Author Topic: Currently needed and WIP ships (Updated 12/1/21)  (Read 86363 times)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Currently needed and WIP ships (Updated 12/14/15)
I could dig up the details if needed but there's actually significant geometry differences in the main body that make it a totally different ship.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Chief1983, didn't you aware that the Expanded Universe was rebranded as Star Wars Legends by Disney in April 2014 in preparation for the Star Wars sequel trilogy? I thought any Legends/canon ship can be accepted for FoTG.

Speaking of craft appearing in The Force Awakens such as the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer, the T-70 X-Wing, the Special Forces TIE Fighter, and the First Order Shuttle transport, Jammer has deleted the "Star Wars Resistance Fighter" thread recently. I had doubts whether all of these were qualified as such.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:01:04 pm by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Can be accepted?  Sure, there's only a few ships we've come out and said are definitely a no...the TIE Defender and Missile Boat off the top of my head.  If someone comes along and wants to do a bang-up job on one of those ships that matches the overall tone and feel that we're going for in FotG, it's likely to be accepted in the mod.  Heck, we have the Naboo Fighter in-game because of that.  We probably won't use it for any of our campaign missions but it's there.

Offline Rolf

Can be accepted?  Sure, there's only a few ships we've come out and said are definitely a no...the TIE Defender and Missile Boat off the top of my head.

Why's that?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
IMHO because they're supremely unbalanced.  And if they are nerfed to be not unbalanced, then what different roles do they fill that aren't already filled? (and nerfed versions will no doubt annoy their fans anyway!)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't see any problem with unbalanced/overpowered fighters, especially if they're enemies. If they are flown by the player, there can just be more enemies/more difficult scenarios. Balance in single-player is more (i would daresay almost entirely) scenario-dependent than actor-dependent anyway.

It's simple to make missions that are easy in an unshielded PVF Anubis and ones that are hard in a GTF Erinyes, and one is "supremely unbalanced" against the other.

It's not like every craft is available for selection and in competetion with every other in every mission - it's up to the mission designer after all. This also holds true for multiplayer.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well, competitive multiplayer is a goal for FotG (whether or not the state of the FSO netcode lets it get there is something else entirely), and in that situation under/overpowered ships are bad, at least for something like straight up 2v2 dogfight missions (which as I understand it were the staple of competitive XvT play, not any of the scripted missions). And if you're going to exclude the ships from those missions because they're unbalanced, then why expend the effort on making them anyway?

Also, superfighters don't fit in with our "vision" of how the Imperial starfleet works, i.e. due to politics, paranoia, etc, they are focused on powerful capships & lightweight fighters, in specific contrast to the Alliance. And, speaking for myself, they don't fit in with the feel of the OT, which is good enough reason by itself to exclude them from our TC :)

Anyway, this is a moot point anyway until someone actually creates the relevant models to a high standard, maybe if someone actually went & did that we could have another discussion about the relevant merits of adding them for use by mission designers, if not by the FotG team themselves. Or someone could simply make a mod to add them after release, it's not like we're going to hunt you down to maintain the purity of our vision :p
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Well, competitive multiplayer is a goal for FotG (whether or not the state of the FSO netcode lets it get there is something else entirely), and in that situation under/overpowered ships are bad, at least for something like straight up 2v2 dogfight missions (which as I understand it were the staple of competitive XvT play, not any of the scripted missions). And if you're going to exclude the ships from those missions because they're unbalanced, then why expend the effort on making them anyway?

Also, superfighters don't fit in with our "vision" of how the Imperial starfleet works, i.e. due to politics, paranoia, etc, they are focused on powerful capships & lightweight fighters, in specific contrast to the Alliance. And, speaking for myself, they don't fit in with the feel of the OT, which is good enough reason by itself to exclude them from our TC :)

Anyway, this is a moot point anyway until someone actually creates the relevant models to a high standard, maybe if someone actually went & did that we could have another discussion about the relevant merits of adding them for use by mission designers, if not by the FotG team themselves. Or someone could simply make a mod to add them after release, it's not like we're going to hunt you down to maintain the purity of our vision :p

Yep, pretty much all that.  More importantly though, we just don't like them.  I actually wasn't ever much of a fan of the Assault Gunboat either but the slight re-imagining we've got as a WIP is making me salivate.  Now if we could just get it finished...

