Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 593484 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
Yer SC is a game I will be waiting for the game to be in a coherent state before even thinking about picking up
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
So far my experience with the "Baby PU" has been as follows:

First time trying to install it, the launcher crashes

Second time trying to install it, something happens, my USB ports get disabled, and I have to restart my PC.

Third time trying to install it worked, however launching the game caused an immediate CTD

Second time trying to launch the game worked, but I crashed in the loading screen when trying to enter the PU

Second time trying to load the PU, it crashed again

Said **** it, I'll go mess around with my ugly **** Aurora so I launch the hangar module, get in just fine

Get in my ship, this takes around 6 seconds. Open my bunk door, about two, get in my bunk takes around 10 seconds. Something bugs out so I can't get out of my bunk, so I escape out and press "Exit to desktop"

The game crashes when Exit to Desktop is pressed.

don't touch the baby poo
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:23:36 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mikes

So far my experience with the "Baby PU" has been as follows:

First time trying to install it, the launcher crashes

Second time trying to install it, something happens, my USB ports get disabled, and I have to restart my PC.

Third time trying to install it worked, however launching the game caused an immediate CTD

Second time trying to launch the game worked, but I crashed in the loading screen when trying to enter the PU

Second time trying to load the PU, it crashed again

Said **** it, I'll go mess around with my ugly **** Aurora so I launch the hangar module, get in just fine

Get in my ship, this takes around 6 seconds. Open my bunk door, about two, get in my bunk takes around 10 seconds. Something bugs out so I can't get out of my bunk, so I escape out and press "Exit to desktop"

The game crashes when Exit to Desktop is pressed.

don't touch the baby poo

There's two sides to the coin, or 2 groups of people actually ...

... one who will say that the game will never get made and everything is lost and if anything is released at all it will be a buggy unplayable mess.

... and the other who says that people just can't handle the ups and downs of open game development and SC will be the "bestest game released so far for PC gaming ever"-

/shrugs. We'll see who's right, eventually, I guess. Possibly the truth will lay somewhere inbetween. ;-)

Also, we'll see how the Baby PU does when it's officially released as uh Alpha, and not as PTU um,... is that pre Alpha then? lol.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:42:54 am by Mikes »

Offline Hades

That's great but it has nothing to do with my excellent rendition of the popular Shakespear play, titled Attempting to Star Citizen
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

OK, it's been a rough road to here, but I think this video sums up just why we should all be so excited about Star Citizen:

When I watched this video, I didn't just see a game set to revolutionise the industry -- nay, the medium. I saw the pinnacle of our accomplishment as a species, a vision of humanity everlasting. I was left a child, staring into the embers of dying stars; and I am ready to hurl my wallet into the void of space with no fear
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'll send you the bill for my overloaded sarcasm detector tomorrow.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lorric

1:18 - So the Earth Realm are hosting the Star Citizen timeline's Mortal Kombat. Man, the Shokan are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this guy. They've really let things slide.

Some of those bugs are hilarious.

Does anyone know if the lawsuit on The Escapist went ahead? I can't find anything, but I don't know if for such a thing there wouldn't be any talk of it.

Meanwhile the money continues to just roll in. Recently I looked and they had about $96.5M and over 1M star citizens. Now they have $99.7M. So very soon they will hit $100M. Surely if the money continues to flow at that speed they won't go bust. But how long can it continue? Surely it can't continue indefinitely.

I found a stats thing they have. It says they took in $681,399 on November 29th alone, and $5,374,050 in November. That was more than any of the other listed 6 months and October was more than the other 5 months. The rate they're taking in money is soaring rather than showing any signs of slowing down. Just this week they've taken in $3,027,358, so December is probably going to shatter November for the amount they've taken in at this rate.

Offline Hades

Even though my last attempt at immersing myself in the fidelity and vision of Chris Roberts ended in me furiously masturbating to a Monopoly board out of frustrated failure, I figured I'd not given Star Citizen the fair 37 tries it deserved when the most recent patch hit.

