Author Topic: Can't complete Gerar's Judgement  (Read 4401 times)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Can't complete Gerar's Judgement
I'm currently having a lot of trouble completing Gerar's Judgement. I've tried a lot of different strats, both on Medium and on Very Easy, but there's nothing to do, there's just not enough firepower to take down the Cardinal before it jumps out. If the Trafalgar or the jammer ship don't get destroyed in the meantime..

I really feel like the balance is all over the place in this mission. My bomber has absurdly strong shields, in 10 minutes there are like 40 fighters that are launched from the Cardinal, when Gamma is ordered to take down the missile launchers it doesn't succeed so you have to take out those yourselves while being in inferiority numbers.. And your Alpha wingmen don't really contribute to the effort very much.

The icing of the cake is that the Engine subsystem of the Cardinal is hard-coded to stay at 33%. That's the most terrible mechanism I have ever seen. The Engine is hard enough to destroy as it is, it takes like approx. 20 tsunami bombs to take it down that's a lot. The least you could have done is to allow the player to disable the Cardinal.

This mission might be doable if I replace Medusas by Ursas, and carry Harbinger. But as it stands, I simply see no way out of it. I could suicide my way out of it but that would be a shame.

Is there anyone who managed to complete that mission? If so, what strat did you apply?

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Re: Can't complete Gerar's Judgement
Spoiler:
You're not actually supposed to be able to kill the Cardinal
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Spoiler:
You're not actually supposed to be able to kill the Cardinal
Spoiler:
Oh my god. You mean that instead of resetting when Cardinal jumps, I should have waited. Damn I feel stupid now. lol

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, debriefing stages with recommendations are there for a reason...  :rolleyes:

For example, they give tips about, how to rethink a specific strategy. One of the prime freespace rules: Never end a mission, before you are told to do so  :D
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You get some serious promotion points for trying this hard though. :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
You get some serious promotion points for trying this hard though. :)
Best I managed was getting him down to 15% ! But the GTD Destroyer was at 4%.. lol

I did nothing but throw tsunami bombs from within the fighterbay, then going to rearm, repeat.. with an occasional sortie to destroy comm subsystem & missile launchers, while ordering my wingmen to protect the science vessel.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
So yesterday i flawlessly managed to beat the mission on Insane ! Hurray :D

Spoiler:
It's so much easier when you don't have to focus fire on the Cardinal and instead just focus on protecting the allied ships

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
:)

You get lots of varied orders in the mission for a reason!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Redox

Do you mean stopping what you're doing and follow each new order? Ive tried several times and either I fail or all hostiles jump out and no new orders come through and we just float along in space like the mission is broken.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
You have to take out the Cardinal Navigation system to delay it's jump and also you have to protect the Science Vessel long enough, until the Intrepid arrives. After that the mission should only fail, if the Intrepid gets destroyed... and the protection of it is way easier since the 3.8 update.

And yes, as not stated otherwise, every new order should have always a higher priority than previous ones... it would make sense if that is also the normal practice in every real-life military  :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:25:27 am by Novachen »
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
You have to take out the Cardinal Navigation system to delay it's jump and also you have to protect the Science Vessel long enough, until the Intrepid arrives. After that the mission should only fail, if the Intrepid gets destroyed... and the protection of it is way easier since the 3.8 update.

And yes, as not stated otherwise, every new order should have always a higher priority than previous ones... it would make sense if that is also the normal practice in every real-life military  :D
Just curious, what does 3.8 add that make easier the protection of the GTD Intrepid?

Offline Novachen

• Twitter

Just curious, what does 3.8 add that make easier the protection of the GTD Intrepid?

It was even on Very Easy very hard to get the medal in this mission or even to save the Intrepid in the first place if the player was not fast enough to reach it. But that requires, that the player had already to know what will happen. Some players of my translation complained about that difficult spike in the campaign back then.

The 3.8 compatibility update added a whole new defending wing aswell a 50% stronger hull for the GTD Intrepid.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:53:53 am by Novachen »

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player

It was even on Very Easy very hard to get the medal in this mission or even to save the Intrepid in the first place if the player was not fast enough to reach it. But that requires, that the player had already to know what will happen. Some players of my translation complained about that difficult spike in the campaign back then.

The 3.8 compatibility update added a whole new defending wing aswell a 50% stronger hull for the GTD Intrepid.
Even on Insane I managed to do it, but I had to be at 200% focus and Intrepid came close to dying (i think it was around 20% or so when it left). Without the stronger hull and the additional wing i'd have to switch to a lower difficulty for sure. There's a damn lot of bombers :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:45:27 am by potterman28wxcv »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Yes in 3.8 this battle is much easier. In the initial release, this mission was very hard in comparsion to others in this campaign.

Actually i was able to beat it on Insane back then, but was not able to get the medal, for that the Intrepid needs to be over 40% hull status left iirc. It got through with ~10% only.

In the current version it is much more likely to got it through with over 40% in all difficulties.