Author Topic: 3D-Printed Mini Ship Models!  (Read 66134 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: 3D-Printed Mini Ship Models!
Man, if you could rig up some red LEDs in strategic spots...

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Very awesome (and very expensive too i imagine). What does it do the prints in, wood/plastic?

...And now i can't get the thoughts "Table-top" and "Battlefleet Gothic-esque" out of my head! :lol:

PS: Tell your freind he is indeed a bloody awesome painter.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Model wise the sath is about $50 AUD and $35 for painting. The material is extruded ABS plastic, and it works by putting down layers of material rather than carving it away from an initial block. Less wasteful and more flexible. :)

I think technologically the next step up from this type of printing is laser sintering, which is very wasteful and the results are not as strong, but it provides a much finer detail resolution than extrusion printing can.

And haha, yeah tabletop game pieces would be totally possible!
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Akalabeth Angel's Babylon 5 Wars adaptation for the FS universe might be a good place to start: http://knossos.firenebula.com/. However there could be some problems with scale involved.
Really? Scale?
I have a Landraider, which can transport up to ten Terminators...but a Termi is almost as high as a Landraider, so that should work.

I've only had a cursory look at B5 Wars online but I believe it's hex-based, so you'd either need larger hexes (and hence a larger space to play on) or smaller models. There is a non-hex based ruleset in the War of Retribution supplement for the 1st edition though.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Very awesome (and very expensive too i imagine). What does it do the prints in, wood/plastic?

...And now i can't get the thoughts "Table-top" and "Battlefleet Gothic-esque" out of my head! :lol:

it would probibly be cheaper in the long run to just get a 3d printer for any kind of large scale production runs like that, especially since 3d printers are really coming down in price. i may get one of the those (though i may get a laser cutter instead).

another thing that was on hack a day not too long ago was an article about the legal ramifications of printing models of copyrighted  materials (particularly from warhammer), that may interest you.
http://www.wired.com/design/2012/05/3-d-printing-patent-law/
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

it would probibly be cheaper in the long run to just get a 3d printer for any kind of large scale production runs like that, especially since 3d printers are really coming down in price. i may get one of the those (though i may get a laser cutter instead).

No way, I believe injection molding is far quicker and cheaper per unit to mass produce. 3D-printing in my opinion is only good for prototyping and small-scale production of models that can't be molded for one reason or another.

Sath looks awesome, btw.  :yes:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
another thing that was on hack a day not too long ago was an article about the legal ramifications of printing models of copyrighted  materials (particularly from warhammer), that may interest you.
http://www.wired.com/design/2012/05/3-d-printing-patent-law/

I'm giving you clearance codes to eliminate that sector of the UK, Nuke. No matter how much we may love Warhammer here, at some point some things must be done for the greater good.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Al-Rik

Hm, some of the rules of Full Thrust may work:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Thrust

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities

Bobboau's HTL Orion!

Other angles are here and here.

It's 16.5cm (6.5") long and has 6 steel rod antenna (apparently plastic thin stuff was breaking during shipping) even though I managed to get pics that all hide 3 of them. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Mind you, it looks a bit like ice cream...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
GTD Chocolate reporting for duty.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
noice!, it looks delicious it will attract shivan bombers before long c: 
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

OK, now we need an orion with an overglossed whitish texture for the next parody campaign. Or dream mission in a regular campaign.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I can has sprinkles?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I thought that it looked like it might be made of soap.  Maybe we need a Legion Hulk next (and I'm not talking about the Green Guy from Marvel).
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I worry about you lot. :p
Twisted Infinities

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It's par for the course, given that the old HLP was apparently wackier than this. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
lies.

and i refuse to believe anybody was wackier than the old teamwars ilk.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities

But it turned out all they wanted was our tea.

Karl has arrived.

BTW, I love Freakspace. :D
Twisted Infinities

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
F*ck yeah.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras