Author Topic: Aiming  (Read 15371 times)

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Ummm. Why?

I felt that unfamiliarity with the feel of the the fighter, the wide, flat shape of the miner and the response speed of your wing made it even more of a chore than in FS2.

It doesn't make a lot of logical sense either; detonating a large explosive or series of explosives along the line of travel prior to entering such a field sounds far more plausible. Potential cover from enemy combatants only really applies to cap-ship bombardment from outside the field and it would need to be a significant force for risking a path through the unpredictable asteroid field. Also, an enemy detonating a warhead close to the location of the convoy is going to turn said asteroid field into a pretty effective blast-bomb. FS2 had armed cap-ships that could have mashed up the field from within and had shielding. Contrast this to the convoy which is unshielded, has a tiny contingent of fighters and has no armament (IIRC). It just struck me as a crazy scenario, needlessly risky and harder to defend than in open space or above/below the asteroid field which kinda kicked the suspension of disbelief. There are a lot more reasons why it doesn't make sense than why it does.

It did give me deja-vu though as I had been used to command making weird decisions. ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ummm. Why?

I felt that unfamiliarity with the feel of the the fighter, the wide, flat shape of the miner and the response speed of your wing made it even more of a chore than in FS2.

It doesn't make a lot of logical sense either; detonating a large explosive or series of explosives along the line of travel prior to entering such a field sounds far more plausible. Potential cover from enemy combatants only really applies to cap-ship bombardment from outside the field and it would need to be a significant force for risking a path through the unpredictable asteroid field. Also, an enemy detonating a warhead close to the location of the convoy is going to turn said asteroid field into a pretty effective blast-bomb. FS2 had armed cap-ships that could have mashed up the field from within and had shielding. Contrast this to the convoy which is unshielded, has a tiny contingent of fighters and has no armament (IIRC). It just struck me as a crazy scenario, needlessly risky and harder to defend than in open space or above/below the asteroid field which kinda kicked the suspension of disbelief. There are a lot more reasons why it doesn't make sense than why it does.

It did give me deja-vu though as I had been used to command making weird decisions. ;)

I concur. I hope there are no asteroid defense missions at all in Diaspora.

It's been canonically demonstrated in Galactica (Home, Part I) that Vipers attacking asteroids with missiles and guns simply turn them into enormous, hazardous minefields. I just don't think it fits with the feel of the show.

It doesn't seem to make too much sense for those teeny-caliber KEWs to be shattering asteroids into dust anyway.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:02:14 pm by General Battuta »

Oh God, the asteroids were the BAND of my existence in the BtRL demo. I only ever managed to get past that part 3 times out of probably 12-15 play throughs. I frustrated me to no end. Then One time I reached the ace and ran out of bullets :|

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It was not terrifically difficult to just fly ahead or behind the mining ship, then match speed (and direction), let it stabilize, then engage Glide and start tracking the asteroids traveling towards the mining ship. Also, as it only required about three rounds or so (?) to destroy an asteroid, destroying them isn't exactly ammo-consuming... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It was not terrifically difficult to just fly ahead or behind the mining ship, then match speed (and direction), let it stabilize, then engage Glide and start tracking the asteroids traveling towards the mining ship. Also, as it only required about three rounds or so (?) to destroy an asteroid, destroying them isn't exactly ammo-consuming... :nervous:

But it was silly, and onerous, and inordinately difficult on higher difficulties.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yep, those protect-ships-from-active-asteroid-field missions are extremely dependent on your difficulty seetings. The amount of roids thrown at the ship increases to a frusttrating amount even at the medium setting, and it only gets worse from there. I had to lower the diffculty to very easy to beat that mission with my sanity intact.

I wouldn't miss this type of mission even the slightest bis if it were omitted.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Altering the AI Profile would stop that happening. And Asteroid defence missions are about as realistic as heavy asteroid belts are in the first place :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Altering the AI Profile would stop that happening. And Asteroid defence missions are about as realistic as heavy asteroid belts are in the first place :D

What? You're telling me there are no fields of large floatie-rocks in space?!? I've been lied to so many times by video-games and bad sci-fi.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

Except for Chapel Perilous:
http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/HW_Campaign:_Chapel_Perilous
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
What? You're telling me there are no fields of large floatie-rocks in space?!? I've been lied to so many times by video-games and bad sci-fi.

You were...  There are huge fields of floating rocks in space, but they are not that dense, and could not be as dynamic as you have seen them in TV shows. It is possible, but only if the field is "freshly created" by a cataclysm., and not as something which exists in equilibrium since billions of years. In solar systems asteroids tend to group around the Lagrange points. Around planets rings usually created and smoothed by the tidal forces of the fellow moons.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:56:20 am by Meleardil »
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions

You were...  There are huge fields of floating rocks in space, but they are not that dense, and could not be as dynamic as you have seen them in TV shows. It is possible, but only if the field is "freshly created" by a cataclysm., and not as something which exists in equilibrium since billions of years. In solar systems asteroids tend to group around the Lagrange points. Around planets rings usually created and smoothed by the tidal forces of the fellow moons.

I was being somewhat (i.e. very) facetious but thank you for the information. :)

Offline Zmur

In solar system we have one asteroid field which is between Mars and Jupiter as I remember. I don't know about the density, but I think you're right - they aren't very dense. The density should be a problem only if the ship is travelling at high speeds. Anyway, the NASA launched two "pioneer" satellites and they didn't bother about that field.
Having one marker, it is possible to colour up everything, except that marker itself. Having two markers, it is possible to colour up everything at all.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

In solar system we have one asteroid field which is between Mars and Jupiter as I remember. I don't know about the density, but I think you're right - they aren't very dense. The density should be a problem only if the ship is travelling at high speeds. Anyway, the NASA launched two "pioneer" satellites and they didn't bother about that field.
I'm pretty sure you could float something the size of the Earth through our asteroid field without hitting anything of note.  Its not that dense at all.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Shade

You might even get lucky and acquire a few extra moons if you do that :D
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Zmur

BTW I liked the asteroid defence mission in the demo. It added some "realism", made me feel as the pilot who is not only fighting, but also does something "routinic".
Having one marker, it is possible to colour up everything, except that marker itself. Having two markers, it is possible to colour up everything at all.

Offline Echelon9

I too thought the miner asteroid defence mission had lots to offer; and some here might be too quick to berate it.

If you want to develop an engrossing story, you've got to have some believable characters. Of course, when the 'characters' appear as all relatively similar ships on screen visually, you've got to use the comm chatter and other methods to flesh out each personality. When you're fighting in the thick of a dogfight, let's be honest, we miss most of the comm chatter.

These quieter misions - insights into what the everyday life for a Viper pilot of sensor sweeps, CAP picket duty and riding shotgun for Colonial One is like - gives that opportunity. Take a look at Blue Planet, which uses whole missions where you don't fire in anger to build their characters and the story.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Right, quiet missions are great, but frustrating and inexplicable asteroid defense missions aren't.