Author Topic: Cyberpunk City  (Read 15406 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
I was actually expecting support and creative suggestions from you guys. This is a modding community, after all.

To be entirely fair, your proposal was poorly written.  And people respond poorly to poorly written proposals.

That's why I'm not going to major in English. A edit button exists, so what, in your opinion, makes it poorly written? (so I can change it)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I was actually expecting support and creative suggestions from you guys. This is a modding community, after all.

Lol. You're not the first person with ZERO modding/coding experience to come out and say they want to make some new game/game engine/epic mod/whatever the hell notion you have. A new game takes years for a staff of hundreds to make, and you making a sandbox game of this magnitude by yourself is, frankly, laughable. Please, spare yourself more embarrassment.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline FlamingCobra

Lol. You're not the first person with ZERO modding/coding experience to come out and say they want to make some new game/game engine/epic mod/whatever the hell notion you have. A new game takes years for a staff of hundreds to make, and you making a sandbox game of this magnitude by yourself is, frankly, laughable.

BUT

I'm not useless because I know about SEXPs!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline FlamingCobra

Besides, if people can make a Star Wars mod of GTA on their own, then with enough ambition, I can learn to mod GTA too.

Although I'd probably need other people to do stuff like make cars fly.

The only reason I'm not experimenting with it now is because I don't have the money to get the PC version of GTA4. But I don't really want to since I have the console version. Besides, I doubt my computer could handle it.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline FlamingCobra

I don't understand.........

anyway, this is a lot like what I'm talking about. Grand Theft Auto, This:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:14:46 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The only reason I'm not experimenting with it now is because I don't have the money to get the PC version of GTA4. But I don't really want to since I have the console version. Besides, I doubt my computer could handle it.

Do you have any idea how much you keep contradicting yourself? This right here is a perfect example.

"I wanna mod GTA4"
*several posts later* "I don't wanna get the PC version of GTA4 because I already have it for xbox/ps3 and I don't think my computer can handle it."

How the hell do you plan on modding a game that your PC can't play or you don't even want to buy?!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline FlamingCobra

Do you have any idea how much you keep contradicting yourself? This right here is a perfect example.

"I wanna mod GTA4"
*several posts later* "I don't wanna get the PC version of GTA4 because I already have it for xbox/ps3 and I don't think my computer can handle it."

How the hell do you plan on modding a game that your PC can't play or you don't even want to buy?!

I plan on having a better computer when I get into State. I'll also probably have some spending money then.

Also, State has a game design course/program, so that should help me figure out how all this stuff works.

I mean, I got the console version of L4D, but I don't have XBL, so I can't play online. PC version has free online & custom campaigns. I didn't want to get the PC version, but I forked out the dough and got it anyway.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:12:53 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That picture isn't very cyberpunk

Read Neuromancer

Play Deus Ex

Offline FlamingCobra

That picture isn't very cyberpunk

Read Neuromancer

Play Deus Ex

Jeremiah actually let me borrow neuromancer. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Also, it's hard finding exactly what you want by using google images. I can only get gradually closer approximations by searching images with another image.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:19:52 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

To be entirely fair, your proposal was poorly written.  And people respond poorly to poorly written proposals.

That's why I'm not going to major in English. A edit button exists, so what, in your opinion, makes it poorly written? (so I can change it)

No, and no.

"I wanna mod GTA4"

I plan on having a better computer when I get into State. I'll also probably have some spending money then.

Also, State has a game design course/program, so that should help me figure out how all this stuff works.

I mean, I got the console version of L4D, but I don't have XBL, so I can't play online. PC version has free online & custom campaigns. I didn't want to get the PC version, but I forked out the dough and got it anyway.

Don't major in game design (or any design, really) at a state-level university.  You'll waste your time.

Assuming that you actually want to design games, rather than make "the parts": a better plan would be to embrace a technical school for modeling and/or game development (which will give you experience with toolsets and specific problem solving), and flesh it out with a BA-level computer science degree.  A film minor/major wouldn't hurt, either.

Offline FlamingCobra

No, and no.

"I wanna mod GTA4"

Don't major in game design (or any design, really) at a state-level university.  You'll waste your time.

Assuming that you actually want to design games, rather than make "the parts": a better plan would be to embrace a technical school for modeling and/or game development (which will give you experience with toolsets and specific problem solving), and flesh it out with a BA-level computer science degree.  A film minor/major wouldn't hurt, either.

But I had my heart set on NCSU! :(

btw, is this better?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

... Get a job, stop waiting for allowances from your mother or saving up said allowances for 2 years. :wtf:

[EDIT] Also, can this thread get locked? I don't think its original purpose will ever resurface.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:47:04 pm by Cobra »

Offline FlamingCobra

... Get a job, stop waiting for allowances from your mother or saving up said allowances for 2 years. :wtf:

Not allowed. I pretty much can't even leave the house without my mother's permission.

closest thing yet. Now just make it grimier.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:57:21 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh, NOW this all makes sense.

[EDIT] Jesus christ add some ****ing lvlshot tags.
[EDIT2] Hmm. I wonder when you'll realize nobody cares?

* Cobra reiterates locking notion
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:58:43 pm by Cobra »

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
You've got vision. Just realize that what you want and what is do-able with the resources at hand are always two different things.  If you want to mod then start small or get into another team that already started a project. Pick up the skills while you're young... art, modeling, programming.. . those are the building blocks.

Going to Uni won't be as much of a help as you're thinking. Besides small indie games ie. sub phone complexity you won't find much that is made by a single person.  Something like you're thinking of will take a large team of guys a few years  to finish.

I'm not saying it can't be done or you shouldn't try...  everything starts with an initial idea. Just realize where you stand now, what it will take to get there, and decide if it's worthwhile to spend that much of yourself in pursuit of it.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Davros

I think you would like Omnicron - the nomad soul

*Record scratch*

Hold on one bloody second here.

You don't have seven dollars?  You could work at McDonalds for an hour (okay, maybe an hour and ten minutes to cover federal income tax), quit immediately, and come out of it with enough money to buy the PC version of GTA4 this weekend.  You probably wouldn't even have to be there long enough to hear the whole health and safety training lecture.

The crux of the issue here, though, is that you have presented an idea and given us little to no reason to care.  There's nearly seven billion people in the world, each of whom has enough neurons to rub together to form about seven billion ideas of his/her own.  An idea on its own isn't worth anything.  "A dime a dozen" overstates the value of an idea.

You can flesh it out all you like.  You can cull as many pretty pictures from the internet as you like to attempt to make us visualize the idea.  The fact of the matter is that you've been consistently telling us two things in this thread:  (1) You don't want to invest the effort in realizing this project yourself.  (2) You can't be bothered to spend seven dollars to see the platform upon which you want to build your project.  If this idea is so worthless to you that it's not worth your time or that modest monetary investment, it's pretty goddamn disrespectful to tell anybody else that it should be worth their time, effort, and money.  Modding communities aren't your servants, and the members of those communities have ideas of their own to invest their efforts in implementing.