First attempt at updating the game resulted in my USB ports being disabled again, which I'm assuming is righteous punishment for ever doubting the project. Second attempt went along fine, though I realized that Star Citizen basically redownloaded itself for the update instead of using a patch. I'm guessing it's some kind of new and improved way of doing it, because surely if small patches were the way to go they've have been doing them a year or two ago?

Got ingame, seriously hyped to have the time of my life. First attempt had me load for 5 minutes and then get shot back to the main menu with a message that said "Error - kicked from the server". This message would not go away when clicking the "ok" button, probably designed by the same people working on crosshairs. So I try loading into again, it works, however the damned message is still there. Before I can experience the immersion of head-bobbing, I notice that not only is the motion blur terrible, windowed mode simply does not work. The cursor will move out of the window leaving you unable to actually turn. I quit out, to make a config to disable motion blur. I get back in game, set it to fullscreen, and proceed to get error messages saying I've either been kicked from the server or have been disconnected for the next 6-odd attempts, none of the ok button presses on any of these messages actually makes them go away.

BDSSE

e:  Gotta go find my Monopoly board again

edit2:
Does anyone know if the lawsuit on The Escapist went ahead? I can't find anything, but I don't know if for such a thing there wouldn't be any talk of it.
No that was just a part of Robert's coke-fueled ranting that went nowhere, sort of like when he talks about the game itself
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:27:06 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mikes

No that was just a part of Robert's coke-fueled ranting that went nowhere, sort of like when he talks about the game itself

Yes... use your aggressive feelings boy, let the hate flow through you, good ...

Offline Aesaar

Very unlikely, because under US libel laws, they'd almost certainly lose.  CIG are as full of **** as Derek Smart.

Meanwhile the money continues to just roll in. Recently I looked and they had about $96.5M and over 1M star citizens. Now they have $99.7M. So very soon they will hit $100M. Surely if the money continues to flow at that speed they won't go bust. But how long can it continue? Surely it can't continue indefinitely.
They always get a surge of money around October and November because of CitCon and the anniversary sale.  The reason it's such a huge difference is because June, July, August, and September were record lows.  They actually made less money this November than they did last November.  Funding is definitely slowing down. Goons and DS calculated that their operating costs are probably around $2M per month (take that with a grain of salt), which would explain the recent downsizing in Austin and rush to get something out for the November sale.  If the November sale had been a bust, they'd have been in serious trouble.  As it is, October and November probably got them enough to last for another few months until the next jpeg sale.

I think they're very quickly starting to reach market saturation.  Hence the ponzi scheme referral program, unlimited sale of ships like the Idris (which was offered only in small batches before), and the fact that they didn't let people use store credit when they sold their "limited" Mary Sue ship (the Constellation Phoenix) again.  Hell, when SQ42 bundles were on sale (again, no store credit) they said only 5000 (I think) were available, but they kept refilling the number when it ran low.

/shrugs. We'll see who's right, eventually, I guess. Possibly the truth will lay somewhere inbetween. ;-)
Golden Mean Fallacy.

And it is in alpha.  Even CIG call it an alpha.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:22:47 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

I found a stats thing they have. It says they took in $681,399 on November 29th alone, and $5,374,050 in November. That was more than any of the other listed 6 months and October was more than the other 5 months. The rate they're taking in money is soaring rather than showing any signs of slowing down. Just this week they've taken in $3,027,358, so December is probably going to shatter November for the amount they've taken in at this rate.
At the rate this is going, they'll soon be building those ships in 1:1 scale and launching them into space. With that kind of money, why make it a computer game? :) Buy a few SLS launches and set up a fully functional deep space colony for one million people to live in.

Offline Mikes

At the rate this is going, they'll soon be building those ships in 1:1 scale and launching them into space. With that kind of money, why make it a computer game? :) Buy a few SLS launches and set up a fully functional deep space colony for one million people to live in.