Be grateful that we're making an attempt to get the Assault Gunboat in game and we already have the tri-winged TIE Phantom or whatever it's called.  The missile boat and the defender would just be too close to those two though.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
the tri-winged TIE Phantom or whatever it's called

TIE/ph, or Phantom V38 :nervous:

Personally, I can honestly see the Defender being used in certain missions (a la TIE Fighter), since only prestigious pilots pilot Defenders. The Missile Boat canonically wouldn't work, considering the extreme limit on its deployment, so there's that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:03:36 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Tnadz

I'm not going to go stealing anyone's thunder but I want to make mention that significant headway has been made on a certain ship by Zookeeper...thanks to his tremendous patience and feedback.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Currently needed and WIP ships (Updated 9/29/16))
Updated first post with latest data.  No major changes, a few ships are now considered abandoned.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
The Interdictor cruiser can also be moved from Expanded Universe since it's actually canon, unless FoTG is defining everything outside of the OT expanded.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Everything outside of the movies is EU, though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I thought the new Disney canon included stuff from (e.g.) the Rebels animated series?  Probably doesn't matter which category a ship is stuffed into though, if it's on the list in the OP we'd like to have it :)
----
----

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I thought the new Disney canon included stuff from (e.g.) the Rebels animated series?  Probably doesn't matter which category a ship is stuffed into though, if it's on the list in the OP we'd like to have it :)

Oh, right, the dumbass Disney move to make twenty years of lore moot so they could plant their own lore. Forgot about that.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

Oh, right, the dumbass Disney move to make twenty years of lore moot so they could plant their own lore. Forgot about that.

Yep.  For our purposes, we only care about the OT being canon.  I think most of us are tentatively open to some of the new stuff from Episode VII (and beyond) but it's not something we've discussed at length, and our criteria for accepting it would be the same as any other EU ship anyways.  Either way, it's not a priority, and we don't have anyone available to make such models in the first place at the moment.  If some very talented modeler comes along and is dying to create something from the new movies for us, I'd so go for it.  If you do a bang-up job, we'll probably include it.  But there isn't any current need either.  Perhaps after our first release someone might want to put together a campaign set in that time period, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Offline Tnadz

I was reading through the post here, noting the back and forth about multiplayer balancing.  If I recall, couldn't the host of an MP match dictate which fighters were available?  Not to beat a dead horse, but couldn't that be used to govern a match?  Maybe it would be fun to have less experienced pilots in more powerful ships taking on aces.  That certainly happened often enough in the books from what I recall.

Of course I mostly agree with the sentiment that a balanced dog fight is more fun than a heavily weighted one.  I guess overall, I love choice.  And from seeing all the excellent build quality so far, I like feeling like a kid in a candy shop.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I was reading through the post here, noting the back and forth about multiplayer balancing.  If I recall, couldn't the host of an MP match dictate which fighters were available?  Not to beat a dead horse, but couldn't that be used to govern a match?  Maybe it would be fun to have less experienced pilots in more powerful ships taking on aces.  That certainly happened often enough in the books from what I recall.

Of course I mostly agree with the sentiment that a balanced dog fight is more fun than a heavily weighted one.  I guess overall, I love choice.  And from seeing all the excellent build quality so far, I like feeling like a kid in a candy shop.

Honestly Multiplayer in general is so broken right now (in FSO, not just FotG) that it's not anywhere remotely one of our primary concerns.  With the increased speeds of FotG combat compared to FreeSpace, it's just not going to be playable in multiplayer until some serious work is done to the FSO netcode.  Something along the lines of clint-side hit detection or lag compensation or something.

So again, if someone comes along and makes a knockout job of a particular EU ship that meets our quality criteria and matches our overall style, I'd be willing to bet we'd put it in one way or another, if nothing else so it's available for custom missions.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
So again, if someone comes along and makes a knockout job of a particular EU ship that meets our quality criteria and matches our overall style, I'd be willing to bet we'd put it in one way or another, if nothing else so it's available for custom missions.
EU is now known as Star Wars Legends, after April 25, 2014. Would you please treat EU as such, and don't refer that to the former name.

And what about canon ships, such as T-70 X-wing, U-wing, MC75 star cruiser, Resurgent-class Battlecruiser, Hammerhead corvette, Upsilon-class First Order command shuttle, Special Forces TIE fighter, Zeta-class cargo shuttle, TIE striker and TIE reaper?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
EU is now known as Star Wars Legends, after April 25, 2014. Would you please treat EU as such, and don't refer that to the former name.

And what about canon ships, such as T-70 X-wing, U-wing, MC75 star cruiser, Resurgent-class Battlecruiser, Hammerhead corvette, Upsilon-class First Order command shuttle, Special Forces TIE fighter, Zeta-class cargo shuttle, TIE striker and TIE reaper?

Why do you care? The EU we speak of is an actual expanded universe, showing far more than what Disney has, despite the EU being shown with fanfic-quality stories.

Considering FotG was conceived and written when the new continuity didn't exist, I highly doubt that your demands for ships will be met. Do you have something actually constructive to add or are you just trying to show how visionary you are about everything?