Author Topic: My New Campiagn..................  (Read 4822 times)

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
My New Campiagn..................
Not really Freespace, is it? The GTVA could never wipe out the Shivans, and there's not really much of a story there. It's basically "OMG! Teh shivans are back! Alpha 1 saves the day!!11" but with a different enemy. Your basic "terrifying new species" plot. That isn't what Freespace is about, really, and it's been tried before anyway (aldo's campaign Reciprocity was about a horrible new species, as well as the Shivans coming back to rape the GTVA again. He couldn't finish it because it was too much work, too ambitious and he didn't have the time or staff to accomplish it. Shame, but not terribly surprising. I think there are others as well. The Tau (?? the blue blobby thing he made) from Nico's campaign Over The Top (also RIP) were another new species. OTT died last year, Reci this year.

Have you played Homesick yet? That's pretty much the kind of campaign you want to make - a challenging, exciting story, but nothing over the top, coupled with great missions.

You've got to think of a way to get the plot into the game in a way that the player feels immersed in it, that they're doing something important while staying true to the game universe.
Any fool can pull a trigger...

so.......whats a good storyline...
When you look away this message is in spanish.

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
dont ask us!!!! YOU gotta make it up!!
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
supernova - my advice to you is this:

Join the Fred Academy. Do a stack of missions for them, to get your skills sharp. Then join a hosted project, like Scroll of Atankharzim or one of the others who need Fredders. That'll get you really sharp, and you'll be able to see the kind of plot structure and detail you need for a good campaign (I mentioned Scroll because I'm a staffer, and the storyline is fantastic ;)). That'll set you up to make a killer campaign of your own. :)

You need to start with a theme of some sort. You could have:

Pirates
Betrayal
Devious doings
Disaster - natural or otherwise
Shivans (try not to if you can help it - or don't base the story purely around  Shivans - throw them into the mix once you're story's progressed a fair way. "Argh - the Shivans are back to kill us all!!" has been done so many times it's not even funny any more...)
Revenge

Any of those, or a combination of a few, will give you a good basic premise to construct a plot around. If you want, I can write you a little sample plot around one of these themes to get you started... :)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ok time out guys....we are really hammering on the new guys lately.  ok Cobras got annoying and pec...whatever his name is...well....anyway...at least supernova is trying to do something and actually ASKING.

Supernova i am going to give you a bit of advice that i learned a long time ago...write it.  Once it is written put it away.  Come back in a month....either you love it or you will hate it.  If you love it, it's good stuff, if not...it sucks.  The reason you put it away for a month is so that the newness wears off, and you aren't mistaking "fresh" for "good".  It's a common problem.  I do that.  I think it and then i put it away.  I read it in a month...and i gotta tell ya....i have thrown away more storylines than i have ever thought of showing, and am i ever glad that i do not suffer the embarassment of actually having shown that garbage to anyone.  Try it, you'd be surprised.

Take that month that you are waiting and do the fred academy...it can't hurt, and more importantly, you'll be learning how things work here at HLP.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 09:56:28 pm by 820 »
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Well said, ShadowWolf. :yes:

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
let me sum up for what i have for my campaign ('The 900 Days'). oh, BTW, it has passed the 'fresh or good?' test :) (surprisingly well...)

it is based on disaster AND revenge AND shivans (in a fairly new way, too...) as the main points.

this is the type of campaign which chronicles an event or series of events, rather than play out a story.

it introduces a new 'race' (sort of), but its a very small one (lesse... maybe... 6-7 ships at most?)

a few new shivan ships (i already have the models, so thats no biggie)

so, relativly light MODding.

LOTS of new music. new music can really help immerse the player in the game. IMO theres nothing like jumping into an unknown (and new) mission to hear new, creepy music :) (i already have the music)

a new mainhall, which also helps get the story across.

this is quite an adventurous effort, and im letting it sit. it has passed the time test (ie, i still think its awesome) but i havnt started working on it yet.

and please, this is serving as an example. so dont start bashing my campaign. leave it be. please.

so, supernova, do sharpen your skills, even if its some standalone missions, then make sure your campaign is unique, fun, and/or just plain COOL.
THEN make it.,
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

errrrrrr................what about me?

any way...
wanna make a storyline?
burrow ideas from other sci-fi games (Halo, StarLancer), and war-movies (Tears from Sun, Blade II <--not really a war-movie, but a good one[the first believeable scientific explanation of vampires])...just like me...............mix 'em up and you'll have something with a slight resemblence to original...
Developing a FS2 Campaign:
Corruptible, everyone has a price