Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588948 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
I'm not about to preface every paragraph I write with 'in my opinion'.
Funny, that's usually how I do things and it in my experience, it works wonders while only taking me a few extra seconds to write.
Good for you.

meanwhile, fps module still looks like utter **** (and, uh, is mostly being shown off from third person, which is p. suspicious)

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That looks so jerky, jittery, terrible and unfun. How long ago was this suppose to come out again?
It's clear they are being incredibly hampered by all the 'first person animation must match third person animations' nonsense. How can you **** up a FPS in an engine that is literally made for FPS games?

Also I can't get over the fact that its supposedly taking place like XXXXX years in the future and they are using iron sights and basically the same kind of guns you could find today. Even the latest call of duty has higher technology going on than this.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

If you look closely there's only about half a second of footage of first-person shooting in the entire video, and it looks like total ****.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

I don't have a problem with kinetic weapons but you'd think with all the super advanced technology they'd move away from ~600-1000 RPM guns with 30 round capacity.
And why are they reloading them manually? Surely with all the space tech they have they could have a much faster auto-reload system. It just looks like they nicked the FPS mechanics from some random shovelware released in 2009.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I'm not about to preface every paragraph I write with 'in my opinion'.
Funny, that's usually how I do things and it in my experience, it works wonders while only taking me a few extra seconds to write.
Good for you.
Thank you.

That's what's so ****ing crazy about it, it's not lazy shovelware: they spent years and a ridiculous amount of development resources independently redeveloping a lazy shovelware FPS.

Offline Lorric

Also I can't get over the fact that its supposedly taking place like XXXXX years in the future and they are using iron sights and basically the same kind of guns you could find today. Even the latest call of duty has higher technology going on than this.
I looked at the Star Citizen timeline. The game is set in 2945. That's nearly a thousand years. However, there could be an explanation for it. Maybe the advanced weapons exist, but it's all around more cost effective to equip personnel with these kinds of weapons. Or maybe since we're fighting in space, more powerful weapons would be dangerous if they holed whatever they were fighting on.

And also it's still a game where you need the game to be fun. Weapon technology nowadays is already ****ing scary. Firing off missiles from thousands of miles away to hit targets with near pinpoint accuracy. That kind of thing would be no fun in a game, and is why we have fighters dogfighting with each other.

But there is certainly room inbetween all that for fancy futuristic weapons. I'm thinking about Perfect Dark and the Timesplitters series which featured some very cool futuristic weapons and secondary functions to go with them and they were still fun to use. It's a missed opportunity to create some unique and eye catching weaponry. You could hand out personal shields to everyone as well and then you could have some truly ridiculous weaponry firing ridiculous amounts of bullets with the personal shields soaking up tons of damage, and if they wanted to stick with the realism thing, as soon as the shield goes down one shot can deliver the final blow. So players could tank damage from ridiculous kinetic weapons, energy weapons, weapons firing thick beams of energy, explosive ammunition, so you could tank shots from rocket launchers and the like to a limited extent, anything you can think of. Though this might be limited by what I said about holing whatever you're fighting on, there's still plenty of room between to work with. And you can bet weapons makers in the future would want to make weapons suitable for combat in space to maximise effectiveness against personnel and minimise damage to the ship.

The game is set in 2945.

they couldn't even pick the ****ing year without cribbing from something else

Offline Lorric

Well technically they didn't do that. The date isn't fixed. It's moving with the current date and started out as 2942 in 2012.

aye but lorric, riddle me this: what was going on exactly 1000 years before both 2942 and 2945

Offline Lorric

WW2. It's not going to be a WW2 story though is it? We think they're taking from the Vandals and Rome instead. I'm guessing they just wanted to start with the 42 there. It won't be 42-45 by the time it releases, if it does.

There's still no reason for the guns to look so... 1970. And if extremely strong weapons would ruin the fun then just handwave in really strong armor. Make the weapons feel futuristic and exciting. Just add some holographics, high constrast Tron lines, and make players implode when they die or something. You're not even touching game balance yet you're still making it feel more futuristic and exciting.
Or just make it seem like you're firing a lot more bullets than you actually are. Tweak the effects and the HUD while still only tracking 10-20 bullets per second to minimise CPU load. A lot of current games already do this kind of stuff with super high RPM miniguns.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:23:28 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Aesaar

Or just make it seem like you're firing a lot more bullets than you actually are. Tweak the effects and the HUD while still only tracking 10-20 bullets per second to minimise CPU load. A lot of current games already do this kind of stuff with super high RPM miniguns.
This would go against CR obsession with simulating everything.  They even have headbobbing because they can't bear the idea of the player viewpoint being a few centimeters away from the character model's eyes for a split second during the walk/run animations.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Dont know what you expected, there were bound to be kinetic weapons that resemble todays weapons in the game, they wont wow the player but they wont weird them out either. But I am sure there will be more exotic guns, too. Microwave cannon was mentioned.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

santaball and a zero-g arena were also mentioned, like the microwave cannon they haven't been mentioned again

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

welcome to the ****ING future
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:23:40 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Axem

I would just like to state my complete ire for a 1990s/early 2000s style 7 segment LCD display you'd find on a cheap calculator on this year 2900 gun.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
its an even shorter barrel G-36C
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
it looks like a G36 put through the Warhammer 40K universe without the justification for the cartoony proportions.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL