Author Topic: I can't get mediavps in linux to work  (Read 3315 times)

I can't get mediavps in linux to work
It's been a long time since I played fs2 or posted here, but looking for good linux games, I remembered fs2.

I picked up the 3.6.9 final build, and can't get the mediavp's to work. Everything works fine without them. In the tech room, nearly all of the textures don't show. I can generally only see the cockpit or a strange floating texture here and there, and when I load a mission I get:

ERROR: "Could not load WarpMap01 anim file" at fireball/fireballs.cpp:697

removing mv_effects fixes that but the ships are still "mostly invisible"

I have:
mp-710_effects.vp 
mv_adveffects.vp 
mv_effects.vp 
mv_music.vp
mp-710_adveffects.vp
mp-710_models.vp
mv_core.vp 
mv_models.vp 
mv_textures.vp
that I got from the java installer, they're in the mediavps folder.

I'm using Gentoo on a x86_64 with the o/s radeon driver and an older radeon (old enough to have full 3d accel w/ the radeon driver)
args:
-spec -env -glow -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.8 -spec_tube 0.4 -cache_bitmaps -targetinfo -orbradar -ballistic_gauge -rearm_timer -dualscanlines -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -fov 0.39 -snd_preload -alpha_env -fps -mod mediavps

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Offline Shade

Re: I can't get mediavps in linux to work
Try adding -jpgtga and see if that helps.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

K, it made some of the ships "mostly visible" instead of  "mostly invisible" but others were still completely invisible.  Namely, the hercs have textures but some parts are not covered giving them a weird look and most of the other fighters are limited to the lights. BTW, how do I take screenshots? printscreen doesn't seem to do anything there's nothing in the binary's folder or ~/.fs2_open

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Is S3TC support available (check for GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc in glxinfo)?  If not then you need to install the the lib for that and enable it through driconf.

BTW, how do I take screenshots? printscreen doesn't seem to do anything there's nothing in the binary's folder or ~/.fs2_open
They get saved in ~/.fs2_open/screenshots/.

That improved things a lot. Lots of ships are visible now but some still have weird problems

Offline mosteo

I have the same problem, though the -jpgtga option does nothing. My card is a Intel i945 with i915 driver (it's a laptop). Any ideas? Also installed using the Java installer.

Offline mosteo

In the end Ive solved it by removing the mv_models file out of the way. I don't not if this kills all the new effects or just some detail, but this way I get no artifacts.

Offline Shade

Removing mv_models simply reverts the game to using the original models instead of the upgraded versions. It does not do anything to the effects in the game, simply means that the ships aren't quite as detailed. But that's a small price if it means you can actually play on integrated graphics :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline mosteo

Glad to know. I've played now just the three tutorials in fs2 with full detail without noticing problems. We'll see in missions with capital ships.

Well, I tried moving the model packs away but I still have problems with capships and some fighters having weird "protrusions" and weird geometry.