older FSO version.

Another thing I noticed is the launcher copies retail VPs to its own folder structure, after this, retail installation directory is no longer needed, maybe add a opt-in checkbox to delete the folder (better yet, use Freespace2 as the default Knossos data dir). Opt-in in case someone still wants to play retail via the original exe.
We're currently improving the first time setup. I might add a checkbox to delete the old folder and a notice that it's no longer needed. Knossos can't use the old Freespace2 folder itself since the retail files need to be in a subfolder to work and I don't want to break any existing retail installations.

About folder structure, I observed 'retail' FS2 on the launcher is just calling FSOpen executable with -mod FS2 cmdline, so the retail vps are used as a mod instead. However, other mods are subfolders of FS2, maybe you could make it in such a way that every mod has its own folder alongside FS2 folder. (probs adding ',FS2' to mod cmdline)
That might be possible... not sure. However, the main reason for the FS2 folder is Knossos' TC support. Each TC has its own folder inside the data folder containing the TC files and the mods for that TC. FS2 is treated as just another TC since that was the easiest way to implement TCs. If I moved the FS2 mods outside the FS2 folder, it wouldn't be clear whether those are TCs or mods.

Report button on mod detail screen just 'doesn't work' without a nebula account saved, opens a message box saying: "Request failed. Please contact ngld.", log says:
[...]
Probably it should state the reason it fails is this, or better yet report them without needing an account.
Yes, I'll fix that in the next release. Not sure if I'm going to drop the account requirement since I want to avoid spam (and without the account there's no way I could reply).

Which brings me to the reason of the report: MVP 3.8.2 seems like having a checksum mismatch, whenever I "Verify file integrity", packages MV_Music and MV_RadarIcons show as invalid, despite being redownloaded via Knossos.
That's a result of certain bug fixes on the server... I fixed the downloads but forgot about the checksums. Thanks for the reminder!

We're currently improving the first time setup. I might add a checkbox to delete the old folder and a notice that it's no longer needed. Knossos can't use the old Freespace2 folder itself since the retail files need to be in a subfolder to work and I don't want to break any existing retail installations.

Yes, I'm aware of this limitation. My suggestion was more in the line of "recycle Freespace2 folder and put Knossos folder structure in it" (opt-in ofc)
<Hades> YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND
<Hades> And neither do I
------------------------------------------------------------
<pecenipicek> can you root my /?
<mura> HEY!
<mura> get a room
<mura> you perverts

Offline SL1

When trying to launch certain mods, I'm getting an error that says "I couldn't find an executable. Aborted." A lot of other mods work just fine, though, which is weird. Here are the mods that have given me this error so far:

The Deuterium Connection
Eyebleach
Operation Cloak and Dagger
Storm Front Saga
Walking on Ashes
Walls Closing

I'm not sure what might have caused this. It started after I installed Wings of Dawn 1+2, though. I didn't try to launch most of these mods before installing WoD, so I don't know if they were screwed up before, but I do know that I was able to launch Eyebleach and Operation Cloak and Dagger before.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Maybe you changed your Engine Stability to "Stable" instead to "Nightlies"?
 At least Deuterium and Storm Front are needing a Nightly 3.8.1 one.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline SL1

Just tried switching Preferred Engine Stability to "Nightlies". No effect.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
You could try to update your "FSO" mod before you play these.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline SL1

You could try to update your "FSO" mod before you play these.

I'm not seeing any way to do that. I tried clicking "Modify" on FSO, which brought up a menu for installing 3.8.1-20190205, but it looks like I already have that. Is that the newest version?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yes, that's the latest version
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
"I couldn't find an executable. Aborted."
[...]
It started after I installed Wings of Dawn 1+2, though.
That might actually be related... WoD is the first mod to use a custom build on Knossos. If you uninstall the WoD builds (should show up as a tile on the Home tab), does that change anything? If Knossos doesn't let you uninstall them because they're necessary for WoD, you can just move the bin/fso-wod-17.x.x folder out of your Knossos data folder.

You could also verify the file integrity for FSO (both latest version as well as for 3.8.0-2 and 3.8.0-3).

Offline SL1

I tried reinstalling the mods that were giving the error, and that seems to have fixed things. Someone with more technical knowledge might want to look into whether or not WoD's custom builds can cause issues, but whatever it was, reinstalling seems to work.

Offline neoterran

Knossos Windows installer (in fact all of FSNebula) is down atm. 504 Gateway Error. Any mirrors ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Nebula is back up. You can usually find all Knossos releases on GitHub as well though Knossos might fail to find mods (or install them) as long as Nebula is unavailable.

I can't get it to work, it keeps asking for a GOG installer..... I installed it via Steam. I don't own a GOG copy. HELP