:g: thanks for the image of someone launching a bunch of Star Citizen model space ships with a real life rocket. Actually, that would be as hilarious as it would be doable:P

Also: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/292247/rsi-constellation-takes-flight-in-microgravity LOL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, 60 million $ will buy you a full-sized Falcon from Space X. :) Be that one could at least loft a real-scale Aurora into LEO. Are the masses of the ships available somewhere?

Joking aside, I won't be surprised in the slightest if some Star Citizen merchandise finds its way aboard the ISS. I don't know if they'd be able to get it cleared for that, but a reasonably sized model with a nitrogen bottle inside an a number of cold gas thrusters could be stuck inside airlock and flown around a bit outside (it's about as complex a problem as making an RC aircraft). A ridiculous proposition, but not entirely implausible. Seems like exactly the kind of thing you do when you get too much money too quickly. :)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The idea that CIG could have bought a real, honest to God ****ing spaceship and had $30 million left over, but can't get their fake, virtual spaceships to work is hilarious.

Ugh. I just listened to that godawful Gary Oldman speech from that trailer. It reminded me of Indrick Boreale's speech from Dawn of War: Soulstorm (link for reference).

If a tree falls in a forest and it hits a mime, are all of the mime's blood vessels and internal organs properly simulated to create truly immersive injuries?

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Funding is definitely slowing down. Goons and DS calculated that their operating costs are probably around $2M per month (take that with a grain of salt)

They have $100 million, so if they operating costs are $2 million per month, by naive calculation they have enough money to go for 50 months. Star Citizen is in development for only three years currently, so that is a year of cash reserve remaining.  Not to mention that operating costs at the beginning of development were certainly lower than now, thus my calculation probably underestimates their true cash reserves..
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Aesaar

Funding is definitely slowing down. Goons and DS calculated that their operating costs are probably around $2M per month (take that with a grain of salt)

They have $100 million, so if they operating costs are $2 million per month, by naive calculation they have enough money to go for 50 months. Star Citizen is in development for only three years currently, so that is a year of cash reserve remaining.  Not to mention that operating costs at the beginning of development were certainly lower than now, thus my calculation probably underestimates their true cash reserves..
That $2M is in salaries and rent.  It does not cover things like building three mocap studios and hiring two others (including the goddamn Imaginarium).  It doesn't cover the costs of a new office in Santa Monica.  It doesn't cover needing to pay for celebrity voice actors.  It doesn't cover taking a vacation to Monaco during the Grand Prix, and it doesn't cover purchases like paying $2000 for a desk (and that's by no means the only piece of insanely overpriced furniture they bought off that site).  It is their basic month-to-month expenses.

Game started development in Dec. 2011, btw.  Chris said they'd already been working for a year when he explained why a 2014 release date was feasible (lol).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:16:45 am by Aesaar »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Also, FYI, they have *raised* $100 million. That doesn't mean they have that amount right now. In fact, they almost certainly don't, since that sum was raised over a couple years, which means they were burning it at the same time they were bringing it in...which is why it would be interesting to see how much they actually have on hand.

Offline 666maslo666

That $2M is in salaries and rent.  It does not cover things like building three mocap studios and hiring two others (including the goddamn Imaginarium).  It doesn't cover the costs of a new office in Santa Monica.  It doesn't cover needing to pay for celebrity voice actors.  It doesn't cover taking a vacation to Monaco during the Grand Prix, and it doesn't cover purchases like paying $2000 for a desk (and that's by no means the only piece of insanely overpriced furniture they bought off that site).  It is their basic month-to-month expenses.

Game started development in Dec. 2011, btw.  Chris said they'd already been working for a year when he explained why a 2014 release date was feasible (lol).

They have worked on the game since 2011 but that was more of a pre-production phase, which does not cost much. It wasnt until late 2013 (two years ago) that the number of developers increased considerably up to current levels. And they also have income from subscribers, which supposedly goes to cover marketing and community costs (probably that table, too) and is not counted in the crowdfunded sum.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline 666maslo666

Also, FYI, they have *raised* $100 million. That doesn't mean they have that amount right now.

Of course, they certainly do not have $100 million because certain sum was spent already. We are trying to estimate how much.