Author Topic: HTL Medusa  (Read 69645 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
el hombre vicio...

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Shivan fighters are extremely hard to model, just going to leave it at that.

So, Hades, any progress?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Blocked. What. :blah:

Offline Hades

I used filesmelt to host it, I'll reupload it to photobucket.

I'd like to mention that there is stil no head and the engines were removed because I wasn't happy with them, so I'm gonna redo those too
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Looks good so far.

looks good. the thrusters are beveled in the front though.

also, forget about see through cockpits. save some polygons and just make the cockpit a gold reflective glass/metal like those instruments they have on armored vehicles.

no cockpit you say? Why my dear sir, you must be mad!

Offline Kolgena

See through cockpits haven't been an issue for previous HTL models and won't be an issue here.

Offline Hades

All right, reviewing the above comparisons, the current HTL is ****. I'd slightly rather have something done from scratch, but I don't think this is a bad use of time at all.
Are there some parts which could be better worked out? Sure. But the detail is all there. The model looks bad as when it was finished, lighting and texture issues, especially texture issues, make it look bad. What this model needs is an overhaul in the texture department, and perhaps the lighting department as well. Unfortunately, I can't do all that much in either. However, the geometry itself still stands up pretty well.
I'd like to mention that it doesn't matter how it looks without textures, it only matters how it looks with textures, since we'll never see the ships without textures in-game.

Also, if you're gonna make a render showing off the detail on a model you might not want to make it so dark/shadowed that you can barely see the ship itself...

As for cockpits, I dunno, I've never modeled one, and I'm not so sure I should add one unless it is actually good enough to use by the player (otherwise, why have a cockpit?)
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The existing model has a see-through canopy, so this one should as well.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Hades

----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Hm, pretty damn awesome maybe?

The pods look like they can be attachted to the Medusa. Really cool when you think of its handling inside a hangar bay (detach the rocket pods so they safe space or for repairs etc).

I hope you can still see all of the details when the texture is on these (is it a bare silver metal texture there or are wing-logos going on those sides as well?)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Hades

Thanks. :)

As for seeing all the detail, you likely will be able to considering the way they're done and UVMaps are a lot better about this. Were the current MVP Orion uvmapped it might look less like a formless brick. There's a part I'm thinking of having a nameplate for (similar to fighters/vehcles in Halo and BSG) which I'm also doing on the Hermes. And yes, there will be insignia, not completely sure where yet, but I think on the side above the three-striped side.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The older pods are still truer to form design-wise, with the exception of the fuselage mounting. By default, I have to side with those on that ground. More greebles does not always equal better detail - those ribs that break up the outer pod structure are a good example of that. The current Medusa model does a very good job of placing indentations in the launcher system and vents at their proper points.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

The older pods are still truer to form design-wise, with the exception of the fuselage mounting. By default, I have to side with those on that ground. More greebles does not always equal better detail - those ribs that break up the outer pod structure are a good example of that. The current Medusa model does a very good job of placing indentations in the launcher system and vents at their proper points.

It's a shame you actually can't see any of that detail added in the current model.

anyway, since this seems hard to get I'm going to try saying it differently

I make high-poly models of old game models not to make it look almost identical and have a larger amount of polygons, I make a high-poly model that looks different and yet has all the old parts we all know and love. Why would I waste my time on a model which in-game looks almost identical? It's like painting brick red, there's no damned need of it.

Bottom line is, I made a high-poly mesh to be an upgrade, not keep the old geometry which Volition wouldn't have likely kept to either.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:08:47 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I'm with Hades on this, I think there is a mistaken (in my view at least) view which is kinda common in the community that HTL should just improve the quality of the model (Bump mapping, more polyies etc) without improving the quality of the modelling to make those extra polies do more work, to bring out more details and greebles... I'm not wording this very well, I know, because I'm sleep deprived (about 6 hours in the past 3 days...).

Bah.. too little sleep to accurately convey my meaning.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i'm battuta, and i'm a hades

Offline Hades

note, those two engine flaps are not final, will be redone.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:36:45 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Redone?
Ok, but FYI they look good.
el hombre vicio...