Author Topic: Rename Dante?  (Read 7707 times)

Offline crizza

Dante would be more fitting for some sort of deep space exploration ship which has delved into shivan territory for quite some time.

While I like Ahriman I go with the SSJ Unknown

"SSJ Unknown"

(...)

As an aside, how do names for newly-encountered ships in FS get assigned?  We encounter the Dante for the first time in Universal Truth (1st iteration) but are immediately given the code-name "Dante" for the super-juggernaut.  This suggests the naming theme is at least partly randomized (which would be typical of modern-day military code-naming) and as such, the name "Dante" means nothing past the connotations of a particular Italian poet and his most well-known work, which deals with sin and its punishments.

Good point: is the assumption here that names are assigned from some form of omniscient narrator that somewhat gives "clues" by the naming of ships, or is it something that is done by the GTVA itself?

If it is done by the GTVA, how did it name the SSJ unknown immediately after it came to the scene? Some kind of automatic name generator? (I know, I'm just repeating Damage's points here). If not automatic, shouldn't it at least come off something like ???? UNKNOWN ???? at least at the start? Give it a minute or so and then name it? (as if someone on the deck was figuring out what name to give it, they discuss it and decide the name, all this happening out of the camera).
What would make most sense to me is a central name pool with appropriate names to use whenever a random Cain or Moloch appears. It would also be reasonable to keep some names ready for new capital ship classes, and after Sathanas, something bigger should certainly not surprise GTVA. In other words, immediately having a designation for an SSJ is not surprising at all.

It appears the GTVA has a tradition of calling these SSJ as they appear with christian names. Lucifer, then Sathanas. (SSJ Jesus F Christ?) Dante could be worse than it is, it expresses bewilderment on the size of it. IDK, I'm at a loss here.
This is true, but doesn't leave you much choice. There's Iblīs, which is the Arabic equivalent and afaik surprisingly unused. A synonym is Shayṭān, but that is used, for That Sad Excuse of a Bomber you might remember from FS1 :D

I know nothing about Hinduism, but they don't seem big on Devil-figures. I definitely wouldn't go with Shiva (what do you do when an SSSJ appears?), but Kālī is free. Wikipedia says that "she is often portrayed standing or dancing on her husband, the god Shiva, who lies calm and prostrate beneath her", like this:

~relationship goals~

That said, I still like Ahriman the best, because the meaning seams so appropriate, even if it sounds a bit lame. I especially like the fact that from the external perspective it seems to have started as a generic name for destructive thought, but later becomes reified into a single (even supreme) malign entity. That's such an anima thing to do!
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

I do not know if the BP team considers the Battle Captains campaign made by Lepanto to be canon, but I just realized there is a Ravana-class in Lopez's scenario that is named Apollyon...

Back on topic...

I know nothing about Hinduism, but they don't seem big on Devil-figures. I definitely wouldn't go with Shiva (what do you do when an SSSJ appears?), but Kālī is free. Wikipedia says that "she is often portrayed standing or dancing on her husband, the god Shiva, who lies calm and prostrate beneath her", like this:

~relationship goals~

That said, I still like Ahriman the best, because the meaning seams so appropriate, even if it sounds a bit lame. I especially like the fact that from the external perspective it seems to have started as a generic name for destructive thought, but later becomes reified into a single (even supreme) malign entity. That's such an anima thing to do!

Looking at it again, I am starting to warm to Ahriman. Didn't even think of Kālī, but I could see that as well.

I say it should be called Hugsy.

Give Mr. Cuddles a friend! :)

Edited because I fail at proofreading...
Chaos, Panic, and Disorder...
My work here is done.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
SSJ Urist

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Isn't Kali occupied by a small craft type, though? Ahriman sounds good. So does Urist, but I'm not sure if it's a creature from "real" mythos. :)

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
There's a Kali flight group in AoA:Forced Entry.  There's also some freighters in FS1's Playing Judas.  But as others have said, there's no real reason a name can't be reused for specific purposes.

And despite what I just said, "Leviathan" would be just about perfect except for one little detail.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline Valikdu

SSJ Hidden Fun Stuff

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
SSJ Dante#HiddenFunStuff  ;7

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
You could just call it "shiva", that is assuming it is the most powerful shivan vessel in the shivan arsenal (which it may very well not be). However what I think the Dante really needs is a completely new model, though I know that's not a practical goal.
Stuff

Kind of by definition, there cannot be an "ultimate" Shivan ship.  They are infinitely mutable.  And calling it "Shiva" makes it too much as if it were a central intelligence.  It's not.  It's just one more facet of the Shivan organism.  An extremely powerful one, no doubt, and it may have local command dictates, but it still defers to the whole Shivan gestalt organism.  At least that's my interpretation.

Neither the "Lucifer" nor the "Sathanas" actually kept to Hindu naming.  Those are distinctly Judeo-Christian names.  "Hades" would keep with the overall theme but that's definitely been used.

... What about Sheol?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Yeah, naming it the Shiva seems like it would imply things that weren't necessarily true. Granted, these are also all reporting names by GTVA staff and not the actual names of the vessels (assuming such a concept exists with the Shivans in the first place, which it probably does not), so it doesn't matter too much. I like Ahriman though, I think that one gets the idea across while adhering to existing naming conventions. Rolls off the tongue better than Angra Mainyu, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:27:22 pm by PsychoLandlord »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Cain, demon don't follow the naming convention either.  I like Sheol.  It's an easy way to say hell, which you're basically staring down if you're up against one of these things.

Edit: it also sounds BA.

Kali is also the name of a character in the TV show "Mongrels". I would not be able to keep a straight face... It would ruin the effect somewhat if I keep thinking of a psychopathic pigeon

I'm goin' back to Kali, Kali, Kali
I'm goin' back to Kali...
...I don't think so
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Valikdu

In seriousness, I'd go for 'Ahriman'. Or 'Angra-Mainyu'.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Dante is fine.
But if it has to change, Ahriman or Angra-Mainyu are quite nice.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Out of those two, I feel the "Angra-Mainyu" inspires more of a feeling of dread or appropriate scope of the threat that the ship would produce.

Offline qwadtep

From Gnosticism, Yaldabaoth: the jealous god of the Old Testament, born of the Great Chaos, the serpent of the Tree of Knowledge and the burning bush that appeared to Moses and led the Hebrews from Egypt, the lord of the physical world diametrically opposed to the spiritual.

For the Shivans of BP I can think of nothing better.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Out of those two, I feel the "Angra-Mainyu" inspires more of a feeling of dread or appropriate scope of the threat that the ship would produce.

Only problem I have with it is that I couldn't stop myself from referring to it as the "Angry Man"
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
"Nohochacyum"

This is a from a Mayan mythology. He is Brother to both deities of Death (Kisin) and Travel (Xamaniqinqu) and an archenemy of the world seperent, Hapikern. In the final strugge between Nohochacyum and Hapikern, Nohochacyum is said to win by strangling/smoothering Hapikern with his own body, which as side effect destroys all life on Earth.

I think this would work thematically due to the uncertain relation between Shivans and sub-space travel (in BP even interdimensional travel between paralell universes). Also the effect that the anihilation of life on Earth is protrayed as a side effect of a great struggle but not its objective would thematically gel with BP I think.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."